Turn on thread page Beta

I think I have a drinking problem watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decota)
    That is symptomatic of clinical depression and alcohol may be a temporary fix. So I would recommend you see your GP. (were you to be in this predicament..)
    I would have already done that and be on medication, would I have been in this predicament :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by med..student)
    I know that it isn't easy but once you started to solve them ...... you will end them up
    You're insane. You're one of these people who come out with meaningless, empty phrases that don't actually mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gareth-Lee Smith)
    My dad once said something very pertinent - "Never trust anybody who says "Trust me"".
    it is up to you , i didn't force you to do that

ReputationRep:
    To the OP, I think it's brilliant that you recognise that you may have a problem.

I have social phobia and could not face social situations so basically I've had to put off uni and work for 3 years.

I have to admit that what you're saying is one of the major reasons that I don't drink vast amounts - because you may feel great at the time but you inevitably feel very depressed later on.

I would honestly say that alcohol is the devil of modern society - it should be enjoyed in moderation but many don't seem to understand that.

I think the med_student on this forum has it spot on but what I would say that a couple of drinks doesn't really do any harm. Drink enough to lose some of your inhibitions but not to excess because you end up being a different person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decota)
    That is symptomatic of clinical depression and alcohol may be a temporary fix. So I would recommend you see your GP. (were you to be in this predicament..)
    you are RIGHT

not good reason .:confused: you can correct your mistakes and as a result living happily .Because once you wake up after drinking you will see the same problems ( i mean you will forget them just for a while ) . Don't ever think some people don't have ... we all do have But the brilliant person is the one who can confront problems and not escaping ..:p:
    It's worth pointing out that no-one ever needed a good reason to do anything. Even a terrible reason is still a reason, 's why it's called a reason. Specious, I know, but fun nonetheless. Which is, incidentally, the reason why most people drink (not because it's specious but because it's fun.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    You're insane. You're one of these people who come out with meaningless, empty phrases that don't actually mean anything.
    are you really British!! because i saw lovely and politely ones :mad:

ReputationRep:
    are you really British!! because i saw lovely and politely ones :mad:
    Yes(!!) I'm also realistic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in agreement with HearTheThunder and med_student;

You both make valid points.

Drinking isn't bad for you - binge drinking is.

Don't drink heavily to escape something serious like depression or social phobia (what I have) - it's a slippery slope, it's why I've never done it.

ReputationRep:
    The anxiety after binge drinking is caused by high blood pressure related to dehydration and low blood sugar, several of my friends say they also are quite horny the next day too, it's quite common to feel anxiety though. A friend of mine who used to get panic attacks would wake up the next morning and would stave them off with a hair of the dog.

As for the clinical depression HTT, your best bet surprisingly is a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist. Who will establish whether you need medication, therapy, both or neither, as said though the first step is a Dr, if he thinks you need a referral great, if not and he just throws SSRI's at you, I'd ask for one, say you wouldn't mind seeking some professional help, therapy or something, it's free on the NHS, Gord bless the NHS. Also most universities have at the least a counsellor, or someone you can be referred to, to give free mental health care/advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidhe)
    if not and he just throws SSRI's at you
    I see someone's familiar with doctors :p:

ReputationRep:
    What do you study Sidhe?

ReputationRep:
    OP, when I used to drink I was similar to you. I tried to just drink to have a good time with my friends but realised that I was much happier whilst I was drinking (later was a completely different matter though) so thought it was a good way to escape from my problems. I could not have been more wrong.

Eventually, I knew I was in the middle of a mental breakdown after I had been drinking (not that much this time) and I phoned my friend because I couldn't trust myself. We came to the conclusion that it was the alcohol that caused the breakdown so I'm off the drink until my depression is cured now.

ReputationRep:
    I see someone's familiar with doctors :p:
    My Dr is an idiot, I had SAD undiagnosed for years and years before I was given medication, it ruined my education. Don't get me started on Dr's :rolleyes:

2 meetings with a clinical psychologists and finally someone who knew how to do his damn job, GP's are not mental health care workers, they have comparatively the most meagre training and frankly I don't think they should be able to prescribe anti depressants.

What do you study Sidhe?
    Maths atm, next year hopefully Physics Degree, I'm already a bit of a nerd on physics though.

I also have an interest in phisiology, my ultimate goal is to become a clinical scientist in medical physics, up until a couple of months ago I worked in a med phys dept for five years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidhe)
    My Dr is an idiot, I had SAD undiagnosed for years and years before I was given medication, it ruined my education. Don't get me started on Dr's :rolleyes:

2 meetings with a clinical psychologists and finally someone who knew how to do his damn job, Dr's are not mental health care workers, they have comparatively the most meagre training and frankly I don't think they should be able to prescribe anti depressants.

Maths atm, next year hopefully Physics Degree, I'm already a bit of a nerd on physics though.
    Mine's awful. A conversation I had with him the other day went like this:

Me: I'm having extreme mood swings
    Doctor: So you're depressed
    Me: Sometimes
    Doctor: Depressed, anything else?
    Me: Er, well I have ups and downs, and I'm hallucinating
    Doctor: Oh. You need to smile more. Have some drugs.

ReputationRep:
    in fact Drinking = destroying yourself :mad:

I really don't know why most of you drink? although you know that it is bad for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    really wanna know your explanation GUYS ??:confused:
    Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessyfencer)
    Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?
    :love:

ReputationRep:
    Mine's awful. A conversation I had with him the other day went like this:

Me: I'm having extreme mood swings
    Doctor: So you're depressed
    Me: Sometimes
    Doctor: Depressed, anything else?
    Me: Er, well I have ups and downs, and I'm hallucinating
    Doctor: Oh. You need to smile more. Have some drugs.
    :rofl: ask for a referal to someone who is competent in mental health, like I say GP's are not usually very good at mental issues, if your hallucinating it could be a sign of some sort of psychosis, I'm no expert but hallucinating is not a good sign. It maybe just symptomatic of the depression but it could be mild form of manic depression or something worse? I doubt it you don't sound loopy but then don't ask me ask a professional psychologist, your Dr will probably be glad to refer you, if not slap him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidhe)
    :rofl: ask for a referal to someone who is competent in mental health, like I say GP's are not usually very good at mental issues, if your hallucinating it could be a sign of some sort of psychosis, I'm no expert but hallucinating is not a good sign. It maybe just symptomatic of the depression but it could be mild form of manic depression or something worse? I doubt it you don't sound loopy but then don't ask me ask a professional psychologist, your Dr will probably be glad to refer you, if not slap him
    I did, he said:

"No. I will treat you myself. Don't insult me. I've been on a psychiatry course."

ReputationRep:
    I did, he said:

"No. I will treat you myself. Don't insult me. I've been on a psychiatry course."
    Unlucky...

Yep, do what Sidhe said and slap him. :p:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.