Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    i do wish you'd stop turning me on with all of that dirty talk fluffy
    She's taken!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Ok, so what did you discover?
    [deleted anyway! Got 'the fear'. Will post it at the start of August, as will have submitted final paper by then, if you are still interested!]

Not sure how much of this I should have posted as still have one paper more I want to get out of this.

Post 'Aye' without quoting when you've read this, then I will delete it

This post will self destruct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    [deleted anyway! Got 'the fear'. Will post it at the start of August, as will have submitted final paper by then, if you are still interested!]

Not sure how much of this I should have posted as still have one paper more I want to get out of this.

Post 'Aye' without quoting when you've read this, then I will delete it

This post will self destruct
    Ooh do repost, do!! I'm genuinely fascinated *may have found true calling*

ReputationRep:
    i'd be careful what you post on here *licks envelope containing hypothesis into why Sty1 controls Pku70* :cool:

now it's case of who's gonna make the journals first

ReputationRep:
    i'd be careful what you post on here *licks envelope containing hypothesis into why Sty1 controls Pku70* :cool:

now it's case of who's gonna make the journals first
    Watch it1 or it might not be just Trisha you'll need to look out for

ReputationRep:
    Watch it1 or it might not be just Trisha you'll need to look out for
    i suppose i could overlook the academia on the condition you at least pretend to find biochemistry hard in your first year at barts, hehe

in a completely unrelated issue, i just watched that panorama programme on the NHS and i think it has ignited the left-wing 'health care for all' fire inside me...hmmm..it sometimes becomes easy to forget why we're doing medicine in the first place (yes, i am aware that sounded like a cheesy line which could pass for a med school interview)

ReputationRep:
    i suppose i could overlook the academia on the condition you at least pretend to find biochemistry hard in your first year at barts, hehe

in a completely unrelated issue, i just watched that panorama programme on the NHS and i think it has ignited the left-wing 'health care for all' fire inside me...hmmm..it sometimes becomes easy to forget why we're doing medicine in the first place (yes, i am aware that sounded like a cheesy line which could pass for a med school interview)
    Things like the krebs cycle and other metabolic stuff has long departed from my full recall memory! I wonder if Hans passed on the full knowlege of the Krebs Cycle to his son, or if John is only ofey with Badgers and TB?!

I bet you were the cheesemeister at interview (says she who coo-ed 'I'm just glad to be here', when asked if I was pissed of at having to go to The Royal London for interview when I live a minutes walk from St Barts!)

ReputationRep:
    Things like the krebs cycle and other metabolic stuff has long departed from my full recall memory! I wonder if Hans passed on the full knowlege of the Krebs Cycle to his son, or if John is only ofey with Badgers and TB?!

I bet you were the cheesemeister at interview (says she who coo-ed 'I'm just glad to be here', when asked if I was pissed of at having to go to The Royal London for interview when I live a minutes walk from St Barts!)
    lol, we once went on a pub-crawl aptly named 'the krebs cycle'...we had to collect an enzyme at each bar and do the bars in the right order (the enzyme was the collection of shots, obviously). i now cringe at the thought, but all's fun where alcohol is involved!

and yes, i love interviews and vivas for some strange reason. there are always easy ways to disguise lack of knowledge (and not giving them a chance to talk also helps!). coincidentally, my uncle was on the admissions board at Barts and i thought it would be unethical to apply (yeah right, i just didn't fancy london prices!)

ReputationRep:
    lol, we once went on a pub-crawl aptly named 'the krebs cycle'...we had to collect an enzyme at each bar and do the bars in the right order (the enzyme was the collection of shots, obviously). i now cringe at the thought, but all's fun where alcohol is involved!
    Sir John is my Cheif Exec at work (well work's cheif exec - I haven't appointed a CE of Fluffy... ... yet !). He lives fairly near me, and I think he may think I stalked him home a few moths back! Not my fault we left together and he lives on my route home! He ho!

By the way - that is painfully bad It's only redemtion is the 'pub golf' style in which it sounds like it was conducted

and yes, i love interviews and vivas for some strange reason. there are always easy ways to disguise lack of knowledge (and not giving them a chance to talk also helps!). coincidentally, my uncle was on the admissions board at Barts and i thought it would be unethical to apply (yeah right, i just didn't fancy london prices!)
    I used to think I loved vivas... until my D.Phil one. 6.5 hours on (unbroken) pure unadulterated hell

Ironically, as my other half had to relocate to dinium, and we are joined at the hip (grrr ), London was really the only place I could afford, if we were going to buy our own place (which we did). I could have gone to Soton last year, but would have meant no money for own place as couldn't afford mortgage plus rent. I definitely think I made the right choice now.

