Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V1025 – Hallucinogens Research Bill 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    54.35%
    On the contrary, No
    30.43%
    Abstain
    15.22%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    It will still pass. I would like to stress again that this bill was not written by a Tory.
    Makes the indefensible even worse.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Makes the indefensible even worse.
    I'm sorry but these are some horribly potent drugs that can cause all sorts of damage, both mentally and physically. The inspiration for writing this Act was after a chap I knew threw himself down the stairs and died after taking a fairly respectable dose of LSD. These sort of drugs are not to be messed around with. They need to be researched thoroughly before they're released to the general public to consume as they will, and we need a better system of control when we do.

This Act allows for as much research as is needed, without allowing the general population freedom to take enormous doses and do damage to themselves. You may say that they will be able to get them off the black market anyway, however, this Act makes it harder to do so, and we as a Government state our position as opposed to the freedom to misuse powerful drugs.

When you've seen people die from these sort of things, it's very difficult to take a liberal attitude.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    I'm sorry but these are some horribly potent drugs that can cause all sorts of damage, both mentally and physically. The inspiration for writing this Act was after a chap I knew threw himself down the stairs and died after taking a fairly respectable dose of LSD. These sort of drugs are not to be messed around with. They need to be researched thoroughly before they're released to the general public to consume as they will, and we need a better system of control when we do.

This Act allows for as much research as is needed, without allowing the general population freedom to take enormous doses and do damage to themselves. You may say that they will be able to get them off the black market anyway, however, this Act makes it harder to do so, and we as a Government state our position as opposed to the freedom to misuse powerful drugs.

When you've seen people die from these sort of things, it's very difficult to take a liberal attitude.
    When the chap you knew died LSD was illegal. So that means no government intervention in the market and no reasonable education for the public on dosage or potential side effects. This Act makes the black market the only market so it's now a million times easier. Your 'Act' as you so gloatingly italicise will make people less free *and* less safe under the guise of allowing for research that there's already legal provision for. A masterful achievement.

I'm lucky that the people I know who've been involved in this crap survived. But by God I'd take a government regulated market over a *****y, incredibly easy to access black market any day. So forgive me for not giving a damn about a Liberal's inability to 'take a liberal attitude'. I'll see this undone.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    When the chap you knew died LSD was illegal. So that means no government intervention in the market and no reasonable education for the public on dosage or potential side effects. This Act makes the black market the only market so it's now a million times easier. Your 'Act' as you so gloatingly italicise will make people less free *and* less safe under the guise of allowing for research that there's already legal provision for. A masterful achievement.

I'm lucky that the people I know who've been involved in this crap survived. But by God I'd take a government regulated market over a *****y, incredibly easy to access black market any day. So forgive me for not giving a damn about a Liberal's inability to 'take a liberal attitude'. I'll see this undone.
    You seem to be suggesting that the only way to educate people about something is to make it legal, should we therefore legalise murder because people clearly don't know the consequence is death and a long prison sentence :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You seem to be suggesting that the only way to educate people about something is to make it legal, should we therefore legalise murder because people clearly don't know the consequence is death and a long prison sentence :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That reductio ad absurdum isn't even clever, which you know, so you put 'you seem to be suggesting' and a cutesy emoji so you don't have to look like your weak argument is one you're seriously making.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That reductio ad absurdum isn't even clever, which you know, so you put 'you seem to be suggesting' and a cutesy emoji so you don't have to look like your weak argument is one you're seriously making.
    Legalisation trivially isn't needed to teach consequences. Do you think meth and coke are bad? I'm going to guess you will say yes and have done neither. Do you know the side effects of both? Again, I wager the answer is yes without them being legal.

Consequently your argument isn't holding water. Most have done neither and neither is legal yet most know what both do, 'good' and bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Legalisation trivially isn't needed to teach consequences. Do you think meth and coke are bad? I'm going to guess you will say yes and have done neither. Do you know the side effects of both? Again, I wager the answer is yes without them being legal.

Consequently your argument isn't holding water. Most have done neither and neither is legal yet most know what both do, 'good' and bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This bill isn't about meth and coke. It's about less well understood drugs so your 'argument isn't holding water'. And for the record I have no idea what the healthy dosage for methamphetamine is, nor am I well versed in it's short and long term effects. But I imagine I would be a heck of a lot more aware if it was legal. The fact of the matter is your legislation doesn't protect people except in your mind.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This bill isn't about meth and coke. It's about less well understood drugs so your 'argument isn't holding water'. And for the record I have no idea what the healthy dosage for methamphetamine is, nor am I well versed in it's short and long term effects. But I imagine I would be a heck of a lot more aware if it was legal. The fact of the matter is your legislation doesn't protect people except in your mind.
    Again, you seem to be suggesting that the only way to educate people is legalisation, which is absurd, how do you educate people? You educate them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Again, you seem to be suggesting that the only way to educate people is legalisation, which is absurd, how do you educate people? You educate them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I 'suggested' a lot of things but not that it was the 'only way' so you have to qualify your counter with 'you seem to be suggesting'. Legalisation forces the government to act and to educate - something that should happen anyway. There is nothing stopping you from legislating to educate people though I don't expect this government to pour resources into telling people the correct dosages for illegal drugs. Legalisation also keeps people from the black market, therefore protecting them (as well as their individual liberty).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 25
    Noes to the left: 14
    Abstentions: 7

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 92%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.