Turn on thread page Beta

The Official Console War Thread! watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Best new generation console?
    Wii
    16.98%
    PS3
    35.85%
    47.17%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakapaka)
    "yawns", quit a lot of BS their epically about PS3 not being user friendly. I cant be bothed to even attempt to reply properly at this time to that crap, so you are going to have to wait a few hours.
    That, ladies and gentlemen, is code for 'Bugger, that's a really good set of points. I honestly can't think of anything else to say...and I certainly don't want to concede anthing to him...'. :own3d: :rolleyes:

And the PS2 'winning' the last generation is bull****, huh? Fair enough... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    all this talk about the PS3s superior future game line up, and yet everywhere i look all i see is....

" yet another PS3 Exclusive moves to 360"

i mean theres now konami saying unless the sales of the PS3 seriously pick up they dont believe MGS4 will be a viable product for just the PS3 and they may be forced to the 360 as well to cover costs, and then we've got DMC4 ok so thats not such a big deal but still an old sony mainstay. Then theres beutiful Katamari (ok fine not the biggest deal ever but still) recently was said to be going multiplatform and the PS3 versions been canceled.... http://www.xboxic.com/news/3198
    then theres things like UT3 and assasins creed, sony pushed them up as PS3 only and bang 360 as well suddenly sneeks in.

yet when i look at the 360 the only games that have gone multi format are ones that were always multi format and i expected would be multiformat. I mean in comparison which MAJOR 360 games have you seen a press release for going "you'll be able to now get this on the PS3 as well!"
    and im not counting oblivion before i get an earful, i have my reasons, hard to explain them though, i just wrote them all out and read it back, it made no sense so i scrubbed it. But even if you DO include Oblivion, thats 1 game going 360 -> PS3 over the multitude going the other way

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't have a favourite. But all things well, Sony should make a comeback, providing they don't dig there grave any deeper. Sure, it maybe an expensive console, and may not have a good line up of games...which is a real hit for the PS3. But time heals all wounds. Whoever wants a 360 has probably got one by now, but those who are just waiting for a price drop for the PS3, will pounce when it comes.

Then again, I admire Microsoft for the effort in fixing the 'ring of fire' problem. Having extended the warantee on all consoles to three years, it just shows how commited they are. However, I think by making this move, Micorosoft are biting of more than they can chew. Recent reports suggest that consoles are being shipped abroad from the UK to be fixed due to too many going faulty. Here's hoping the new cooling system works a tad better, I'm hoping to get an Elite for my bedroom, replacing the faulty core model.

As for Nintendo. It's a gimmick, although my brother likes it, to me it's just something you play once and never play again.

ReputationRep:
    This is all as stupid as the gamecube-ps2-xbox arguements - all of them are different, all have different games and features... you can't really compare them.

It's like trying to compare.... a bugatti veyron, a land rover discovery and a smartcar... they're all different, and sure, the veyron might be faster, but it's not small enough to park in a shoebox, and it wouldn't last 2 seconds in the wilderness.... they're all cars but each has its advantages/disdvantages.

Now, my analysis - imo, the XB360 is currently the best buy. It has better games than the ps3, and is more established. The PS3 might be more powerful, but it burrently just does NOT have the games to back it up. When more games are released (new FF, GTA, GT, tekken, etc), then i think it will probably become a better buy than the xb360, but that remains to be seen. The wii is practically a different catagory, but anyway. The controls are really unique, and thats its selling point. No matter what anybody says, it's simply not as powerful as the 360/ps3, and that might begin to show in a few years' time, when games are more developed. However, my personal opinion is that the whole 'wow new controls' thing will begin to die down, and the wii will become less popular. Though of course, many people will stay loyal, and zelda/mario/etc will help keep it afloat.

In the long run, I think the ps3 will overtake the 360 as te console of choice, as the price will slowly drop, and the machine's power will become more realised. Currently, though, it's far, far too expensive for what it is (unless you're after a blu-ray player), and the games suck, frankly, compared to what te 360 has to offer at the moment.

Summary - none of the consoles 'suck' or are '*****'. They are just different. Each has good/bad games (except the ps3 which doesnt really have any games), and each has its own selling points. Why can't people just accept this?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    wii is for kids, and it looks lame, with lame control things.

Playstation 3 is just too expsensive for my liking, and a wee big boring.

I love my 360, but it isn't perfect, so i vote 360.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Andrew.)
    wii is for kids, and it looks lame, with lame control things.

Playstation 3 is just too expsensive for my liking, and a wee big boring.

