Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    I remember him saying that out of his 6 applications, he got 2 offers and 4 rejections; 1 being Cambridge.

So he probably got rejected from Bristol.

And this is Ralfskini, one of the cleverest people in the world!
    Gods, Bristol are dumbarses then.. They clearly weren't good enough for you, Ralf!

ReputationRep:
    Bristol sound really nasty to me!
    (I'm not even bothering getting a prospectus from there).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Well I'm hoping to get most of my fees paid for me so it might end up cheaper going to England. I'm thinking 4 English 2 Scottish atm. Plus I don't like the idea of city unis very much and most of the Scottish ones are. Heriot Watt don't do politics, and St Andrews only do Int Relations and I don't want to go there.
    I applied to 5, keeping one space free - since you can add in the 6th at any time until June. Lots of people I spoke to seemed not to know they could have done this!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I certainly didn't!
    That's a good idea actually. I think I may just do that
    Is it just one space or can you keep multiple spaces?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I certainly didn't!
    That's a good idea actually. I think I may just do that
    Is it just one space or can you keep multiple spaces?
    As many as you want

Which unis are you thinking of applying to, apart from Cambridge and York?

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge for SPS
    York for Politics and Sociology
    Durham for Combined Honours in Social Sciences (although I'm not 100% sure I want to go there. Seems to have a rah reputation and poor accommodation)
    Keele for Politics and Computing
    Edinburgh and/or Aberdeen for some kind of Politics based degree
    Possibly throw in Computer Games Technology at Abertay. My second choice degree course and my mum reckons providing I get my grades they should accept me without looking at my personal statement and wondering why I'm nattering about politics (fingers crossed). Supposedly the Scottish unis don't really bother with personal statements much.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge for SPS
    York for Politics and Sociology
    Durham for Combined Honours in Social Sciences (although I'm not 100% sure I want to go there. Seems to have a rah reputation and poor accommodation)
    Keele for Politics and Computing
    Edinburgh and/or Aberdeen for some kind of Politics based degree
    Possibly throw in Computer Games Technology at Abertay. My second choice degree course and my mum reckons providing I get my grades they should accept me without looking at my personal statement and wondering why I'm nattering about politics (fingers crossed). Supposedly the Scottish unis don't really bother with personal statements much.
    My friend applied for SPS at Cambridge, but she's off to do sociology at Glasgow.

I think Durham is a great uni - 'tis my insurance, so I might be going there. I stayed overnight at an open day at my college (Trevelyan), and the accomodation was really impressive! And you're going to get rahs at any good uni - apparently you can avoid them by not applying to the Castle or Hatfield colleges.

Keele? Never heard of it :confused:

Yeh, Abertay will probably take you despite not having an appropriate personal statement. My friend got accepted for history at Edin and Aberdeen despite her PS being completely geared to medicine!

ReputationRep:
    Great! I think I might skip Aberdeen or Edinburgh then.
    Keele's not a big prestigious uni, but it's famous for doing lots of weird degree combinations, e.g. Neurosciene and music
    It just sounds kinda nice and only asks for 4 Bs and a C so much the same as the Scottish unis (although Abertay want 2 As and 2 Bs)
    I know a couple of guys at Durham who are nice, but I'm convinced they're really closet rahs . I think I would probably apply to Collingwood purely on the basis that they have en suites. Nothing in comparison to my Cambridge college choosing (Constantly ongoing as always).
    My English teacher told me I should go to Glasgow, but I've never particularly liked the uni. It does have a nice course (MA Social Sciences) but it seems much more of a commuter uni (and it doesn't have the same rep for drama! )

ReputationRep:
    Great! I think I might skip Aberdeen or Edinburgh then.
    Keele's not a big prestigious uni, but it's famous for doing lots of weird degree combinations, e.g. Neurosciene and music
    It just sounds kinda nice and only asks for 4 Bs and a C so much the same as the Scottish unis (although Abertay want 2 As and 2 Bs)
    I know a couple of guys at Durham who are nice, but I'm convinced they're really closet rahs . I think I would probably apply to Collingwood purely on the basis that they have en suites. Nothing in comparison to my Cambridge college choosing (Constantly ongoing as always).
    My English teacher told me I should go to Glasgow, but I've never particularly liked the uni. It does have a nice course (MA Social Sciences) but it seems much more of a commuter uni (and it doesn't have the same rep for drama! )
    Lol, you grinned so many times in that post!

Yeh I almost applied to Collingwood, it looks nice

I know what you mean about Glasgow - I just didn't like the look of it. I only applied to one Scottish uni, St Ands. I just didn't want to stay in Edinburgh!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a grinning mood
    I quite like Edinburgh as a city History shopping and drama . But I'll admit it's not where I want to go to uni. Too many people I know going there
    So what made you choose Trevs then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a grinning mood
    I quite like Edinburgh as a city History shopping and drama . But I'll admit it's not where I want to go to uni. Too many people I know going there
    So what made you choose Trevs then?
    Edinburgh is a fantastic city

I chose Trevs because a friend of a friend went there and said it was really nice. Also the applications to acceptances ratio was fairly low, and it has it's own cinema!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh fancy . All my friends at Cam and Durham want me to go to their colleges (actually there's one exception who can't make up his mind where to recommend, and I'm probably going to apply to his college )

ReputationRep:
    Oooh fancy . All my friends at Cam and Durham want me to go to their colleges (actually there's one exception who can't make up his mind where to recommend, and I'm probably going to apply to his college )
    Decisions, decisions...

Just think, in 3 months time you will have sent off your application. Have you done a first draft of your PS?

ReputationRep:
    No! I've tried but not got anywhere {cries}

Anyway I've got to go back to work now Cya later

ReputationRep:
    No! I've tried but not got anywhere {cries}

Anyway I've got to go back to work now Cya later
    Be sure to post it when you're done with the first draft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellsbells)

I know what you mean about Glasgow - I just didn't like the look of it.

Somehow, I don't mind it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kid A)
    Somehow, I don't mind it
    Ah, I think I didn't give it a fair chance because of the Edinburgh/Glasgow rivalry. But mainly because I don't like the structure of courses at Scottish unis :rolleyes:

Is that where you're headed?

ReputationRep:
    And here are some of the friendly and lively folk who will greet you when you arrive!

( Courteousy of www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk )
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Hmmm... I can't say I think that's a desperately good idea. To my mind the cost of studying outside of Scotland was only offset by the reputation of Cambridge. Of course, it's your decision to make but five of my six places were given up to Scottish universities and courses.
    Well for me studying in England works out cheaper: as it is only three years the living expenses (which constitute the greatest part of expenses) are far lower, offsetting the higher tuition fees. This is exaggerated by the fact that moving from Edinburgh to any non-London Uni would mean a lower cost of living! Of course it is a completely different ballgame if I get in to UCL...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    And here are some of the friendly and lively folk who will greet you when you arrive!

( Courteousy of www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk )

Only if you get off at Cessnock instead of Kelvinhall. In which case, you're screwed.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.