• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    There is no "need" for Gay pride. especially in this country.
    Sorry, but why on earth does it affect you in any way whatsoever?

Realistically, even if there were absolutely no homophobia or discrimination here - which obviously isn't the case - it's still a chance for people to celebrate, as well as to raise awareness of the awful situation LGBT+ people have in other countries.

Whilst there is still negative attitudes towards LGBT+, and there are people afraid to come out, there is every need for Pride.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    1. Other events and festivals have this too.
    2. Other events and festivals have this too.
    3. Other events and festivals have this too.

Because so many people are so narrow minded and unaccepting, even just on this thread there is evidence of this.
    I don't go to many festivals or events.
    If it was a straight white male pride event and it drew such large crowds I would not go to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Sorry, but why on earth does it affect you in any way whatsoever?

Realistically, even if there were absolutely no homophobia or discrimination here - which obviously isn't the case - it's still a chance for people to celebrate, as well as to raise awareness of the awful situation LGBT+ people have in other countries.

Whilst there is still negative attitudes towards LGBT+, and there are people afraid to come out, there is every need for Pride.
    It affects me because I wanted to go to Brighton.

And yeah I agree it is bad in other countries but I just dislike the whole Festival thing.

Last time in london it was the most annoying thing ever.

To cross 1 ROAD we had to get on a tube and then sitting down for a nice meal all we could hear was whistles and shouting. Not to forget half naked men and women dressed as women and men or whatnot approaching me trying to hand me a flag or kill or hug me. I dont want this no matter what the cause is
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salamandastron)
    i do actually agree with this, I wouldn't go to pride either because I hate crowds
    there is a difference between avoiding somewhere because there will be LGB and avoiding it because it is noisy and crowded
    i don't really think there is a need for pride either, not because ppl should be ashamed of it just because idk what it achieves but if people want to do that then they can and i get why ppl would want to
    I don't go to many festivals or events.
    If it was a straight white male pride event and it drew such large crowds I would not go to it.
    Just like other events and festivals where you decide not to go, just don't go to Pride then. Simple. I've not been to Pride, but doesn't mean we should stop it because we don't go to it.

Getting me to "explain why we need gay pride" clearly infers it's more than just the event though, or you would do what others do and just not go - just like I would avoid carnivals, even if there is no "need" for them, I am not going to stand in the way of peoples' fun. Just like you don't "need" to comment on this thread of you have nothing constructive to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

And yeah I agree it is bad in other countries but I just dislike the whole Festival thing.

To cross 1 ROAD we had to get on a tube and then sitting down for a nice meal all we could hear was whistles and shouting. Not to forget half naked men and women dressed as women and men or whatnot approaching me trying to hand me a flag or kill or hug me. I dont want this no matter what the cause is
    I feel like you're making two separate points at the moment. And one I find fairly reasonable, but the other I disagree with

I think not liking festivals/marches in general is entirely up to you, and I can't deny that it is frustrating when you're delayed by things out of your control, or people stopping you from getting around as easily.

However, I think it's not fair to say that Pride isn't needed, as there are a lot of people in this country still afraid to come out, and who have experienced - or still experience - discrimination. If the festival helps even a few people overcome their fears, or raises awareness to the same affect, I personally consider it to be worthwhile and valuable.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    oh no i dont mean stop it lol, i just mean i personally wouldnt go, other people can go if they want ofc and i've never been to a festival or carnival so i wouldnt know
    Agreed - same with Glastonbury, looks really fun but I'm not sure I could handle the crowds :lol:
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    :lol: it all looks fun tbh, in a way i wish that i would go but im just too scared, maybe eventually
    and :hugs: x
    For now, we can watch and celebrate from a far (like on TSR in the comfort of our own home :giggle: ) Hope you're doing well :hugs: x

ReputationRep:
    Any fit non camp lads in it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I also don't want to be stared at, beat up, verbally abused, raped or murdered for being gay but sadly, this is the world I live in - in the West and elsewhere. I apologise for one day of celebrations and defiance interrupted your journey. That clearly invalidates an entire event that gives us a voice, 100%.

Spoiler:
    Show
    ... no.

ReputationRep:
    These people who say that there is no need for Pride. Honestly what have you been smoking? Not even two months ago, 49 people were killed in a gay club for being LGBT. If you google the Albert Kennedy trust you will find shocking figures about homeless LGBT+ youth. So far this year 12 trans people have been murdered. I went to Sheffield Pride last weekend, and even then the LGBT+ community had to face a group of hateful religious people shouting into a megaphone that we were 'sexually perverted abominations who would burn in hell' .Yeah, God forbid we get to have a day in Brighton where we get to create a safe space, protest, open new dialogues and have some fun, just because it inconveniences a few ignorant TSR users. You people need a reality check.

P.S. I am glad that TSR supports Pride and I hope everyone in Brighton has a fantastic day!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.