Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Herz)
    I've considered it obviously but I'm not sure to be honest - I don't feel comfortable enough with my languages to have that absolute fluency you need to do something like interpreting. As I think I said higher up I'd probably enjoy like written translation but I don't think it's a career with much "scope"
    Right, I see. What about teaching - wait, let me finish - English as a second language to those who speak German and Italian? i.e. teaching IELTS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herz)
    I wouldn't be against further study if I thought it would lend itself to a career path but right now as far as I can see at least for the moment there's nothing to gain from a Masters.

Something like Social Work/working with vulnerable people wouldn't be my cup of tea.

In terms of my own interests I don't know, like I said in the OP (super general stuff I know)...I want a career where I feel challenged, have to think a lot and work hard, handle lots of info, have to research maybe...
    One of my son's cousins, on his father's side did an Engineering degree at Trinity College Dublin. Landed himself a great job in management, at Jaguar Land Rover. Went all over Europe testing wind turbines,among other things. Did this for about 10 years. But his wife really wanted to move back to Ireland. So reluctantly he quit his beloved job, and enrolled on a course at Michael Smurfit Business School in Dublin. I don't know specifically the name of his Masters , but he now works as a trader on the Dublin Stock Exchange. Just gave you him as an example of the opportunities that are potentially out there.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Herz)
    I wouldn't be against further study if I thought it would lend itself to a career path but right now as far as I can see at least for the moment there's nothing to gain from a Masters.

Something like Social Work/working with vulnerable people wouldn't be my cup of tea.

In terms of my own interests I don't know, like I said in the OP (super general stuff I know)...I want a career where I feel challenged, have to think a lot and work hard, handle lots of info, have to research maybe...
    Not seeing your degree as worthless at all.
    What JSP said though, the issue is you need to start doing some research and see what jobs are out there and what interests you. Just start at the beginning and work your way though till you have identified the skills you like most and which jobs use them.

You could seek to use your degree directly or just use it as a route to graduate jobs. Go to your careers department and see where previous graduates went with your subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herz)
    Hi guys,

My degree: 2:1 German & Italian from Uni of Warwick

Didn't make the best use of it, no internships/significant society involvement

Work experience at present: 4 months admin in a bank

I'm aware of the reality of my situation that I'm not the most employable right now. I know now what I should have done better at uni etc but that's in the past now.

I'm willing to learn & work hard, just don't know what my options are.

Right now I'm applying for more admin roles for work right now and I will also be applying for grad schemes this autumn

What I'd like:
    • Something challenging/stimulating - a job where I feel like I really have to think, solve problems, analyse...
    • Relative autonomy in my work
    Not for me:
    • Teaching - Just doesn't appeal to me at all, & I don't think it should be a profession occupied by people who aren't 100% committed anyway
    • Sales/Recruitment - Not enough of a Type A personality to succeed here
    Any advice welcome
    you could work in the military as a translator

Wow. German.

And. all things are possible, your degree is not worthless.

Life is what you make of it, don't give up, languages are beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    One of my son's cousins, on his father's side did an Engineering degree at Trinity College Dublin. Landed himself a great job in management, at Jaguar Land Rover. Went all over Europe testing wind turbines,among other things. Did this for about 10 years. But his wife really wanted to move back to Ireland. So reluctantly he quit his beloved job, and enrolled on a course at Michael Smurfit Business School in Dublin. I don't know specifically the name of his Masters , but he now works as a trader on the Dublin Stock Exchange. Just gave you him as an example of the opportunities that are potentially out there.
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not seeing your degree as worthless at all.
    What JSP said though, the issue is you need to start doing some research and see what jobs are out there and what interests you. Just start at the beginning and work your way though till you have identified the skills you like most and which jobs use them.

You could seek to use your degree directly or just use it as a route to graduate jobs. Go to your careers department and see where previous graduates went with your subject.
    Yeah I know guys I need to direct myself properly, and there are options out there for when I make a real decision on the path I wanna go down.

(Original post by PHD2027)
    you could work in the military as a translator
    Not sure about the military. I'm **** at being shouted at while carrying a backpack the size of a Volkswagen

(Original post by Blackstarr)
    Wow. German.

And. all things are possible, your degree is not worthless.

