Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What languages can you think in? In particular bilingual people. Watch

ReputationRep:
    If I spend all day talking in or listening to Spanish then my brain seems to switch into it, and sometimes I'll dream in it. I can't force myself to do it, though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I see this question so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think in French in my comfort zone because my vocabulary is limited (workin on it) but I do often translate in my head from en -> fr to help me practice

ReputationRep:
    It has been a very interesting read in this thread! I myself am fluent in 2 languages while I can read/talk about basic stuff in another 3. Suffice to say, I do not think in any of those latter 3 languages I studied English for 10 years but never actively used it in my every day conversations until I moved to the UK a couple of years ago. The transition from thinking in my own native language to thinking in English didn't come overnight but it was pretty seamless up until the point where I just realised I do not translate things in my head anymore as it is just easier to form a sentence/concept in my active language (English) straightaway. I think the main contributor is the fact that I have barely used my native language over the past few years so my primary language has kind of changed. There is one strong exception, though, and it's the numbers - I always seem to use my native language with them. Oh and dreams are also 50/50 - usually a mix of both languages.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.