Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it rude to describe an overweight person as 'fat'? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 'overweight' but not fat. Overweight is just above average BMI.

ReputationRep:
    Calling someone fat is insulting. Treat others how you like them to treat you. Be nice.*

(Original post by fayeztheman)
    Or is that the accurate term?
    Even if it is correctly applied, it's rude. Let's draw a comparison: Say someone has a big nose. If I said to them "You have a big nose" that observation might be perfectly accurate, but it would still be rude of me to have made it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    The truth hurts.
    The truth burns*

If only it burnt fat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Just giving people grief obviously won't help, but trying to educate people as to the dangers to their health with molly-coddling them might get through to some people. I've certainly never tried to fat-shame anyone or made any kind of remark to people I don't know.
    I think it is those who feel people choose to be overweight who need the most education. I have a few friends who are obese. All of them are aware of it. All have tried absolutely everything to do something about it. All of them have issues that cause them to overeat. None of them decided to become fat.

So perhaps a little understanding and compassion might go a lot further than isolation, shaming or "telling them straight" because they need a healthy dose of reality.

I don't judge you. I hope you don't judge me or others on your own preconceptions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I think it is those who feel people choose to be overweight who need the most education. I have a few friends who are obese. All of them are aware of it. All have tried absolutely everything to do something about it. All of them have issues that cause them to overeat. None of them decided to become fat.

So perhaps a little understanding and compassion might go a lot further than isolation, shaming or "telling them straight" because they need a healthy dose of reality.

I don't judge you. I hope you don't judge me or others on your own preconceptions.
    I'm not trying to judge anyone, I just think sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

ReputationRep:
    Most people who are overweight know they are, so why feel the need to say it either to their face or behind their backs?
    If someone is overweight, and it is not affecting you directly, then you have no right to remark on it at all, because there is no purpose or benefit to that person, unless you are a health professional, or they want to specifically discuss it. Even then, no self-respecting professional would use the term 'fat.'

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't but yeah..

ReputationRep:
    Next thing is that calling a short guy short is insulting because it hurts his feelings and there is really nothing he can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    No because my friend is underweight and he gets called skinny all the time and he's fine with it so fat people should be called fat. If they don't want to be called fat they can lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    Treat others the way you'd like to be treated. That's how I'd put it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.