Turn on thread page Beta

Parents, older boyfriend, further problems watch

ReputationRep:
    lol thx for the neg rep im just sayin what everyone else is thinking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wear_a_condom)
    I didn't neg rep you, I'll admit I considered it, but I didn't think it was worth it.

Plus I'd have left my name if I'd done it.

ReputationRep:
    To your parents, you are still their little girl. They're only trying to protect you, and I don't think I'd be at all impressed if I were them either.

ReputationRep:
    I negged you honey. Because...well, you're just a bit narrow-minded aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    Also using text-speak

Thank you laces x o

Not everyone, no. I'm 18 years old and my boyfriend is 30. I trust him fully and our relationship is not a joke. We've been dating for a year.

OP- I wouldn't move to your uni house, as you said it could put a strain on the relationship. I'd try to talk to them about it & find out what their concerns are.

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively you could pretend everything's normal and wait for them to either get over it or explode, at which point you could take the moral high ground, because you haven't kept anything from them but they are obviously keeping things from you and if they had a problem hey should have said something.

Not to mention the fact that they have no right to have a problem, you've done nothing wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the positive replies people
    Yea, things seem a bit better now, there is no mention of him, but that means no *****ing either, and my dad has seen him over the last few days without complaining so that's nice.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else kinda feel for the parents?

They have to deal with that he's 33, going out with their 18 year old daughter who is having a sexual relationship with. I mean thats going to be hard, of course there gonna be upset, who wouldn't be?
    There is no GOOD way of going about this to them, from this point forward they can try and get used to it, but at the end of the day the way there going to see it is that there little girl is going out with someone old enough to start having his own kids and family.

ReputationRep:
    your 18 he 33. im sry but he sounds a bit pervy to me. what would a 33 year old guy want with a 18 year old? if i were your parents id be going crazy! i mean its..erm..kinda just wrong.

i bet hes going to the pub with his mates and having a right laugh about you. boasting about having sex with an 18 year old. you think he takes u seriously? im sry this aint nice to read but its summit u need to know. hey maybe im so wrong. but i doubt it.
    what a ridiculous statement to make.
    My partner is 12 years older than me. When we started seeing each other I was 19 and he was 32.
    We have lots in common, and he would never have dreamed of boasting about sleeping with a 19 year old, as our relationship was based on more than that.
    We now live together and have 2 children.

Believe it or not, people can actually be mature enough at 18 or 19 to have a relationship with someone older. Your attitude shows you probably aren't one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishman)

They have to deal with that he's 33, going out with their 18 year old daughter who is having a sexual relationship with. I mean thats going to be hard, of course there gonna be upset, who wouldn't be?
    There is no GOOD way of going about this to them, from this point forward they can try and get used to it, but at the end of the day the way there going to see it is that there little girl is going out with someone old enough to start having his own kids and family.
    exactly.

ReputationRep:
    I mean what exactly if he comes round are your parents and him going to talk about? I can see it going along the lines of refering back the good ole days about how fuel was cheaper, and how taxes were lower. Your good ole days revolve around how you used to be able to smoke in pubs compared to his.

ReputationRep:

Agree 100%.

I mean I'm sure some relationships do work with a large age difference, but hell you can't expect parents to be happy about it, I damn sure wouldn't be.

ReputationRep:
    but at the end of the day the way there going to see it is that there little girl is going out with someone old enough to start having his own kids and family.
    I've had friends with much older boyfriends and they don't often work out because he at some point realises that he's looking to settle down (unless he doesn't want to do that at all, in which case it lasts a while until she realises she'll want that eventually, if she does) at which point he'll stop and figure out whether it's going anywhere or not. Even if he thinks it is, the younger girl will often think it's too early for that for her.
    Minefield of clashes in timelines and motivations, but hey, do what you like until you see fit to do otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    I've had friends with much older boyfriends and they don't often work out because he at some point realises that he's looking to settle down (unless he doesn't want to do that at all, in which case it lasts a while until she realises she'll want that eventually, if she does) at which point he'll stop and figure out whether it's going anywhere or not. Even if he thinks it is, the younger girl will often think it's too early for that for her.
    Minefield of clashes in timelines and motivations, but hey, do what you like until you see fit to do otherwise.
    Exactly, I mean if for example she wanted to have kids about the age of 25, then he would be what? 40? He would be pushing a pension by the time the kid reached the age she is now.

ReputationRep:
    (So what, lots of people have kids in their late 30s/40 you know... certainly men do (more difficult for women, biologically).)

ReputationRep:
    when my son is my age, i will be 43 and partner will be 55. Don't see it as a problem really.

ReputationRep:
    I just see it could be possibly bad for the child, when reaching about 20, the parents could be the age of most grandparents, and for the adults (with the continual lowering of the average live expectancy in this country) not being able to see their grandchildren.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I just see it could be possibly bad for the child, when reaching about 20, the parents could be the age of most grandparents, and for the adults (with the continual lowering of the average live expectancy in this country) not being able to see their grandchildren.
    You think most grandparents are 58? :rofl:

It's not really very rare to have a baby at 40, especially if you're a man. What planet are you from?

ReputationRep:
    I was making reference to having a baby at that age, with the younger partner having a significant age gap. And in answer to your seccond question, after reading some of the replies in this thread (including my own), I am beginning to wonder myself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.