Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Austria is "Capital of Radical Racism" - Turkey watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon_g)
    you have to find it a bit funny when country, whose biggest gift to humanity was Adolf Hitler, tries to dictate other countries how they should deal with people who tried to make a Putsch.
    Personally, I believe it would be better for Turkey if they would shift their interest from the EU to other their neighbors.
    So... Germany = Nazis? What a sophisticated argument you've got right there. I think it's evident from (West) Germany's post WWII leanings that it's all too keen to apologise for and prevent the mistakes of the past. On the other hand, we have Erdgogan trying to rebuild some Ottoman barracks in Istanbul and his wife's revisionism trying to justify the treatment of concubines in the Sultan's harems. Maybe he should take a leaf out of Germany's book and start accepting the mistakes of the past, particularly when he views the Ottoman Empire as some glorious entity whose "history" is worth revelling in.

So, on the other hand, we have the Turks. With your logic, what have the Turks contributed to mankind? Repression? Slavery? Pillage and rape? The denial of Enlightenment values in the 1700s and the subsequent disparities between lands that fell under the Ottoman Empire and the rest of Europe? A brutally corrupt and useless bureaucracy that would make a Mandarin feel proud? I think that it's obvious that stereotyping gets us nowhere.

Since Turkey has been intermittently been trying to accede to the EU for the best part of 3 decades now, I think that its own government disagrees with your proposed re-alignment in interest. After all, why should it, at this point in time? There's nothing for Turkey in Russia, Georgia or Armenia - their cultural differences put a limit on the willingness to integrate to, say, single market level. The Kurds? Better repress them and pretend that nothing's going on. Syria? Iraq? Try not letting ISIS oil tankers through and actually bombing the caliphate instead of the PKK. Iran? Good luck negotiating a Sunni-Shi'te alliance. Israel? Make sure that you stop sending aid to the Palestinians.

I think that my point is clear. Turkey's in a limbo between a hostile and chaotic Syria/Iraq, and a West that is increasingly critical of Erdgogan's authoritarian leanings.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if someone calls me a racist, it's meaningless now

They've been using is with great effect to stop White populations resisting destruction

They're hypocrites above all, because if they were put into the same position as us they sure as hell wouldn't want to be taken over, their populations replaced by non-Turkish people

Self proclaimed anti-racists please understand what racism really is..

ReputationRep:
    you have to find it a bit funny when country, whose biggest gift to humanity was Adolf Hitler, tries to dictate other countries how they should deal with people who tried to make a Putsch.
    Personally, I believe it would be better for Turkey if they would shift their interest from the EU to other their neighbors.
    I prefer to think that Austria's biggest gift to humanity was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart actually.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Erdogan.

But wasnt he voted into power by democratic vote?

(Original post by JohnGreek)
    Oh, the irony of a nationalist dictatorship calling one of Europe's most progressive countries "racist". This kind of silly name-calling is a staple of the insecure, authoritarian regimes that littered the M.E. and seemed to care about the great ruler's pride above all else.

The only thing that consoles me somehow is that the Erdgog is managing to ruin relations both with the EU and the US. Seeing that people who America doesn't like end up being hung or found dead in a ditch full of bullet holes, I remain optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I prefer to think that Austria's biggest gift to humanity was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart actually.
    Austrians are great convincing world that Hitler was German and Mozart was Austrian.

ReputationRep:
    Austrians are great convincing world that Hitler was German and Mozart was Austrian.
    They were both Austrian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    They were both Austrian.
    apart from fact that when the Mozart was born there was no Austria (yet)."(..)Mozart was born in Salzburg,the capital of a small, essentially sovereign state called the Archbishopric of Salzburg. Thus in one sense Mozart's nationality could be said to be "Salzburgian", though English-language biographers do not generally use this term to designate his nationality.(..)"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart%27s_nationalitythe concept of "nation state" is quite modern one, especially in central/east european countries.

ReputationRep:
    apart from fact that when the Mozart was born there was no Austria (yet)."(..)Mozart was born in Salzburg,the capital of a small, essentially sovereign state called the Archbishopric of Salzburg. Thus in one sense Mozart's nationality could be said to be "Salzburgian", though English-language biographers do not generally use this term to designate his nationality.(..)"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart%27s_nationalitythe concept of "nation state" is quite modern one, especially in central/east european countries.
    Yes I know. There is a lovely book I have, The Letters of Mozart and His Family. Throughout it, him and his father often refer to their pride in being German. Always seems a bit weird to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    But wasnt he voted into power by democratic vote?
    He was - but what has made clear that his presidency is on an authoritarian trajectory is his various attempts to restrict the media (shutting down pro-opposition news outlets, pressing frivolous charges against journalists), and the way in which he is trying to concentrate more executive powers in the presidency, which prior to 2014 had a more ceremonial (and largely observational) role.

That, of course, is nothing compared to what he's done post coup, with the mass arrests of soldiers, expulsions of tens of thousands of academics and civil servants, and the attempt to make himself commander of the army, hence undermining Ataturk's legacy and the system of checks-and-balances that he envisaged.

I wouldn't say that greater authoritarianism is mutually exclusive with parliamentary elections.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree, well said sir

ReputationRep:
    "See How barbaric and racist Austrians are"
    *Chops soldiers head off*

ReputationRep:
    here Erdogan Effendi please honour me with a visit to my cellar

ReputationRep:
    you have to find it a bit funny when country, whose biggest gift to humanity was Adolf Hitler, tries to dictate other countries how they should deal with people who tried to make a Putsch. *
    Oh come on now, that ridiculous. Austria have done a complete 180 ever since Hitler (who, by the way, disdained Austria compared to Germany as he felt they were limp-wristed) and have been completely non-racist and very tolerant of others.

Compare this to Turkey currently, who not only feel that they did nothing at all wrong in hundreds of years of invasions, genocide, mass-rape, slavery and forced conversions, but glorify it!*

So don't*try to compare them - it's embarrassingly disingenuous and misleading *

ReputationRep:
    I'm Austrian and you guys don't know what you're talking about. Austria is not that racist there are a few racists against Turks but not as much as Germany. Austria is still a beautiful Country even with the Refugees they haven't done much anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.