• Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    I'm 100% sure my SO wouldn't have got a first on her dissertation if it wasn't for my proof reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine might have just missed the first because my proofreading was a bit shoddy But he had a first in every other assigment so there was no major harm done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Never been in a relationship before. I am hoping to find someone in Uni, but I have read this is a bad idea but not sure why? I was also wondering if it is difficult to find someone at Uni as I am looking for a long term relationship ideally, not a short term fling?

Thanks
    IMO I think that having a relationship in uni is not a good idea, because you'll both be in the same learning environment in which its easy to get distracted, the drama that comes with it and if you break up with each other, it would be hard to move on as you have to see them nearly everyday.

Plus, going to uni does not guarantee a relationship. However, you might be lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It also depends on the individual

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Never been in a relationship before. I am hoping to find someone in Uni, but I have read this is a bad idea but not sure why? I was also wondering if it is difficult to find someone at Uni as I am looking for a long term relationship ideally, not a short term fling?

Thanks
    I would say don't go to uni with the hope you'll find someone, because if you do that chances are you wont find anyone as you'll be putting pressure on yourself to find a girl. Just go in with the aim to have fun and meet new friends then whatever happens happens. For some people it is difficult to find a long term relationship at uni and for others it's easy so it all depends really
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Thanks
    Having a relationship at uni is not at all a bad idea (not sure where that has come from?), but there are some pieces of advice which I can give from my flatmates and friends who have all just finished year 1 and have had experiences.

1) dont go out in freshers purposely looking for love, so many people get together in the first month of uni and that is great, but dont make it your purpose, make sure you enjoy your experience, make friends etc.
    2) dont forget about your friends when you enter a relationship, yes its great to have someone there for you but you also need your friends and keeping a strong bond with your mates is important.
    3) DO NOT move in with your significant other a couple of months after you have gotten into the relationship. Everyone who I have witnessed do this has noted so many issues it causes and often it doesnt last.
    4) ensure you make time for studying, so many people in my year would blow off studying just to go out on dates or spend the night in with their partner... it cost them during exam season.

As for long term relationships, a lot of uni students are not up for that, so make sure you make the person you are seeing aware of your choices so your both going into it for the right reasons.

I feel relationships are a normal part of life, and where and when they arise shouldnt be an issue. I am currently in a LDR during term time (were 4.5 hours apart on the train and both studying courses with high contact hours) and personally I am very happy.

Best of luck with uni.

ReputationRep:
    I have a new blog post about relationships that might be applicable to people in this thread. Hopefully it should help someone out!

The link is here:
    https://philachange.wordpress.com/blog/

(Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Having a relationship at uni is not at all a bad idea (not sure where that has come from?), but there are some pieces of advice which I can give from my flatmates and friends who have all just finished year 1 and have had experiences.

1) dont go out in freshers purposely looking for love, so many people get together in the first month of uni and that is great, but dont make it your purpose, make sure you enjoy your experience, make friends etc.
    2) dont forget about your friends when you enter a relationship, yes its great to have someone there for you but you also need your friends and keeping a strong bond with your mates is important.
    3) DO NOT move in with your significant other a couple of months after you have gotten into the relationship. Everyone who I have witnessed do this has noted so many issues it causes and often it doesnt last.
    4) ensure you make time for studying, so many people in my year would blow off studying just to go out on dates or spend the night in with their partner... it cost them during exam season.

As for long term relationships, a lot of uni students are not up for that, so make sure you make the person you are seeing aware of your choices so your both going into it for the right reasons.

I feel relationships are a normal part of life, and where and when they arise shouldnt be an issue. I am currently in a LDR during term time (were 4.5 hours apart on the train and both studying courses with high contact hours) and personally I am very happy.

Best of luck with uni.
    Some great advice there Natalie!

Thanks so much and all the best

ReputationRep:
    My old form tutor met her husband at uni and they were together 9 years before they got married. I know loads of couples who met through uni and are still going.

I would love to have a relationship during university but I don't think I'll look so hard during Freshers Week because majority of the guys just look for makeout sessions
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    My old form tutor met her husband at uni and they were together 9 years before they got married. I know loads of couples who met through uni and are still going.

I would love to have a relationship during university but I don't think I'll look so hard during Freshers Week because majority of the guys just look for makeout sessions
    I think good advice when looking for a partner is just...don't look for a partner. Just get out doing things, meeting people, making friends. Eventually, you'll meet someone you really like, and that's when you start pushing things further. Every girlfriend I've ever had I met incidentally while doing something else (playing at a video game tournament; going to the gym; going to a karaoke bar with new friends). If you go out particularly looking for that, I think you always come off a bit cringe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.