Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BoE cuts interest rate to 0.25%, £60bn of extra QE Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    The Bank of England is the 55th central bank to ease interest rates this year.
    Does that include Zimbabwe?

ReputationRep:
    -£60bn in extra QE
    -£10bn in extra high quality corporate bond purchases
    -Up to £100bn towards Long Term Funding scheme for banks

ReputationRep:
    Mark Carney is currently speaking, says the Bank of England can't fully offset the structural shock caused by Brexit with its new monetary package.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Does that include Zimbabwe?
    No.

I got the statistic from here:
    https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/video/...-Decision.html

ReputationRep:
    No.

I got the statistic from here:
    https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/video/...-Decision.html
    It's interesting that the £ is falling again now as a result. I presume this was factored in by the MPC but it shows that the markets continue to think the GB economy is in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting that the £ is falling again now as a result. I presume this was factored in by the MPC but it shows that the markets continue to think the GB economy is in trouble.
    Yeah that's true, my guess is that the news today that the BoE has cut 2017 growth from 2.3% to 0.8% has led to this fall in the pound.

ReputationRep:
    Terrible news as I have about a million pounds in svings

ReputationRep:
    BoE scared of recession much?

ReputationRep:
    Not really interesting. It is the expected responce to an interest rate drop.

Sensible decision, QE seems a good move considering inflation is so low anyway. Better to be overresponsive than under.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Economists' expectations for interest rate announcement (source: Bloomberg):
    90.4% think it will be 0.25
    3.8% think it will stay at 0.5
    3.8% think it will be 0.10
    2% think it will be cut to 0
    Similar figures were released last month. I find the most intriguing thing is Carney basically saying to Sky "we had no real data to base our decision off, we just did it on the off chance something goes wrong later on," is that really the sort of attitude the governor of the BoE should be taking?

ReputationRep:
    Sure, they are all based on "Base Rate + such-and-such a percentage" - I was amusing myself thinking of a situation where the base rate hits -2% and we get products 'charging' a rate of -0.5% on the mortgage. Of course, in the real world, they will find a way round it. :sad:

Note that the B of E has not ruled out further cuts in rates this morning.
    There is a difference between the rates offered for banks to HOLD your money on deposit and LEND you money for a mortgage. So while your savings account might 'earn' a -% your mortgage rate will be most certainly be a +%.

I have an offset mortgage so if the interest rate on my savings drops below the mortgage rate I will simply stick it in the savings account linked to the mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    There is a difference between the rates offered for banks to HOLD your money on deposit and LEND you money for a mortgage. So while your savings account might 'earn' a -% your mortgage rate will be most certainly be a +%.

I have an offset mortgage so if the interest rate on my savings drops below the mortgage rate I will simply stick it in the savings account linked to the mortgage.
    Of course there is, but theoretically if the SVR offered is, say, "base rate +0.5%" then that should become negative once base rate goes below -0.5%.

I realise (as I said) that in the real world, mortgage lenders have customers sign contracts that prevent that kind of thing, or at least, leave the lenders sufficiently in charge to issue some gobbledegook explaining why they can't pass on the latest reduction (which some are not today) but that didn't prevent my moment of whimsical longing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.