Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

London accent - anyone else think it sounds horrendous? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upperechelon)
    Are you having a laugh?
    You are the reason I thought of this. I saw your baiting out a sket video and some others and remember what I hated about London.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm from London and speak with an RP accent. London is a mixture of many different accents and so your thread makes little sense.

ReputationRep:
    I think London accents sounds really hot, anything from the MLE ghetto to Sloane Ranger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    All Savarners sound horrendous.
    ay oooop tharrre, naaarce to see we ave a nooorvern lad around on ere

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm from Lancashire and have a god awful accent (seriously, northern accents are disgusting).... I'd give anything to have a London accent it sounds so much nicer than my Lancashire accent

ReputationRep:
    I think that accent is terrible, especially when they say "be-a" for better..

ReputationRep:
    At least you can understand it.

ReputationRep:
    Well as a brummie, the amount of hate our accents get, I really can't say too much haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Like someone from say Liverpool has a strong accent, too. But that sounds more like a "normal" accent.

I'm disappointed in anyone who didn't spot this obvious bait.

The London accent is the best in the UK. Irish and Welsh accents are pretty cool too.

But Scouse accents must genuinely be the worst in the country. Sometimes it's so bad my mum needs subtitles while watching those sky sports analysts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    I'm sorry but come on guys. How can you NOT spot such obvious bait.

The London accent is the best in the UK. Irish and Welsh accents are pretty cool too.

But Scouse accents must genuinely be the worst in the country. Sometimes it's so bad my mum needs subtitles while watching those sky sports analysts.

ReputationRep:
    I secretly don't like the chav-ish London accent either, even though I can't help having one.

I really love accents like Tom Hiddleston's and Keira Knightley's and Peter Capaldi's when it comes to British accents.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are more attractive accents out there than MLE and Cockney, but Cockney is iconic.

ReputationRep:
    You are the reason I thought of this. I saw your baiting out a sket video and some others and remember what I hated about London.
    What's that got to do with accents though? If anything, the London accent is the standard in the UK; closest to the Queen's English, and the most coherent, I'm not putting down other accents, but you must be joking if you think London accents are abnormal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Punani)
    They're nice and easy to understand as long as they're not extremely thick. They don't sound like they're forcing themselves to be camp. They don't sound stuck up. They don't sound like they've chewed on marbles. And all the foreign people I know always list those among their favourite accents from the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    They're nice and easy to understand as long as they're not extremely thick. They don't sound like they're forcing themselves to be camp. They don't sound stuck up. They don't sound like they've chewed on marbles. And all the foreign people I know always list those among their favourite accents from the UK.
    I find some Welsh voices soft and soothing, but the Irish one I just don't get. I think it's an Anglo-sphere thing to circlejerk over the Irish accent since people who speak English as their first language are pretty bad when it comes to learning actual foreign languages, so the most exotic thing they're exposed to is the Irish accent.

To me, Irish accents just sound like slightly more musical ''scouse'' accents, you can hear a definite relationship between the two. I mean Jimmy Cricket is hardly a sex symbol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    I love the cockney, East-London-ish accent, but not the rest. I bloody hate that chavvy accent people in the South talk with (I am from the South).
    How do people in south london talk? I was never really aware of a difference...

ReputationRep:
    There is like 15 different accents in London

ReputationRep:
    Like someone from say Liverpool has a strong accent, too. But that sounds more like a "normal" accent.

With that London accent, I just can't help but feel that it sounds like trash. Like you are from the ghetto. Ugh. It hurts my ears.

Anyone else?
    And who said petty snobbery was dead?

ReputationRep:
    safe mate

ReputationRep:
    I have a pretty posh 'normal' accent and a few 'chav' londoners said I sounded funny.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.