The Unofficial TSR Libertarian Party

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    I support!

I've been looking to join the MHoC but none of the existing parties really appeal that much to me.
    What's up with that avatar? Is that Hillary Clinton's aborted child? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    What's up with that avatar? Is that Hillary Clinton's aborted child? :laugh:
    Ouch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galaxie501)
    Ouch.
    Yours is funny and saddening at the same time. :yy: You're not really an SJW though, right? I think I've seen a couple of your posts and they were socially sensible, if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Yours is funny and saddening at the same time. :yy: You're not really an SJW though, right? I think I've seen a couple of your posts and they were socially sensible, if I remember correctly.
    My profile has some clears answers on that. But in short, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Hopefully the big difference will be is that this Party seems to have a few more active members on TSR as a whole, so if the demonstrate by getting involved in the MhoC over the next couple weeks at least, it'd be more confident than the Nat Libs...
    Hopefully. Just don't want to see such promise **** up again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    True true

ReputationRep:
    Would you mind to explain this? Was before my time. I am obviously interested in avoiding other peoples mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Would you mind to explain this? Was before my time. I am obviously interested in avoiding other peoples mistakes.
    I was a dual member (Nat Libs and Liberals) and tbh the Nat Libs died. Leader was absent for ages and then got banned. Deputy leader made like 5 posts in the sub forum, vanished, and then resigned (but active elsewhere on the site). People just weren't interested. No constitution, no real leadership, no active recruitment. It takes a lot of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    It would be good to have a libertarian party, but I think a repeat of the Nat Libs should be avoided. Even if this gets 10 willing members, if I was Fez I would wait until an existing active MHoCer (we do have libertarians, after all) expresses their intention to get involved with this party/see whether a couple of the people mentioned are prepared to get involved with the MHoC(i.e. regularly commenting on bills, posting in the bar, maybe writing a couple of petitions) before approving it.
    In fairness, the NatLibs had Neb and Airmed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how its fair to judge the potential of this on the NatLibs, all because they went silent and didn't do so much it doesn't mean that this new group will.

ReputationRep:
    I will happily get on board with regards to setting up a constitution or whatever should we get to that stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    I don't see how its fair to judge the potential of this on the NatLibs, all because they went silent and didn't do so much it doesn't mean that this new group will.
    To be fair the Nat libs had abysmal leadership and seemed more like a vanity project for their creator. This doesn't however. If I were right wing I'd pledge support to try and get it up and running and help it to work.

ReputationRep:
    My profile has some clears answers on that. But in short, no.
    Haha, very well, you've just found another supporter for your cause, Mr. Attack Helicopter!

(Not a future member, though. I'm happy with my current party.)

ReputationRep:
    Anti-gun control and an 'extraordinarily free market'. Urgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Anti-gun control and an 'extraordinarily free market'. Urgh.
    Gun rights =/= Anti-gun control.

Extraordinarily free market =/= unregulated market.

ReputationRep:
    Gun rights =/= Anti-gun control.

Extraordinarily free market =/= unregulated market.
    In the UK we have gun control but you can get a licensed rifle and do sport or whatever. I see no reason whatsoever why our gun laws should change.

'Extraordinarily free' sounds a lot more 'free' than what we currently have - so goodbye to the NHS, welfare system and a great deal of regulation.

ReputationRep:
    Count me in.

ReputationRep:
    There is a chance this party could compete with the Liberal Party, I will be happy to defect to write bills, create motions, and boost the party's activity.

ReputationRep:
    One problem I see is that children from poorer backgrounds, regardless of innate talent, tend to have lesser opportunities, and this gap will surely be even further exacerbated by less social security/welfare, surely an important libertarian policy, thus undermining the general desire for meritocracy. Also surely anyone truly following libertarian ideals of small government would agree that private schools which require payment by the parents are perfectly acceptable, but obviously these are anti-meritocracy, pro-oligarchy. The only logical consequence I can see in a genuinely libertarian society is power becoming ever more concentrated in the hands of an elite. Not that this doesn't happen anyway, but if the principle is freedom and self-governance surely those born into better circumstances have more freedom by default, and not by any merit.

As my most fundamental belief is in individual liberty I am trying to see a way that this ideology, which at least on surface level is also fundamentally about individual liberty, can avoid being counterproductive.

ReputationRep:
    I was a dual member (Nat Libs and Liberals) and tbh the Nat Libs died. Leader was absent for ages and then got banned. Deputy leader made like 5 posts in the sub forum, vanished, and then resigned (but active elsewhere on the site). People just weren't interested. No constitution, no real leadership, no active recruitment. It takes a lot of work.
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I will happily get on board with regards to setting up a constitution or whatever should we get to that stage.
    (Original post by jake4198)
    Count me in.
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    There is a chance this party could compete with the Liberal Party, I will be happy to defect to write bills, create motions, and boost the party's activity.
    Thank you for all the criticism and support thus far. Excuse the question, but in what form am I allowed to get involved in mHoC bills, amendments and petitions? Considering I am a non-member of the house or any official party.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.