Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I have a friend who made an open application, got allocated Girton, got pooled, got asked back for interview at Caius and Fitz on two separate days, and then didn't get an offer. I felt really sorry for him, nobody should have to go through that!
    Well I had interviews at two on one day which was horrible as I had a general interview and an exam before one of the interviews (timed essay and harmonisation). After that I went home and slept for 8 hours which is more than my usual 3-4 hours.

MB

ReputationRep:
    If you are interviewed by a second or third college at Oxford, do you get to specify which other colleges you like, i.e. put a first, second and third choice, or is it just random?

ReputationRep:
    lol. i was well knackered after my interviews. 5hours in the car in total. plus sitting in the car cos it rained followed by my 2 ints and 30mins prep. added to the stress. yup i was shattered.

does anyone remember when they found out they had their offer? i was lyin in bed on new yrs eve and my dad came in, i was half asleep so opened the letter and read the word 'pleased' and gave it bk to him then went bk to sleep lol. i was too tired and it was sprung on me so i didnt have any time to get nervous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    If you are interviewed by a second or third college at Oxford, do you get to specify which other colleges you like, i.e. put a first, second and third choice, or is it just random?
    you dont get to choose a second college unless you apply to a PPH. The second and third colleges are fairly random but for subjects such as History and PPE they have groups, I think they are in the back of the paper prospectus. thus last year if you applied for pembroke you knew that you werent gonna get st hildas as a a second choice but you could get balliol. I applied for Pembroke but didnt even get an interview there as they passed me straight over to my second choice college St Annes, and i knew if i didnt get in there was screwed as my 3rd was Balliol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    you dont get to choose a second college unless you apply to a PPH. The second and third colleges are fairly random but for subjects such as History and PPE they have groups, I think they are in the back of the paper prospectus. thus last year if you applied for pembroke you knew that you werent gonna get st hildas as a a second choice but you could get balliol. I applied for Pembroke but didnt even get an interview there as they passed me straight over to my second choice college St Annes, and i knew if i didnt get in there was screwed as my 3rd was Balliol.
    Ah ok thanks. Do you happen to know if there are any groups for Geog, or point me to a link that might tell me?

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok thanks. Do you happen to know if there are any groups for Geog, or point me to a link that might tell me?
    http://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/students/admissions.pdf is the best thing i could find, it doesnt tell you exactly what happens but gives you some idea. but basically if you apply to somewhere like st hildas dont be expecting to get interviewed somewhere else, but if you apply to one of the more 'prestigious' colleges you are more likely. tbh its not really worth worrying about all that much, its more like that you'll either be rejected/accepted at ur first choice rahter than wandering around oxford for a few days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    http://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/students/admissions.pdf is the best thing i could find, it doesnt tell you exactly what happens but gives you some idea. but basically if you apply to somewhere like st hildas dont be expecting to get interviewed somewhere else, but if you apply to one of the more 'prestigious' colleges you are more likely. tbh its not really worth worrying about all that much, its more like that you'll either be rejected/accepted at ur first choice rahter than wandering around oxford for a few days
    Thanks for all your help on this

ReputationRep:
    What happened to Trinity Ellie? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    What happened to Trinity Ellie? :P
    It's still Trinity if I apply to Cam, just Worcester if I apply to Ox

ReputationRep:
    Bah! Don't apply somewhere named after a sauce!

ReputationRep:
    Bah! Don't apply somewhere named after a sauce!
    And yet you'll apply to somewhere named after a soft drink company :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    And yet you'll apply to somewhere named after a soft drink company :rolleyes:
    Ellie, are you applying for Economics, yes?

ReputationRep:
    Schweppes College Cambridge?

Robinson's named after a drinks company? There's a drinks company called Robinson? I didn't know. You must be a heavy drinker dear. And I bet the pubs in Cam are better

ReputationRep:
    I've suddenly realised I do know said company. I used to be forcefed orange squash as a child and I had blocked out all memories relating to Robinsons.

And if you go to Cam you'll be going to a college named after a Matrix character in PVC :P

ReputationRep:
    Schweppes College Cambridge?

Robinson's named after a drinks company? There's a drinks company called Robinson? I didn't know. You must be a heavy drinker dear. And I bet the pubs in Cam are better
    No as in 'Robinsons fruit and barley' and other assorted squashes! Though you're right, I am a heavy drinker!

And yep, Economics still... though geog is calling my name too, I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Combine them both! Do the fabulous Land Economy Attend the same university as the famous shiny! What more could you want?

ReputationRep:
    Combine them both! Do the fabulous Land Economy Attend the same university as the famous shiny! What more could you want?
    No doubt about it, it'll be land economy at Cam, or straight geography at Ox, and joint honours at some of the other unis I suppose. I don't know what to do, Ox or Cam, Ox or Cam... argh!!!

ReputationRep:
    *Ahem* Should that not be SuperShiny - Superhero in Pink?

Although maybe you might want to skip on the "pink" bit when you get into Trinity!

ReputationRep:
    No doubt about it, it'll be land economy at Cam, or straight geography at Ox, and joint honours at some of the other unis I suppose. I don't know what to do, Ox or Cam, Ox or Cam... argh!!!
    Oxford sucks!

P.S. Although Oxford might improve once I am there

ReputationRep:
    I don't even consider it a dilemma, if you want a social life and people with personalities, go to Oxford, if you want hardcore academia, go to Cambridge.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.