Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they 'send' you anywhere...it's up to you where to apply, you have to go through interviews and stuff before you get the job. And although I don't know much about placement years here, my friend who did a placement year at my old uni got more help from the company he was going to - they introduced him to the other placement students from other uni's who were going to the same company and they found a house between them.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, great article for myself as I've applied for a Auto MEng 5 year myself.
    In terms of getting placements, what sort of things help? Do they pay much attention to A-level grades? Do they look at first year grades? Extra-ciricular interests (formula student for example), Interviews etc etc?

Thanks alot guys, Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benny_b)
    Hi guys, great article for myself as I've applied for a Auto MEng 5 year myself.
    In terms of getting placements, what sort of things help? Do they pay much attention to A-level grades? Do they look at first year grades? Extra-ciricular interests (formula student for example), Interviews etc etc?

Thanks alot guys, Ben
    I was asked about my first year grades and the second year results that I had when I applied at JM. As for A levels and the rest, it'll vary from company to company what they consider more important. But good grades, previous experience and a balanced non-study life are always a help! (And again with interviews/assessment centers it'll vary by company what the procedure is.)

ReputationRep:
    Many companies will help you find accomodation yes, either with other placement or graduate students. Put it this way - you're going to be working for them, and doing a job, so it's in their interests for you to be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking from limited experience, I would say if you can get an interview, or talk to someone, a lot is based on this.

So if you think the interview goes well (i.e. you both seemed to feel quite relaxed, you had answers to questions, you had questions to ask and the time flies) then you'll probably be ok.

If the interview didn't go so well, then you probably don't want to work there anyway:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I don't think they 'send' you anywhere...it's up to you where to apply
    Most companies are really good and some will pay for you to stay in a B&B for a few weeks until you find somewhere to rent.
    However one of my friends had a placement in Suffolk near home and after a few weeks he was posted to Scotland for 3 months! I don't think they paid him any lodging allowance and when he came back from there they were paying him but not giving him anything to do so he resigned.

Everyone else I know really enjoyed their placements and the companies were really good to them - most offered them jobs when they graduated too which is handy even if you turn them down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemenglloyd)
    just wondering .. if they do end up sending u far far away , do they give you a hand finding a flat with outer placement people etc. ?
    I went to two small local companys who where not offering accomodation support, but they where only recruting one student, and where within easy comuting distace from loughborough.
    - BUt certainly all the bigger companys where offering a form of support, usally a B&B/Hotel for the first week or so, so you can meet other placments students and find a house.

Alternatlivly JCB own half of uttoxeter, so all of there placments students are offered a place within JCB owned accomdation in the balence street area of the town for a rediculasly low price.

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    CivEng industrial placements are primarily with your sponsorship company, all the MEng and virtually all of the BEng will be sponsored by the end of the first year if they haven't done it themselves already. Your usually placed in a contract of some sort then which means you have to do your year placement with them and also all the summers for usually 8 weeks.

Salaries will very depending on who your working for, generally 15k is the norm for CivEng but some companies (mine) offer living away allowances which add 6k onto that. Getting a placement exactly where you want it or near home etc with CivEng is unlikely and most people will be expected to live away.

ReputationRep:
    the business school has a placement office who are extremely helpful in finding you a placement - every student from the business school HAS to do a placement. and as others have said, diff companies will vary on diff things - if its a small company taking on maybe one student, they are unlikely to offer you accom, however bigger companies who take on a group of students may have houses already in place

as for if you are guaranteed a placement if you do well....of course the better you do the better the placement you will get, if you get very bad results then of course the better companies wont want you! however everyone always seems to get a placement, altho some peop0le may have to settle for poor ones if they have not got their asses in gear or have got poor resuklts

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get a placement abroad? I was thinking of Munich. I plan to move there when I graduate, so making some links/developing my language early would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    Think it depends on the department...

I asked mine on my open day and they said they aren't keen on it - if you sort it out yourself then fine, but they weren't going to help!!

-x-

ReputationRep:
    I wanna try and get a placement in Scotland...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GεεRTHAN)
    I wanna try and get a placement in Scotland...

Why?:p:

Although the roads are fantastic if you're into your motorcycle touring

ReputationRep:
    I wanna get a placement in New Zealand...I think it's unlikely tho :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not really year in industry, but I've got an interview at Renault F1 in a couple of weeks to see if I get to do my final year project there! *squee!*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zipster)
    Why?:p:

Although the roads are fantastic if you're into your motorcycle touring
    Just spent a week up in Scotland...(Edinburgh..Stirling. .Loch Ness...Inverness..and various other little towns)...and I have fallen in love with Scotland...and wouldn't mind getting a job up there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GεεRTHAN)
    Just spent a week up in Scotland...(Edinburgh..Stirling. .Loch Ness...Inverness..and various other little towns)...and I have fallen in love with Scotland...and wouldn't mind getting a job up there...
    Quite Understandable, good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib)
    Not really year in industry, but I've got an interview at Renault F1 in a couple of weeks to see if I get to do my final year project there! *squee!*
    That's awesome:eek: Too bad Fernando Alonso left, would have been cool for you to work with last year's winner:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Von_Dutch)
    That's awesome:eek: Too bad Fernando Alonso left, would have been cool for you to work with last year's winner:p:
    Yer, that and I totally fancy the pants off the guy! *grins* Soooo scared!

ReputationRep:
    But but....he's so.....uuuugly :p:

...but working with/for renault F1 sounds awesome

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.