Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "But every night he would retreat into his darkened bedroom at home in Rainham, Essex, and enter a grisly virtual world that revelled in sadism, ritual blood-letting and death. Just like millions of other youngsters."

Roffle. Someone did their GCSE English dissertation on Stephen King novels...

ReputationRep:
    "One of baby-faced Harling's favourite games was the notorious Manhunt, where players SLASH and SLICE their victims with meat CLEAVERS, cheese WIRE and CHAINSAWS, or suffocate them with plastic bags. "

I love how they don't capitalise 'cheese' - clearly far too non-threatening.

ReputationRep:
    next time some **** on tsr makes a stupid comment.
    ....hmm.

GTA 3 taught me not to mess with old asian ladies (they're all ninjas).
    I haven't actually played any of the games but that is advice I will take on board.

ReputationRep:
    Boy, that's some shifting of responsibility there.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid newspaper. The editors probably constructed the interview to get the answers they wanted to hear- and the parents, glad of the excuse, went along with it.

The boy was a mere psychopath, who was drawn to the game- rather than being an innocent little chap who was influenced by a game.

I think it is a tad harsh to blame the parents- they couldn't help their son being a nutter- unless he was seriously mistreated and abused etc, as so often is the case with murderers.

ReputationRep:
    *gets off lord of the rings online* OK, next thing that looks like an orc (i.e. 80% of chavs) is getting a claymore to the head. This argument is rediculous. Physcopaths get their stimulus from many different things in real life, that doesnt mean you blame the bloody things. Do you blame the kids the Virginia Tech fella shot becasue they pissed him off?

ReputationRep:
    That reminds me: I really must invest in some sensational toilet-paper. Ta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    *gets off lord of the rings online* OK, next thing that looks like an orc (i.e. 80% of chavs) is getting a claymore to the head. This argument is rediculous. Physcopaths get their stimulus from many different things in real life, that doesnt mean you blame the bloody things. Do you blame the kids the Virginia Tech fella shot becasue they pissed him off?
    Yes, but, you see, people can't but piss one another off; whereas we're all agreed that the world would be more hospitable (not to mention, civilised) in the absence of games, music, poetry, literature and overtly salacious cave-drawings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    "One of baby-faced Harling's favourite games was the notorious Manhunt, where players SLASH and SLICE their victims with meat CLEAVERS, cheese WIRE and CHAINSAWS, or suffocate them with plastic bags. "

I love how they don't capitalise 'cheese' - clearly far too non-threatening.
    "One of baby-FACED Harling's favourite GAMES was THE notorious Manhunt, where PLAYERS slash AND slice THEIR victims WITH meat cleavers, CHEESE wire and chainsaws, or suffocate them with PLASTIC bags."

You may mock now, but rest assured: someday, soon, re-apportioning emphasis to (vaguely) comic effect will be the only recreation we have left.

ReputationRep:
    *shows profesh the edit button and the beauty of limited comma use*

whereas we're all agreed that the world would be more hospitable (not to mention, civilised) in the absence of games, music, poetry, literature and overtly salacious cave-drawings.
    I disagree. Escapism is the main tool for avoiding the boredom of reality and, so long as reality and humans exist, there will always be the offshoot of virtual reality or fantasy, due to human's interaction with reality. I understand u were being ironic (i think), but i was proving your point in more concrete terms, and with less commas.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Escapism is the main tool for avoiding the boredom of reality and, so long as reality and humans exist, there will always be the offshoot of virtual reality or fantasy, due to human's interaction with reality. I understand u were being ironic (i think), but i was proving your point in more concrete terms, and with less commas.
    It was intentional. That's right: all of it.

[*fewer]

ReputationRep:
    oh baby, seduce me with your knowledge of The Economist's style guide.

intentional use of too many commas explains why your only at Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    oh baby, seduce me with your knowledge of The Economist's style guide.

And lack of grammatical skill shows that Oxbridge is getting sloppy in its old age?

ReputationRep:
    Not when it comes to History baby. And its late, as you pointed out for YOUR sloppyness and ownage at my hands in other threads.

ReputationRep:
    Not when it comes to History baby. And its late, as you pointed out for YOUR sloppyness and ownage at my hands in other threads.
    Oi, like where, bizatch?

ReputationRep:
    Iran arrests squirrels thread/most important people in history thread. Everybody, surf over and watch domination in action (although the spectacle is now very much in its dénouement).

Also, did I just manage to get one over on Profesh? I still havent been owned with an awesome comeback.

ReputationRep:
    Iran arrests squirrels thread/most important people in history thread. Everybody, surf over and watch domination in action (although the spectacle is now very much in its dénouement).

Also, did I just manage to get one over on Profesh? I still havent been owned with an awesome comeback.
    Delusion, my dear boy. The only person who owns me is my pimp.

ReputationRep:
    And yet Oxford have ever been the innovator when it comes to grammar. (Which perhaps explains why you yourself took such pains to contrive a plausible excuse.)

ReputationRep:
    Clear expression doesnt leave much for innovation.

ReputationRep:
    does this newspaper actually put some words in capitals like that? i'm finding this really hard to believe.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.