The Student Room Group

Why is TSR celebrating gay pride?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RobML
So campaigns against modern slavery are politically unnecessary? No, the legality is irrelevant.

No, that's completely different. Given slavery still occurs making an effort to stop it is obviously necessary, but:

a) Stopping it is specifically the job of the law/legal system, not political parties
b) it is not necessary to have a political stance that slavery is bad, when the law says its illegal.

Original post by RobML

Anyway, TSR isn't a news outlet so why does it matter?

TSR is a pretty significant intellectual resource, if not the most important resource, for the many of the young minds in this country.

Not sure about you, but to me that matters.
probably finding a way to fill unused advertising spaces until the result day clearing frenzy kicks in :colonhash:
Reply 22
Original post by jape
I agree with this dude. Realistically, the mods aren't the Stazi. And they're not politically neutral but they've never claimed to be so why should anyone expect it? As long as they enforce the rules fairly.

Take a more nuanced example.

I make a thread about how the Israeli government is evil and how Palestine are the real victims and all the crimes they'd committed against the Palestinian people. I base my entire post on facts & link to sources.

Some Zionist on here gets triggered emotionally, reports my post, and it gets deleted or heavily edited due to it being classified as "inflammatory hate speech".

Situations like that often happen on this website, because the mods will often castrate you if have opinions that remotely deviate from "la di da political correctness, and acceptance of everyone and everything"

But if you're not allowed to not like something, how is that acceptance of everyone and everything?
Original post by Virgil.
Its not a celebration of equality though, that's my point.

Because if I make a thread on here saying:

"hmm actually yknow I dont think gay people are that great, here are the reasons 1)...2)....3)"

Something like that is going to be automatically shut down. How is that equality?

You must be some kind of troll :h:

You cannot generalise a whole group of people based on who they decide to be involved with romantically. So your "reasons" would not be against the gay people themselves but the fact that they decide to love who they want to love which is something you are able to do freely so why would you take away someone else's right to do the same?

You disagreeing with that is taking away someone's freedom and therefore is not equality.
Reply 24
Original post by bluemadhatter
You must be some kind of troll :h:

You have almost 2,000 posts on here. I would really expect more from you than resorting to intellectual cowardliness of using the age old cop-out tactic of calling me a troll because you know you dont have a solid counter argument.

Original post by bluemadhatter

You cannot generalise a whole group of people based on who they decide to be involved with romantically. So your "reasons" would not be against the gay people themselves but the fact that they decide to love who they want to love which is something you are able to do freely so why would you take away someone else's right to do the same?

I am not anti gay. In fact, I myself am pro gay, but I am saying I do not think TSR should be taking political stances.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Virgil.
No, that's completely different. Given slavery still occurs making an effort to stop it is obviously necessary, but:

a) Stopping it is specifically the job of the law/legal system, not political parties
b) it is not necessary to have a political stance that slavery is bad, when the law says its illegal.

TSR is a pretty significant intellectual resource, if not the most important resource, for the many of the young minds in this country.

Well plenty of people have a poltical stance against something the law has already taken care of, like anti-drug campaigners for example. Go tell them they're wasting their time.

How do you reconcile your love of free speech with your love of political-neutrality?
Reply 26
Original post by Virgil.
Take a more nuanced example.

I make a thread about how the Israeli government is evil and how Palestine are the real victims and all the crimes they'd committed against the Palestinian people. I base my entire post on facts & link to sources.

Some Zionist on here gets triggered emotionally, reports my post, and it gets deleted or heavily edited due to it being classified as "inflammatory hate speech".

Situations like that often happen on this website, because the mods will often castrate you if have opinions that remotely deviate from "la di da political correctness, and acceptance of everyone and everything"

But if you're not allowed to not like something, how is that acceptance of everyone and everything?

Ha. Far more likely that the Zionist would be taking the brunt of the bs, as they generally do with youngsters. But --

The point is I basically agree with you. I have my own reservations regarding the unqualified support of LGBT Pride. But until there's a concrete reason to believe that the mods while start pushing our posts down memory holes, I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Reply 27
Original post by RobML
So campaigns against modern slavery are politically unnecessary? No, the legality is irrelevant.

Anyway, TSR isn't a news outlet so why does it matter?

Also, using your logic:

If it's ok to fly a gay pride banner at the top of the website, then surely we can also fly a Union Jack with the slogan "Britain for British People"?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Virgil.

