Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Well my parents keep saying things like 'you'll be a great doctor' and 'we can celebrate when you get your results'. I keep telling them that there's a pretty high chance I won't get the grades for medicine, but they literally pay no attention. I feel like they overestimate my intelligence 😂 My backup plan, which is to study neuroscience after my gap year is not accepted much either. I try and be really positive about failing, as there's always other options, but they just stay silent. I wish they were more enthusiastic about my backup plan! Tbh, parents just add to the overall stress of results day. Even though they mean well, often I wish they'd just let me be, and allow me to face my problems and sort my life out independently and without their scrutiny.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Student403)
    Don't say "So?? What did you get???" when I'm opening up my results.

Give me my own time to accept them and I will tell you
    Exactly!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Don't say 'I told you so' unless they're all A/A*s.

ReputationRep:
    I want my mum to come with me. Last year she waited in the car park I opened my results in college on my own and they were OK. Then my mum came in and sat with me while we talked to a teacher about what subject I'll be dropping, uni course etc. This year I'm going to check track of I get the grades I'll just collect my results and open them in e car or outside college. I would say a don't for parents is calling other family members and telling them your grades esp if they're mediocre. I have this annoying aunt tho who calls on results day just to be a *****. Last year she didn't call but came over instead, ivdidnt even bother coming down to greet her

ReputationRep:
    Erm.. stay the **** out of the way and let your child come to you if/when they want to

A tactic I used for AS was to lie to my parents as to when we were gonna be emailed our results, so that they expected them to come later than they did. If they go well, come out of your room celebrating and tell your parents you lied If not, sit in your room crying and hope to God that they don't come in unexpected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsrsarahhhh)
    I want my mum to come with me. Last year she waited in the car park I opened my results in college on my own and they were OK. Then my mum came in and sat with me while we talked to a teacher about what subject I'll be dropping, uni course etc. This year I'm going to check track of I get the grades I'll just collect my results and open them in e car or outside college. I would say a don't for parents is calling other family members and telling them your grades esp if they're mediocre. I have this annoying aunt tho who calls on results day just to be a *****. Last year she didn't call but came over instead, ivdidnt even bother coming down to greet her
    I've always asked the boys what they want me to do with regards letting family members etc know how they did.

With eldest, he put it all over Facebook anyway that his uni place was confirmed and then asked me to let the ones not on Facebook know (once he had completed sending his texts).

With middle son, he wanted me to do all the contacting and notifying including the normal Facebook post, as he was too busy consoling two of his classmates who had not done as well as expected and had missed both confirmed and insurance choice unis.

Last year and level 2 qualifications, youngest told me to wait until he had uploaded his results onto Facebook before sending out the texts/making the calls......hours and hours later (with ever more demanding texts and calls from relatives and friends being received by me), he finally did. It was absolutely agonising as I wanted to shout from the rooftops at how well he had done and how he had turned things around but I had to respect his wishes.

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell me my grades are good if I'm disappointed. I know they could be worse but I wanted better! Also, this is for my grandma, DON'T COMPARE MY GRADES TO MY COUSIN WHO WENT TO PRIVATE SCHOOL

ReputationRep:
    I've been staying up until like 4/5am every night watching the show "Musketeers" - so yeah my body clock is also screwed lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.