Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    I got download speeds of about ~1MBit/s on a good day. Most of the time it was painfully slow and their 'fibre' is a bloody joke. so slow, customer service is abysmal and when we said we'd have to leave them unless we could get our issues resolved the support agent just said: "Yeah, OK good luck." and hung up. So we moved to Virgin and oh my god. So much better. I average speeds of 210MBit/s and have had a router replaced no questions asked. Excellent customer service and they don't treat you like an idiot - which is especially annoying... they were always condescending and rude and never helpful.

Please don't choose Sky LTC. It'll send you up the wall.
    What? I live in London and I frequently get speeds of 72Mbps and the customer service is great.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by MrIso)
    What? I live in London and I frequently get speeds of 72Mbps and the customer service is great.
    I can't reproduce this from my experience. I'm glad that you haven't had these issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I work for Sky and I can tell you it's the best internet around. No bias :yep:

Definitely get it please
    Are you a BSkyB employee?

I'm with Virgin and they're great. Fast speeds, and consistent uptime. Never really have to contact support unless I want an upgrade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iHammmy)
    The free routers companies provide are awful. Literally any other router would be an upgrade
    My sky router never missed a beat?? Obviously these companies are going to provide the most basic router given they are giving millions away for *free* but i would expect their product to do its job reasonably
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Crystalyne)
    Are you a BSkyB employee?

I'm with Virgin and they're great. Fast speeds, and consistent uptime. Never really have to contact support unless I want an upgrade
    Yep! I work in DevOps.

I've used sky for years and never had any issues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    My sky router never missed a beat?? Obviously these companies are going to provide the most basic router given they are giving millions away for *free* but i would expect their product to do its job reasonably
    Just saying, the routers they provide are awful and you should upgrade immediately

ReputationRep:
    One thing worth pointing out is that it won't be Sky that is the arbiter of whether you receive good broadband. Chances are, it will be BT Openreach who own the cable that goes to your house. Your broadband quality will be determined by the quality of the cable and distance to the nearest exchange / junction box. To this end, I have always gone with Virgin. They may be a bit more expensive, but if you get their cable offering, it is a bespoke coax cable with much higher bandwidth capability than the copper telephone wire that goes to most houses. Just a thought.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.