Plenty of people have a political stance on issues that have already been taken care of by the law of the land- anti-drug campaigners for example. Go tell them they're wasting their time.

How do you reconcile your love of free speech with your love of political neutrality?
Reply 29
Original post by Virgil.
Also, using your logic:

If it's ok to fly a gay pride banner at the top of the website, why would it not be ok to fly a Union Jack with the slogan "Britain for British People"?

It's not the fact that an opinion is shown that's the issue, it's the nature of the opinion
Original post by Virgil.
Its not a celebration of equality though, that's my point.

Because if I make a thread on here saying:

"hmm actually yknow I dont think gay people are that great, here are the reasons 1)...2)....3)"

Something like that is going to be automatically shut down. How is that equality?

How would it be equality to create a post hating on a group of people for no reason?

Original post by Virgil.
Its not hate speech. It is possible to be against something based on very real facts about that thing.

What reason is there to be against LGBT rights? (Other than what some fictional being said thousands of years ago.)
Original post by SMEGGGY
I agree

Being Bisexual TSR should be unbiased, yes support it but any negative but constructive critisms will be erased or disallowed (I hope they prove me wrong)

I am also LGBT or whatever they are calling it these days and I agree.
Reply 32
Original post by RobML
It's not the fact that an opinion is shown that's the issue, it's the nature of the opinion

I am saying lets say I am the owner of TSR, and I stick a gay pride banner at the top of the site and nobody has a problem with it. But if I was to make it a Union Jack saying "Britain for British People", there would definitely be complaints from the users on here.

But being pro gay rights is as much a divisive political statement as being anti-foreign is. There are a great number who will agree & disagree on the point, for both issues. So why is one ok, but not the other?

Moreover, if I make a thread saying "yeah gay pride FTW <3 <3 <3" it will be fine, yet if I make a thread saying "We need to reduce the influence of foreigners in the UK" it will likely end up being heavily policed / edited by the mods.
(edited 7 years ago)
Celebrating LGBT rights now is the same as celebrating women's suffrage in the early twentieth century or African-American Civil Rights in the 1960s. It might be 'political' now but it is/will be another dimension of Western democracy and values and will not be disputed in the future.
Reply 34
Original post by Virgil.
I am saying lets say I am the owner of TSR, and I stick a gay pride banner at the top of the site and nobody has a problem with it. But if I was to make it a Union Jack saying "Britain for British People", there would definitely be complaints from the users on here.

But being pro gay rights is as much a divisive political statement as being anti-foreign is. There are a great number who will agree & disagree on the point, for both issues.

But if I make a threading saying "yeah gay pride FTW <3 <3 <3" it will be fine, yet if I make a thread saying "We need to reduce the influence of foreigners in the UK" it will likely end up being heavily policed / edited by the mods.

Yes, because those users heavily disagree with that particular stance, not that they're against stances being taken in general.

And your last point seems to be more about censorship so I'm not seeing the relevance
Original post by Virgil.

But being pro gay rights is as much a divisive political statement as being anti-foreign is. There are a great number who will agree & disagree on the point, for both issues.

But if I make a threading saying "yeah gay pride FTW <3 <3 <3" it will be fine, yet if I make a thread saying "We need to reduce the influence of foreigners in the UK" it will likely end up being heavily policed / edited by the mods.

Maybe because it's racist/xenophobic/whatever? At least a pride flag is a positive symbol.
Reply 36
Original post by BasicMistake
Celebrating LGBT rights now is the same as celebrating women's suffrage in the early twentieth century or African-American Civil Rights in the 1960s. It might be 'political' now but it is/will be another dimension of Western democracy and values and will not be disputed in the future.

20, 30 years ago maybe. The civil rights battle for gays is over and has been for decades. Maybe our generation just doesn't have a major feel-good struggle. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Reply 37
Original post by miless090
Maybe because it's racist/xenophobic/whatever? At least a pride flag is a positive symbol.

lol, that's exactly my point mate.

A gay pride flag is not a positive symbol to a lot of people, e.g. pretty much everyone that's Christian.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by miless090

Positivity is subjective. And there's nothing racist about that hypothetical banner.
Original post by Virgil.
lol, that's exactly my point mate.

A gay pride flag is not a positive symbol to a lot of people, e.g. everyone that's Christian.

How is it not positive? Giving equal rights to people.

Quick Reply

Latest