Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Share your life advice, quotes, stories and words to live by watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I've been going through a lot of self help material lately and while I'm sure it isn't for everyone I expect we all have a piece of valuable advice, a favourite quote or life story to share. So I figured I'd make a thread and we'll all learn from each other. To get things started, a few of my favourite quotes (no sources I'm afraid):

Never test the depth of the river with both feet (I remember this one was apparently from Warren Buffett but can't confirm it)

A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress

There's always more to do. Sometimes it's better to live with "good enough" instead of perfect

It's impossible to score without a goal

The future self sabotages the present self

Not a quote but one of my favourite principles, the 80:20 principle

As a side note if you've got any books on self development to recommend drop them here. Currently I'm going through a lot of books related to habits and making money. If you want to sum up key points or have any stories of how they've helped that's fine too. For example:

I'm currently reading Secrets of the Millionaire Mind. I've always enjoyed working with and making money but I realised how important it is to remember why I do it. I need to think of my goals for money, not be controlled by fears such as not having enough money, being poor or others having high expectations of me.

Hopefully everyone else has something to share
    that first quote is one of warren Buffett's

now for a couple from my own list
    first another Buffett one
    'i will tell you how to become rich close the doors be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful'

a confucius
    choose a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life

and an anon one
    don't be afraid of being outnumbered, eagles fly alone whilst pigeons flock together

as for the books there are two I can advise reading outside of the average business spectrum but with very great links to the subject and they are
    business wisdom from a pawnbroker by Les gold
    and
    the life of an entrepreneur in 90 pages

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by OrionMusicNet)
    Book List:
    Accounting in a Nutshell
    The Wayseers
    Capitalism and Freedom
    The Eden Project - James Hollis
    The E-myth
    Overcoming 5 Dysfunctions of a Team
    The Lean Startup
    7 Strategies for Wealth and Happiness
    Rich Dad Poor Dad
    The Richest Man in Babylon
    Think and Grow Rich
    The Lessons of History
    Meditations
    A First Rate Madness
    Predictably Irrational
    Crucial Conversations
    How to Win Friends and Influence People
    Psycho Cybernetics
    Power vs Force
    The 33 Strategies of War
    The Art of Seduction
    How to Read a Book
    Choose Yourself
    Doing the Impossible
    The 4-Hour Workweek
    Outwitting the Devil
    Law of Success
    Mastery - Robert Greene
    The 48 Laws of Power

I won't pretend I have read all of these books, but I do plan to haha. If anyone wants the PDFs for these books, I can send a link
    Wow, a super comprehensive list. Thanks!

I've got a copy of Think and Grow Rich, heard good things about it but not got round to reading it yet.

I've read through bits of How to Win Friends and Influence People, not read the entire thing front to back though.

Seen a few others that are on your list but not invested in them yet. Only one I have read completely is The 4-Hour Work Week. Can't recommend that one enough for anyone looking to improve themselves. Lots of practical advice for a huge variety of people. And learning the skills now sets you up better for later life.

I'd also appreciate a link to the books. I don't personally support free downloads when it takes away from the authors but I also dislike spending money on books I'm not going to benefit from.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    The last one you could kind of debate but :dontknow:

The other thing I would say, and it is rather oddly specific, is that I dunno.. if you're a guy and you've never taken an interest in football (or a girl, whatevs) but don't actively hate it then I'd say ya know.. go down to a match and see what it's like. I'm not claiming to be an expert but it surprised me how much I actually liked it when I first went to see a match and I dunno.. it's something to do in life, ya know.
    Not gonna claim I said the last quote but I think I've said something similar and I've seen variations on it. Loneliness is not about being alone. It's about feeling alone. Loneliness is when you feel nobody cares.

I also fully support the other part I quoted. I think it's sort of along the lines of getting out of your comfort zone but in a more comfortable way. Don't pick something you aren't comfortable with. Just pick something you don't actively like or dislike.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jazzy97)
    This is an amazing thread, subbed. I love working on myself and self help but do it with articles, not books just yet.

