Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it bad for a 20 year old to date a 16 year old? Watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It depends on how emotionally mature you both are. But me personally I wouldn't want to date someone that young. But shouldn't stop you two <3

ReputationRep:
    let her focus on her GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    2 Year difference......

ReputationRep:
    While people would say that " It is a small age gap" I would say that maturity from 16 to 20 is very different for most people. So yes I would say it is wrong

(Original post by Angry Bird)
    She's finished her GCSEs. She isn't in school she's in college

(Original post by wickedisgood)
    Doesn't really matter imo. It was still born from when you were her mentor, meaning that you were overstepping your position in a way that is inappropriate.

Imagine you finishing school at 16 and one of your old teachers coming up to you in the summer holidays and asking you out. It's weird and inappropriate, even if they aren't your teacher anymore.
    I don't see how I am overstepping my position since I haven't don't anything inappropriate and I don't intend to do anything until my job is finished and I'm no longer her mentor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't see how I am overstepping my position since I haven't don't anything inappropriate and I don't intend to do anything until my job is finished and I'm no longer her mentor.
    I'm sure her parents will not be pleased. Find someone your own age.

(Original post by lonyeka)
    I'm sure her parents will not be pleased. Find someone your own age.
    Not every relationship has to be with someone your own age. I know people in relationships who have age gaps a lot larger than 4 years. Yeah her parents might not be pleased at first but they can always come around to the idea.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    2 year rule mate, 2 year rule.
    ^

Admittedly my girlf is 4 years old than me, but that just makes me a #lad, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    ^

Admittedly my girlf is 4 years old than me, but that just makes me a #lad, right?
    Yep, 100% #lad.

Assuming you're 22 I think it starts to matter less. 20 and 16 and is a lot different to 22 and 26.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and it's also weird af IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    As opposed to her A levels, undergraduate degree, career/professional examinations?

(Original post by eden3)
    Yes, and it's also weird af IMO.
    I'm just curious, what do you find weird about it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any problem with it personally, as long as you don't mind ending up on a register and catching the attention of Operation Yewtree.

ReputationRep:
    It's bad and inappropriate while you are her mentor. You're in position of trust so it is actually illegal until she's 18. You also don't want another kid reporting you two and you end up out of job in the best case scenario. That happened to my mate, he was a teacher and some girl he taught in a previous year didn't like the end grade so faked some Facebook messages and reported him. Even though it was clearly fake and it was proven, he was so ostracised that he didn't even come back to work after he was suspended during the investigation.

ReputationRep:
    Not every relationship has to be with someone your own age. I know people in relationships who have age gaps a lot larger than 4 years. Yeah her parents might not be pleased at first but they can always come around to the idea.
    That's true but not at this age. Her parents will not necessarily come around - I know if I were a parent I wouldn't approve of a 20 year old, who was my 16 year old daughter's ex mentor. Not ever. And I'm 16 myself.

ReputationRep:
    It always makes me laugh how you get liberals on TSR who think a 20 year old guy with a 16 year old girl is wrong, but it's completely ok for your 16 year old son to have a homosexual gangbang or it's ok to give your 14 year old daughter hormones to turn her into a man. :rofl:

I'm just curious, what do you find weird about it?
    Stop questioning yourself, wait until your mentoring ends and then ask her.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and I've recently been working as a mentor with a group of 16 year old students. Anyway I've gotten quite close to one of them and we get on really well. She flirts with me a lot and sometimes I do flirt back and I've started to realise that I do like her. I wouldn't do anything while I'm still at work since it isn't allowed but I was thinking about asking her out when my job has finished. Do you think this is a good idea or not and why? Do you think it's ok for a 20 year old guy to date a 16 year old girl?
    this is so wrong...

the age gap between you is way too big anyway at her age, there is a huge difference in maturity between the two of you... aside from that you are in a position of responsibility over her which means this is incredibly inappropriate and bordering on grooming, that difference in power between you won't go if you get in a relationship and you are exploiting her vulnerability if you start sleeping with her or anything

add in to this that on a personal level if anyone finds out about it from your old employer you will never get a reference and they will probably try and prevent you getting any other employment, if I was them I would be thinking you have the potential to develop into much worse...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    Yes it is bad. As a mentor you are in a position of power and trust, and to abuse that is very inappropriate.
    Also, as a 20 year old, you should know that the way your mind works at 16 is wildly different to 20 (or at least it is for most people) and so there is no way she is mature enough for you to have an equal, balanced, healthy relationship that is born out of anything but pure lust, which again is inappropriate if you are meant to be her mentor.
    You probably don't like her, you like the attention. Find someone closer to your own age that is 18 or above, please.
    This

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you're questioning it at all shows that you think it's wrong.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.