ReputationRep:
    Ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piranha85)
    Hi!

Anyone know any good biochemistry related books to limber me up for this October?

Also, anyone else doing biochemistry....
    What do you hope to do with your degree?
    What sort of research areas would you like to go in to?
    Does industrial or academic research appeal to you more?

Cat x
    Hmm, maybe I should buy this Stryer book...?

I got a reading list of 10 books from Oxford - I can tell you the whole list if you like. At the moment I'm reading 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins. But it takes me so long to read popular science books - which is not a good sign for uni!

I'm not sure if I want to get into research - and even then I don't know whether I'd do industrial or academic. I've got several years before these decisions have to be made anyway What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellsbells)

I got a reading list of 10 books from Oxford - I can tell you the whole list if you like. At the moment I'm reading 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins. But it takes me so long to read popular science books - which is not a good sign for uni!

I'm not sure if I want to get into research - and even then I don't know whether I'd do industrial or academic. I've got several years before these decisions have to be made anyway What about you?
    Warning: very expensive book. If you can get it out of a library, do that first!! Especially if you've not seen it before: you need to know you like its style before you spend nearly £40 on the bloody thing.

(I'm grumpy: I bought it the other day, it was in none of the cheap shops and the cheapest place I could find it was Waterstone's at £36.99. (had to buy from shop as needed to use book tokens) Textbook publishers don't half extract the urine with their prices :mad: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Textbook publishers don't half extract the urine with their prices :mad: )
    Sorry, this is kinda irrelevant, but that made me laugh .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Warning: very expensive book. If you can get it out of a library, do that first!! Especially if you've not seen it before: you need to know you like its style before you spend nearly £40 on the bloody thing.

(I'm grumpy: I bought it the other day, it was in none of the cheap shops and the cheapest place I could find it was Waterstone's at £36.99. (had to buy from shop as needed to use book tokens) Textbook publishers don't half extract the urine with their prices :mad: )
    Yeah, that's good advice... and if I end up needing it for my course, I can buy it when the time comes.

ReputationRep:

Ah the selfish gene. My bio teacher advised me to read it when we were doing the evolution stuff. I found that stuff really tedious, and the book made it even worse. Richard 'I am always right. Do not try to fault me' Dawkins really pisses me off 4 some reason as well. He so anti-everything-except-evolution. oo and he has odd eyebrows

Yeah I'm just trying to get an idea of what sort of science career I could possible have. I've had a little experience working in industry for GSK. I really enjoyed it. But that was maybe because it helped me mature a bit and I foundnout what direction I wanted to go in. Scince then though, I've heard bad things about industry. I'd really like to try some academic research. it seems a lot more flexible.
    Anyone agree/disagree?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/natscitripos/reading.html try this it's CAM reading list (check out MCB subject for reevant books). Sorry if someone already posted I didnt read all posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piranha85)
    Yeah I'm just trying to get an idea of what sort of science career I could possible have. I've had a little experience working in industry for GSK. I really enjoyed it. But that was maybe because it helped me mature a bit and I foundnout what direction I wanted to go in. Scince then though, I've heard bad things about industry. I'd really like to try some academic research. it seems a lot more flexible.
    Anyone agree/disagree?
    It's paid a lot worse though...

(I think Richard Dawkins is a bit of an arrogant git too - but he has done a lot towards making the general public a bit more clued-up on and, importantly, interested in, scientific issues...)

ReputationRep:
    MadNatSci I am reading "Blind Wathmaker" and I agree his narrative voice alone is on the verge of making me stop reading it! The bats section was quite interesting!

ReputationRep:
    I am so glad people agree with me about Richard Dawkins.

(I think Richard Dawkins is a bit of an arrogant git too - but he has done a lot towards making the general public a bit more clued-up on and, importantly, interested in, scientific issues...)
    Hear hear! arrogant git. but the last bit is true as well. He has helped the cause.
    I saw one of his books the other day, Unweaving the Rainbow. It did look quite interesting I have to admit, and he seemed to be expressing the same points that I agree with. Might go buy it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, Richard Dawkind's isn't that bad... his writing is a bit hard to digest at times, but I find that with most popular science books. He's appearing in the Edinburgh Book Festival in a couple of weeks and I might be seeing him - I can find out how arrogant he is in person

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.