Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who learns languages in their spare time? Watch

• View Poll Results: What language do you learn as a hobby?
    French
    19.91%
    Spanish/Portugese/Italian
    26.77%
    German
    19.68%
    Chinese/Japanese
    22.20%
    Russian/Slavic
    8.01%
    Celtic language
    3.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Does Haskell count?
    Give me Lisp or give me death

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    I’m doing french in school atm, starting spanish as well as french gcse next year, but I also learn Welsh in my spare time, and did do Japanese although I’ve forgotten most of it :P. What languages do you guys learn?
    Where is italian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    I've tried French in the past, been learning Chinese for the past few weeks!!
    你好!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Where is italian
    what

ReputationRep:
    Teaching myself latin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    I'm learning Korean too! largely because of my kpop obsession but it is a beautiful language
    I am also learning it mostly because of my kpop obsession! You can probably tell who my favourite group is... xD It is such a beautiful language! And once you get past learning the alphabet it's not as daunting as you first thought xD I watched Descendants of the Sun recently and that really inspired me to focus more on learning it ^_^ Which groups do you like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paraphilos)
    你好!
    你好!!

I'll admit, I've been studying the spoken side of things rather than the characters, however I did recognise the second character meant well/good!
    Slowly I'll move from reading the pinyin to the characters

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying German, French and Portuguese :-D But, I don't recommend learning more than one (eventually two) languages at the same time. :3 I am a total language freak 😁 I'm using duolingo, what about you guys? :-D Die Deutsche sprache ist süß! 😁😁😍

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    CS:GO teaches me Russian

*also my papa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SabakuKyuu)
    I'm studying German, French and Portuguese :-D But, I don't recommend learning more than one (eventually two) languages at the same time. :3 I am a total language freak 😁 I'm using duolingo, what about you guys? :-D Die Deutsche sprache ist süß! 😁😁😍

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Duolingo seemed good when I was doing french, now I'm using Memrise which has quite a few languages, and many courses for chinese and also other odd topics such as science, helping you to remember things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EXO235)
    I am also learning it mostly because of my kpop obsession! You can probably tell who my favourite group is... xD It is such a beautiful language! And once you get past learning the alphabet it's not as daunting as you first thought xD I watched Descendants of the Sun recently and that really inspired me to focus more on learning it ^_^ Which groups do you like?
    I actually love the writing system, and pretty and it's so easy to learn DOTS is the only k-drama I've seen, and that was mainly because Onew is in it, I need to watch some others :P my bias group is SHINee but I'm also into VIXX and EXO
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Does Haskell count?
    haskell?

(Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    I'm learning Welsh

In addition to A-level French, also done GCSE Spanish and hoping to continue it alongside French at uni

I love learning languages and want to learn so many more
    Dw i’n hoffi dysgu a siarad Cymraeg
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SabakuKyuu)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Duolingo seemed good when I was doing french, now I'm using Memrise which has quite a few languages, and many courses for chinese and also other odd topics such as science, helping you to remember things
    i use both

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I do study it for A-Level, pre much the only thing I've done all Summer is learn German in my spare time lmao.

I would like to learn another at the same time but i've tried before and it's very difficult. Perhaps when my German is of a better level I shall :')

ReputationRep:
    i use both
    I think both have their benefits id use duolingo if it had chinese
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by LDS16)
    I think both have their benefits id use duolingo if it had chinese
    true - memrise is good for vocab and cramming but duolingo is better for kinda getting the hang of it if ygm
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    French, Spanish, Dutch, Korean and various bits of others

<modStuff>Please provide translation for all foreign language, thank you!</modStuff>
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I do a little bit of French, and a little bit of Python - though Python I really need to restart as everything i knew has pretty much faded!

ReputationRep:
    true - memrise is good for vocab and cramming but duolingo is better for kinda getting the hang of it if ygm
    I know what you mean. Unfortunately memrise doesn't seem to talk about grammar for Chinese (in the two courses I've done) and it teaches you in the phonetic, rather than the characters.. would be nice to have more detail (but probably a lot harder)

ReputationRep:
    Do programming languages count?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.