Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Body image 'a problem for boys' Watch

ReputationRep:
    Still better than fat acceptance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)

Aside from the fact the article includes a picture reinforcing the problem, the research is interesting...

"Of more than 1,000 eight- to 18-year-old boys polled, 55% would consider changing their diet to look better.And 23% said they believed there was a perfect male body."Boys are increasingly worried about their appearance," said Karen Fraser, of theCredos advertising industry think tank, which conducted the survey.Most of the boys polled saw eating disorders (56%) as an issue for both boys and girls."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37010205
    The dude in the picture is hot

ReputationRep:

Aside from the fact the article includes a picture reinforcing the problem, the research is interesting...

"Of more than 1,000 eight- to 18-year-old boys polled, 55% would consider changing their diet to look better.And 23% said they believed there was a perfect male body."Boys are increasingly worried about their appearance," said Karen Fraser, of theCredos advertising industry think tank, which conducted the survey.Most of the boys polled saw eating disorders (56%) as an issue for both boys and girls."

The only problem I see here is that 44% of boys are so dumb they only think EDs can happen to one gender.

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of when people pretend only girls "have to look a certain way" for "society" or they get "bullied".
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer

It's not surprising - images of ripped dudes are everywhere. Much like rake thin women.

Also there's an obesity epidemic in this country, with record numbers of obese children - who do need to diet to change their body for the better

(Original post by Trinculo)
    How is it an impossible body image?

The only reason I don't have a super chiselled bod is because I drink a ton of alcohol and really really like carbs, and I find the gym really boring.

But the boys who will spend the time at the gym and will cut their carbs and will drink those disgusting shakes - they'll get close to these magazine cover bodies without too much trouble.

It's almost as if the sporting physique is now some kind of source of shame. You see that Andy Murray? He doesn't exist. His body is all photoshop. Same with that Cristiano Ronaldo. Same with everyone you're about to see on TV in the Olympics in the next two weeks. They're not real.
    Delusion is real that cutting carbs and picking up the odd weight leads to that kind of physique.

CR7 has unreal genetics, is a professional sportsmen and probs takes some Special S on his cereal as are these guys performing in on TV for your viewing pleasure atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Delusion is real that cutting carbs and picking up the odd weight leads to that kind of physique.
    What delusion? I said that do a bit and you can get close. Sure, you won't be a greek statue but you'd get somewhere.

CR7 has unreal genetics, is a professional sportsmen and probs takes some Special S on his cereal as are these guys performing in on TV for your viewing pleasure atm
    This is exactly the point. If someone exists, it's not impossible. The whole point is that theses are impossible ideals. They're not. It would be fairer to say that it's impossible to be as good at football as Cristiano. But it's not impossible, is it?

ReputationRep:
    There's an interesting video on this topic.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by stripystockings)
    Nice to have a survey with a good sample size confirming this.
    1,000 is generally considered more than enough.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    If it wasn't for the fact that I care about my physique, I'd hardly do any exercise and I'd eat like crap. Same for a lot of people. I think staying in good shape should be promoted and celebrated, not only for aesthetic purposes but also for general health. It is a shame though that young lads turn to steroids and the like purely because they feel pressured to have the body that they believe society requires - usually, their view on said standard is warped and they could have a body that most members of the public would see as a great body within a couple of years of training and keeping an eye on their diet.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. Anyone who is generally fit, does some sport and a bit of weights etc will have a good physique. You don't need to have super large muscles to have a good body, being a bit toned or generally alright shape is always good. Which applies to both men and women. I was guilty when I was younger of thinking super bulky was the only way my body would look good, which was impossible to achieve because I am naturally very skinny. Eventually you realise people just like healthy bodies really, not to mention that the way people look isn't the be all either.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth did they use that ridiculous picture?

ReputationRep:
    I think guys bulk up to look dominant to other people but strangely enough that doesnt work on guys like me. Strength training and cardio is what guys should aim for and it will automatically build their physique.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff

The issue is that all of these 'fitness' models that youngsters look up to are on steroids, just like Jeff Seid, the guy pictured in the original post.

These people set unrealistic expectations on young adults by lying about their steroid use and thus ultimately lead young dudes to either develop an eating disorder, body dismorphia and ultimately take steroids themselves and ultimately ruin their reproductive system.

Very sad.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    What delusion? I said that do a bit and you can get close. Sure, you won't be a greek statue but you'd get somewhere.

This is exactly the point. If someone exists, it's not impossible. The whole point is that theses are impossible ideals. They're not. It would be fairer to say that it's impossible to be as good at football as Cristiano. But it's not impossible, is it?
    You do not do a bit and look like these guys. Anybody with any knowledge of lifting is aware that you don't do some curls and bench, turn round and end up looking like a fitness model. If it was so easy, why are the dozens of young men in gyms up and down the country not all looking like it. Many of the people in said ads are also outside what is considered a healthy bf% and outside what is considered a natural FFMI

It is practically impossible to be as good as CR7 is at football. There's one guy who stands on the same level, and a few close. 1 in 7billion isn't great odds is it.

The ideals portrayed are unhealthy and a lot of the time impossible naturally. If not it's years upon years of work, with genetics on your side

(Original post by kalclash)
    The issue is that all of these 'fitness' models that youngsters look up to are on steroids, just like Jeff Seid, the guy pictured in the original post.

These people set unrealistic expectations on young adults by lying about their steroid use and thus ultimately lead young dudes to either develop an eating disorder, body dismorphia and ultimately take steroids themselves and ultimately ruin their reproductive system.

Very sad.
    Good post

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.