Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Luton Olympic funded Swimming Pool introduces "Men only" swim times watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...n-only-sessio/
    "A swimming pool has introduced gender segregated sessions with bathers required to cover up from "navel to knee" for "cultural reasons".

The Inspire Sports Village in Stopsley, Luton, Beds., built using taxpayer-funded Olympic money, will give men exclusive access to the larger 50 metre competitive pool on Friday evenings, while women will be able to use the smaller 20 metre community pool."

Not a good idea in my opinion. As someone who does quite a lot of swimming I'd rather than ban slow people instead regardless of whether they're male or female, young or old.

But seriously I thought the whole "separate but equal" thing was thrown out back in the Civil Rights era (yes I know that was race more than gender but it should be a universal principle). This doesn't even fulfil the "equal" part as it makes women use the smaller pool.
    Finally, an end to women getting all the free handouts, whilst men just get trodden on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMouseyS)
    Yeah K sit down. I live in rural Cheshire and there isn't a single Muslim for miles and the only two local swimming baths in my town are segregated by gender.

So maybe we should "stop pandering" to the bigoted misognyist white grannies that largely populate my town? x
    If you're pretending this has nothing to do with Islam you're being wilfully blind.Women and men are segregated all over the muslim world and this is just an extension of that.We have segregated swim pools here just like we have women only gym times here.I'm not saying that thats right.However that tends to be in order to benefit women.This is not intended to benefit women but to discriminate against them.It even says in the article its for cultural reasons.The same cultural reasons that keep women covered head to toe in saudi arabia and not allowed to drive.

ReputationRep:
    Why bother covering from navel to knee when there's only one gender in the pool anyway?

ReputationRep:
    You've clearly never been to a public swimming pool. Most swimming pools across the country have gender segregation at allotted times as they always have - it's really nothing new.

You confused children really should stop taking the Daily Mail as bible and see what the real world's actually like x
    Sorry but you're wrong:
    I use several public swimming pools regularly. None segregate on gender.
    Yes they do occasionally segregate on age but that makes sense - IE mixing in older people who generally swim at a glacial pace with kids who only want to mess around & then those like myself who are interested in swimming relatively quickly for fitness doesn't work all that well. But men & women at a basic level don't have much of a difference when it comes to swimming. I know plenty of female swimmers who are better than me.

Personally I do find it slightly disturbing when middle aged blokes turn up wearing attire like Speedo Briefs this but it doesn't affect my workout, just as it doesn't sharing a pool with women.

If there's blokes out there of any colour, creed or religion that do think like that then their idiots IMO.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I see your point. I struggle to get worked up about an hour a week at a leisure centre in a town I'll probably never go to.

Private clubs are funded through their memberships though so they're perfectly entitled to do what they like, publicly funded should mean open to all the public.
    Yes, they should. But nothing's perfect, and this is the country at large - in a stroke, any government in the last 20 years could easily have told private members clubs that they can't do this anymore - but no one has. So that's it.

Women can still swim - just not at that particular pool. I don't like it, but I'll never use the facility and I'm not that particular kind of hypocrite, so I don't really care either way.

ReputationRep:
    I think it you have both men only and women only times then there's no issue (although I do find it ridiculous).

However, beyond covering genitalia any further clothing requirement should not be allowed. An infringement on western values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    I can understand a Adults only swim time but there is no good reason for a man only time. This is a disgusting Practice and should be stopped. if you are offended by knees and women showing skin you probably should learn to live with it.
    Why learn to live with it if you can change something to how you want it?

ReputationRep:
    You've clearly never been to a public swimming pool. Most swimming pools across the country have gender segregation at allotted times as they always have - it's really nothing new.

You confused children really should stop taking the Daily Mail as bible and see what the real world's actually like x
    I don't know what pools you're going to lmao

ReputationRep:
    As a regular and very accomplished swimmer I do find the women's only times ridiculous although fortunately they never coincide with when I go to swim. There definitely shouldn't be either male only or female only times, it serves no real purpose in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    This has been happening for years.
    Do you guys live under a rock or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    For the past 15 years my local gym and swimming centre has had Women Only section/days so people can't use the 'gender inequality' argument here, wonder if people would be making a big deal out of this if they didn't use 'cultural reasons' as an excuse...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.