Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If a persons racist beliefs don't show in their behavior is it relevant Watch

ReputationRep:
    If a person is prejudiced/has racist thoughts but doesn't act on them with either words or actions then they cannot & should not be punished.
    It's the same with paedophilia or fantasies regarding committing rape - if an individual has those desires but doesn't act on them or view indecent images then they're not breaking any laws as far as I'm aware.

The state cannot & should not be able to punish an individual for thinking, even if those thoughts aren't what the majority of people would find "normal".

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's okay but I know it happens and you can't change it. I do think the word racist is used too frequently though I mean I was called racist by my friend because I support the Tories
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    This question legit, or nah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sindyscape62)
    Interesting question- I think to some extent everyone has subconscious racist beliefs. To act in a completely non-racist way you'd have to be aware of this subconscious stuff and actively override it, and the willingness to do that would make you not racist. If you consciously have racist beliefs, genuinely believe that certain races are inferior and don't want to change your mind I don't think it could ever not impact your behaviour, even if you think it doesn't.

On Donald Trump, he's not really racist at all- he just sees that a large segment of the American population are and puts on the act so they give him power. That's what all his vagueness and changing his mind is about, there's something he's said that'll appeal to most people, as long as they're willing to ignore rest of what he says.
    A large segment of the American pop. is racist??? If you mean racism as it showed itself in the pre-60's days, sorry to shatter your image of us but that is so not the case. You could erase all the laws written to fight discrimination since the 60's and I can say with all confidence that there would not be a return of Jim Crow, segregation, etc. We've moved beyond that and then some and you folks watch us too closely to not be aware of that. A minor factor may be that you do see it but to not see the U.S. as a hardcore racist nation is to remove the most powerful weapon from the arsenal of the U.S. bashers . That's OK. I get a real kick out of reading the anti U.S. comments. You should also know that blacks and white here have legitimate differences. I've read on this site that there is no real culture differences in whites and blacks in the U.K. In the U.S. blacks and whites do not YET talk and act the same nor do we place the same values on certain things our cultures do share. I'm way off point here but if could walk around Oakland or San Francisco for 10 mins. you would see what I mean.
    Sometimes these differences clash but we no longer attribute the clashes to race. It's not raxism.

ReputationRep:
    Happy to be racist here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldercon1953)
    A large segment of the American pop. is racist??? If you mean racism as it showed itself in the pre-60's days, sorry to shatter your image of us but that is so not the case. You could erase all the laws written to fight discrimination since the 60's and I can say with all confidence that there would not be a return of Jim Crow, segregation, etc. We've moved beyond that and then some and you folks watch us too closely to not be aware of that. A minor factor may be that you do see it but to not see the U.S. as a hardcore racist nation is to remove the most powerful weapon from the arsenal of the U.S. bashers . That's OK. I get a real kick out of reading the anti U.S. comments. You should also know that blacks and white here have legitimate differences. I've read on this site that there is no real culture differences in whites and blacks in the U.K. In the U.S. blacks and whites do not YET talk and act the same nor do we place the same values on certain things our cultures do share. I'm way off point here but if could walk around Oakland or San Francisco for 10 mins. you would see what I mean.
    Sometimes these differences clash but we no longer attribute the clashes to race. It's not raxism.
    Why are you focusing about the US? My main point answering your question was much more general. Also I'm not talking 60's type racism, I'm talking about small subconscious biases which exist in most people, judgments we make about others in the first split second of seeing them. Studies show that these have an impact on most peoples actions, even if they don't believe they do. Any you can't deny Trump has racist supporters, the KKK endorses him, people at his rallies say things which are definitely racist.

ReputationRep:
    The progressive solution. Compulsory counter-racist education for every person from 3 years upwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sindyscape62)
    Why are you focusing about the US? My main point answering your question was much more general. Also I'm not talking 60's type racism, I'm talking about small subconscious biases which exist in most people, judgments we make about others in the first split second of seeing them. Studies show that these have an impact on most peoples actions, even if they don't believe they do. Any you can't deny Trump has racist supporters, the KKK endorses him, people at his rallies say things which are definitely racist.
    You claimed a large segment of the U.S. is racist. That's why I focused on the U.S.. Re; The studies you mentioned, those "small subconscious biases..." My guess is that race is only one of many physical characteristics we evaluate in that first "split second" when we encounter someone for the first time. Depending on the situation, and our experiences, a persons race may be a minor factor in our reaction to them.
    Calling this a "racist" reaction is a bit of a stretch.

" I can't deny Trump has racist supporters. Even the KKK endorses him." Really? is this the best you can do.? Mom and Dad spend a lot on your education?

I really shouldn't respond to the rock solid logic contained in the first two sentences above but I will say L have seen all of Trumps rallies and have not heard one racist remark from his supporters. I can't say that of Black Lives Matter and some of his other criminal detractors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Well before he ran for president he was pro choice and was accepting of LGBT people.
    But because he believes in a smaller government and more free markets he is a republican and in order to get anywhere in that party he has to be pro-life and DOMA (defence of marriage act)
    Did you hear his speech at the convention where he praised the republican party for endorsing LGBRQ rights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    The thing is that a persons beliefs do influence their actions.If you're president of the USA its not a good thing if you have racist beliefs because it will influence your dealings with foreign nations.To those saying trumps not an idiot I think they just dont want to believe that an idiot could actually be that close to being president.So they say oh it must be just an act he cant really be that stupid.But actually he can be.
    To everyones knowledge he's not committed one racist act and I've not heard him say one derogatory thing about anyones race. If American was a race, I would think you folks were racist

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.