Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fnt1klo)
    How do you find Wjec English literature?Have you seen the new spec and what are your thoughts?For me,probably the worst subject in GCSE.
    (Original post by *Alisha*)
    To be honest, I think I'm doing fine. For my year 10 mock I got a grade 5 which is fine by me because I don't want to take it for A levels but memorising quotes from 18 poems is so frustrating and I really didn't pay attention when studying Jane Eyre.
    What grade are you for English Language? Are you going into year 11?
    Yeah the new english lit is really hard and stupid. I don't see how its fair that we could get any poem out of 18 others which they expect us to remember quotes. On top of that you could get any question, in which you would have to remember quotes.
    The closed book exam is just ridiculous, it doesn't help to differentiate the better students by making it a memory test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    YES GURL WE CAN BE STUDY BUDDIES FOR MATHS AND GET A*'S ALL AROUND AYYYY

Do I qualify if I have finished my Maths and Further Maths A-Levels this year?
    How hard is further maths compared to just maths. Do you just have to be good at problem solving or your mathematical reasoning?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hashtosh302)
    How hard is further maths compared to just maths. Do you just have to be good at problem solving or your mathematical reasoning?
    You require both of those things. Further Maths is considerably more complicated compared to normal maths. In Further Maths you tackle more much harder problems and need to have a crystal clear understanding of everything in normal maths in order to progress those ideas into further maths and succeed, it's why many people who take FM also take normal maths. But the challenge of FM is what makes the A-Level a whole lot more interesting because normal maths is just too basic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Alisha*)
    I could help you ?
    Possibly,Yes.How are you revising for English Lit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fnt1klo)
    Possibly,Yes.How are you revising for English Lit?
    First I make flashcards for topics like an Inspector Calls because you have to memorise quotes for each character and theme. Then for testing myself I write essays on each of the characters and give them to your teacher to mark I forgot to tell you one thing, if you quote down stage directions you're basically quoting form that's what our teacher told us so I did and I got a 6 for the An Inspector Calls section.

For Poetry, 18 poems can be difficult to revise as I didn't get to revise all the poems before the exam but I still managed a 5. Our school gives us grids for poetry. You can make your own grid by adding the headings: Context, Theme , Imagery and Structure and form. Then write down the information you need for each poem in these columns and thoroughly revise them and take your time. Flashcards again would be great idea if you wanted to revise some quotes.

Moving onto Jane Eyre, you should try the questions at the end of the book as they will really help you. Also revise the characters and themes and their relationship with other characters. You might want to do a brainstorm of words to describe each character or evem try to add quotes. Sadly because I didn't get to revise this, I only managed to get a 4. So that ruined my chance for a higher grade.

We haven't studied Romeo and Juliet but I guess I would revise the same way as I did for An Inspector Calls because they're both plays. Anyways, hope this helped and If you want me to revise with you just PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashtosh302)
    Yeah the new english lit is really hard and stupid. I don't see how its fair that we could get any poem out of 18 others which they expect us to remember quotes. On top of that you could get any question, in which you would have to remember quotes.
    The closed book exam is just ridiculous, it doesn't help to differentiate the better students by making it a memory test
    I know, revising 18 poems is so annoying. For the mock I only managed to revise like 4 or 5.

ReputationRep:
    Those seem like good marks. For English language I think I could have done better. In the reading paper I done so bad and I got a 4. I can't remember my mark but It was like 24/40 or something. In the writing section I done really well even when I thought my story was so stupid at the end ( but I had to rush so) but I managed to pull a 6 for that section. But, overall I got a 5 because of the reading.
    For English literature. I thought the exam mark was going to be a disaster! because all I ended up revising in the Easter holidays was An Inspector Calls and didn't manage to revise all the 18 poems which I was the most stressed out for. I didn't get to revise the novel we studied. But I still ended up with a 5 so it wasnt that bad. But for the real exam I'm aiming for a 6 or 7.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.