I love my 360, but it isn't perfect, so i vote 360.

;yes;;yes;;yes;

ReputationRep:
    360's are outselling PS3's, but to whatt cost to MS? Both financially and from a business point of view? It's not just a little clique of people that's saying the machine is badly designed, it's journalists from both the games industry and the national press the world over, High Street stockists and even consumer groups and TV programs are getting in on the act now, not to mention the companies that are now refusing to repair them. If the PS3 was selling for the same price as the 360 or the Wii, it would be having a much greater take up rate.

There are two things that drive the consumer these days, one is pricing and the other is piracy. The machine that is the easiest to exploit/pirate is nearly always the market leader. It doesn't matter how good or bad the machine or the games are, if he can get the unit modded cheaply enough and get his games for a fiver, the average Joe doesn't give a **** how good the games or the machine is. It's called market forces.

ReputationRep:
    So basically, you're admitting that the Xbox 360 will win this generation of the console war.

And also, isn't it fortunate that the machine that is cheapest, easiest to crack and therefore the best seller, just so happens to have the best games library too!

ReputationRep:
    360's are outselling PS3's
    Yes, they are.
    Because the 360 has been out a year longer. Duh.
    I don't the see the point in argueing now... over time....
    Watch the ps3 catch up and take over. it's inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's inevitable that PS3 will overtake the 360

However, it's almost certain that 360 sales will significantly slow down whilst PS3 sales accelerate, leading to a more even console war this generation

ReputationRep:
    The ps3 won't take over.. Not now anyway.. I think anyway.

If they do in the next 2 years, i will eat 2 pairs of my converse.

ReputationRep:
    The 360 sales will increase now, after MS have offered the 3 year warranty thing..

ReputationRep:
    PS3 will come out on top i think, people are just waiting for the price to drop. One of the reasons eveybody went for a PS2 was becuase of DVD BlueRay will do the same for PS3 in time.

ReputationRep:
    Well, logically I believe the ps3 will takeover in sales.
    It's only a matter of time, and how Sony plays it out.

I just think, they need a new ad campaign, one which
    doesn't suck, and they need to speed up the first party titles.
    That and they need to add a bit more cockiness to their game.
    That'll really get the sales up, in my opinion. When they shown the
    Killzone 2 trailer, I wish Tretton would have said "We'd just like to say,
    the Halo killer is coming 2008... Halo 3 won't even touch the quality."
    Something to create a bit more heat, after that "riiiidddggeee racceer"
    thing, I think they need to get their reputation up again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loadmalz)
    Well, logically I believe the ps3 will takeover in sales.
    It's only a matter of time, and how Sony plays it out.

I just think, they need a new ad campaign, one which
    doesn't suck, and they need to speed up the first party titles.
    That and they need to add a bit more cockiness to their game.
    That'll really get the sales up, in my opinion. When they shown the
    Killzone 2 trailer, I wish Tretton would have said "We'd just like to say,
    the Halo killer is coming 2008... Halo 3 won't even touch the quality."
    Something to create a bit more heat, after that "riiiidddggeee racceer"
    thing, I think they need to get their reputation up again.

Sony doesn't seem to care about ADs in the UK lol...there are excellent ads on YouTube i think they would really appeal to people.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, one key moment for me was a while back... I was in computing, where we do many Microsoft arguements, etc.
    We were discussing things, and my mate said "yeah but, who knows what games are ou on the ps? theyve had no ads!"
    and i was like "erm, surely they have?" and it occured to me, I couldn't believe it... my parents barely knew when the
    bloody release date was. I mean, the wii is another story, it's pathetic to think, a company that's spent BILLIONS
    on research can't advertise their product! then you compare it to a hollywood film's publicity...
    Sony should hire the guy who does Michael Bay's advertisements... he'd do the bloody job!!

ReputationRep:
    I like PC, Xbox360 and PS3 to the op you could have made this a multiple choice poll. I don't like the Wii. So I guess I vote for Windows gaming go XB360! I like the new revamped looking Xbox360, it's called Xbox360 Elite it's black.

ReputationRep:
    I think the 360 will win out in the near future but microsoft will need to make a new system in 3 or so years when the graphics need to be improved. That is when the PS3 will come into its own.

ReputationRep:
    I heard today that the Wii was closing in on the 360...360 has thus far sold just over 10m units, Wii 9m, and PS3 3.6m or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ps3focus.nl/v3/bekijk.php?id=6058

Gamercards coming to PS3. haha
    =]
    *So happy*

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.