Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M451)
    http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Pr...pt=ABU&sel=NTB

The laptop in question. Personally I'd never buy a laptop that large and would instead go for a more pricey 2-in-1 or ultraportable.
    It depends what you want I spent £770 on my laptop

I7-7600hq
    16gb ram
    Sandisk business class ssd 256GB 4K read speed
    960m gpu
    Plus an trusted platform module

However this is to replace my desktop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    It depends what you want I spent £770 on my laptop

I7-7600hq
    16gb ram
    Sandisk business class ssd 256GB 4K read speed
    960m gpu
    Plus an trusted platform module

However this is to replace my desktop.
    My situation is similar. I use my laptop as a desktop through a docking station. Broadwell i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD and TPM, fingerprint scanner and other fancy stuff for around £600. Standard price being £1000. The main benefit is portability, it's pretty much a MB Air 13", just a little smaller.

For uni, I'd strongly recommend a small and portable laptop. 15" is way too much to be carrying around with you. You also have the option of buying a dock and external monitor to use if you need a big screen.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a two-in-one mate

ReputationRep:
    use ebay

ReputationRep:
    I'm living at home - I have an iMac at home. I'm thinking about taking an iPad to uni daily. Will this be enough? Would the iPad be a pain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Can someone tell me what their opinions are on refurbished laptops?

And rate the following please? http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenov...uk/version.asp

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Lenovos are bad. Don't cheap out on a laptop at Uni because it will be possibly the most important thing you over the next 3 years. Get a laptop with an SSD, no 2 in 1s. ASUS and Apple the best brands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daal roti hummus)
    Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Can someone tell me what their opinions are on refurbished laptops?

And rate the following please? http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenov...uk/version.asp

Thanks
    My family has had a terrible time with laptops breaking in the past, my biggest fear, is it has a lower warranty and will break even faster than a brand new, but then you might luck out anyways. It's a gamble imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.