Life is what you make of it, don't give up, languages are beautiful.
    Was that a good wow or a bad wow? :P
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think it was yout thread toyle about a good degree being worthless which was a bit too pity party for me.
    Just get on with it. Sooner you do the groundwork then the sooner you can start applying.
    There should be plenty of areas that will interest you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herz)
    Not sure about the military. I'm **** at being shouted at while carrying a backpack the size of a Volkswagen
    You don't have to be a soldier, you can be an officer decrypting information sent by a terrorist to another. you could always work in the MI5. or an interpreter at court translating for someone who cants speak proper English.

super_kawaii

maybe you could be off some help.

(Original post by Herz)
    Yeah I know guys I need to direct myself properly, and there are options out there for when I make a real decision on the path I wanna go down.

Was that a good wow or a bad wow? :P
    a good wow of course.

I don't see why not you can't be employable, at least with German

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about moving to another country you say that you're fluent in German I am aware that Germany is at the moment so desperate for skilled people to work there as they have an ageing population I'm sure you could get a decent paying job over there

ReputationRep:
    Work for a London wine merchant-- my guess is that most of them are pretty good with French (or have figured out how not to need any), but relationships with German and Italian producers/wholesalers may be harder to negotiate. Part of this assumes you have some knowledge and interest re the product.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I think it was yout thread toyle about a good degree being worthless which was a bit too pity party for me.
    Just get on with it. Sooner you do the groundwork then the sooner you can start applying.
    There should be plenty of areas that will interest you.
    Yeah I know sorry, you are right.

(Original post by Jee1)
    Have you thought about moving to another country you say that you're fluent in German I am aware that Germany is at the moment so desperate for skilled people to work there as they have an ageing population I'm sure you could get a decent paying job over there
    I would definitely consider moving to Germany (loved it on my Year Abroad) but aside from just the languages I don't really have any hard 'skills' I'd say so who knows what I could do really. If I'm unsure/struggling in the UK it only makes sense that I would be abroad.

(Original post by Camilli)
    Work for a London wine merchant-- my guess is that most of them are pretty good with French (or have figured out how not to need any), but relationships with German and Italian producers/wholesalers may be harder to negotiate. Part of this assumes you have some knowledge and interest re the product.
    A fun suggestion but I know nothing at all about wine. I get your suggestion though as a more general one, international account management or similar
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    1. Start doing SOMETHING: research careers, contact people, schedule work experience, go on coffee meet ups with people in jobs you like, reach out to people who were in your class with jobs

2. Get off tsr and stop trying to seek solace in other people

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Herz)
    Yeah I know sorry, you are right.
    The good side of it, is its clearly a good degree, good class from a good uni.

It will mean you can compete for most jobs when you decide what it is you wish to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herz)
    I would definitely consider moving to Germany (loved it on my Year Abroad) but aside from just the languages I don't really have any hard 'skills' I'd say so who knows what I could do really. If I'm unsure/struggling in the UK it only makes sense that I would be abroad.
    I don't think you need "hard skills" what matters is that you are educated and can speak German, if refugees that can't speak German can get jobs there so can you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    I don't think you need "hard skills" what matters is that you are educated and can speak German, if refugees that can't speak German can get jobs there so can you
    Not to be snobby but I'm not asking for guidance in how to find myself retail or w/e work...If I was just gonna end up doing low-level stuff long-term I'd just do it here not in Germany & anything more graduate-level would require more skills or at least some experience

(Original post by Princepieman)
    1. Start doing SOMETHING: research careers, contact people, schedule work experience, go on coffee meet ups with people in jobs you like, reach out to people who were in your class with jobs2. Get off tsr and stop trying to seek solace in other peoplePosted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I know I need to start networking hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herz)
    Yeah I know 2:1 from Warwick isn't "useless" really but still don't see what I can do with it esp. since I don't have any decent experience to back myself up/allow me to move into a field

I'd still need to find a decent job to move to Germany though in any case

Idk I just don't think I'd wanna teach

And yeah I know I could do worse & I need to get moving pretty quick and not just stagnate
    You were privately educated weren't you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    You were privately educated weren't you
    What gives you that impression?

(I wasn't, by the way - I come from about as poor a background as you can so)

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard of Camp America?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.