Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should banks and business be forced add an extra gender option. watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why a bank should judge a decision based on a persons gender, whether biological or perceived, anyway. Just get rid of the question.

ReputationRep:
    It's ironic that banks care more about whether you have a penis or not than whether you can actually afford their loans & services.

All banks have to do is add another box next to the male/female options. It's not rocket science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    It's ironic that banks care more about whether you have a penis or not than whether you can actually afford their loans & services.

All banks have to do is add another box next to the male/female options. It's not rocket science.
    ...or the teenage can just admit to being male or female?

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I don't believe they need to know your gender or ethnic group any more than they need to know the size of your equipment or your sexual preference.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wonder what public toilets the person in question uses? :beard::beard::confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    The reason they ask for gender is to establish wether to put mr or miss /mrs on documents and cards

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, a business should have the right to determine the questions they ask their customers. If they need certain information from you that you aren't willing to give, go elsewhere.

Secondly, male and female aren't aspects of one's preferred identity. Biologically you are either male or female (and being intersex is incredibly rare). If you are male, be honest and say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)

(Original post by Brahmin of Booty)
    In all honesty I don't believe they need to know your gender or ethnic group any more than they need to know the size of your equipment or your sexual preference.
    Banks want to be able to identify individuals accurately for security reasons. The more information about the customer and who they are, the better.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Firstly, a business should have the right to determine the questions they ask their customers.
    Because there's absolutely no way that businesses could possibly abuse this "right". :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Banks want to be able to identify individuals accurately for security reasons. The more information about the customer and who they are, the better.
    An extra 'other' box would be consistent with that - or simply removing the question and adding a different one, such as your shoe size or the diameter of your nipples. Those two obviously wouldn't be practical for younger people, but they're just as irrelevant as gender/sex. Of course there's not really much point in changing one otherwise irrelevant security question for another, but hey.

Secondly, male and female aren't aspects of one's preferred identity. Biologically you are either male or female (and being intersex is incredibly rare). If you are male, be honest and say so.
    I think that's a little dishonest, since they most certainly can be used to mean precisely that. If the bank are clear what they mean (which they could do much better by asking for sex rather than gender), then fair enough, but I'm not sure the rarity of intersex is that relevant. If a specific ethnicity were sufficiently rare, you wouldn't expect people of that ethnicity to just have to choose 'black' or 'white' or 'Asian' or whatever. Certainly their own rare ethnic origin might not appear in the list, but there'd be an 'other' box so that they could at least answer the question correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Why is the father promoting such degeneracy? Where did our society go wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    The reason they ask for gender is to establish wether to put mr or miss /mrs on documents and cards
    Then why do they ask you that as well? If I recall correctly, anyone can choose any social title they like. You don't need any documentation whatsoever; you simply inform all the relevant bodies that you're now using a different title and they amend their records. On most of my documents I'm 'Mr' now, but I'm pretty sure I could write to my bank or the passport office today and change that to 'Ms' with no trouble.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.