I heard that '7 habits of highly effective people' and 'how to win friends and influence people' are good books so check em out.

I always live by my own quote "Smile! And the world will smile back at you "

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, I've been doing this for a while so I'm not really sure why I didn't start a thread sooner.

Articles are a much cheaper way of doing it and offer a lot more freedom. I'm starting to run out of bookshelves and have a pile of books to read that's far too high. At least with an article you can take the key ideas and condense them down. If something interests you then you can go research it more.

Super simple quote but also super important.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Platopus)
    If it's easy, it's not worth doing.
    This is the first one I've seen that I could have a real debate over. I totally understand what you're aiming for with this and would reply with:

"Everything is hard before it is easy"

Sometimes the easy things are worth doing but they're only easy now because you worked on them. They might've been hard once but the actual act of doing made them easy. It didn't diminish their worth though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Wow, a super comprehensive list. Thanks!

I've got a copy of Think and Grow Rich, heard good things about it but not got round to reading it yet.

I've read through bits of How to Win Friends and Influence People, not read the entire thing front to back though.

Seen a few others that are on your list but not invested in them yet. Only one I have read completely is The 4-Hour Work Week. Can't recommend that one enough for anyone looking to improve themselves. Lots of practical advice for a huge variety of people. And learning the skills now sets you up better for later life.

I'd also appreciate a link to the books. I don't personally support free downloads when it takes away from the authors but I also dislike spending money on books I'm not going to benefit from.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/p8...rauf/Books.rar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I've been going through a lot of self help material lately and while I'm sure it isn't for everyone I expect we all have a piece of valuable advice, a favourite quote or life story to share. So I figured I'd make a thread and we'll all learn from each other. To get things started, a few of my favourite quotes (no sources I'm afraid):

Never test the depth of the river with both feet (I remember this one was apparently from Warren Buffett but can't confirm it)

A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress

There's always more to do. Sometimes it's better to live with "good enough" instead of perfect

It's impossible to score without a goal

The future self sabotages the present self

Not a quote but one of my favourite principles, the 80:20 principle

As a side note if you've got any books on self development to recommend drop them here. Currently I'm going through a lot of books related to habits and making money. If you want to sum up key points or have any stories of how they've helped that's fine too. For example:

I'm currently reading Secrets of the Millionaire Mind. I've always enjoyed working with and making money but I realised how important it is to remember why I do it. I need to think of my goals for money, not be controlled by fears such as not having enough money, being poor or others having high expectations of me.

Hopefully everyone else has something to share
    Hi, what's the 80:20 principle? and what does the future self sabotaging the present self mean to you? Found that one particularly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    This is the first one I've seen that I could have a real debate over. I totally understand what you're aiming for with this and would reply with:

"Everything is hard before it is easy"

Sometimes the easy things are worth doing but they're only easy now because you worked on them. They might've been hard once but the actual act of doing made them easy. It didn't diminish their worth though.
    "Everything is hard before it is easy" - so simple but I really needed to hear that today, thank you

"Winners are too busy to be sad
    too positive to be doubtful
    too optimistic to be fearful
    and too determied to be defeated"

*I like this quote so much

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Por7y_l3j-M
    Really good video from Jim Rohn (the guy has passed away now).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RosieGirl)
    Hi, what's the 80:20 principle? and what does the future self sabotaging the present self mean to you? Found that one particularly interesting.
    Basically that everything can be boiled down into an 80:20 ratio. For example look at a business.

20% of your products or customers could be bringing in 80% of your revenue. Therefore you'd want to focus on making that 20% better because it accounts for so much.

Take the common idea that we're most like the 5 people we spend time with. Maybe we spend real time with 25 people (that is 25 close friends and family). Of those 25, 5 have an impact. That's 20%. And that 20% of people are affecting us massively (resulting in 80% of our behaviours, thoughts, etc.). The numbers are a little flaky with this one because I made it up and it's quite specific.

Maybe you have lots of clothes in your wardrobe. But of those clothes you only wear a few of them all the time. So 20% of your clothes (the ones you like most) are worn 80% of the time.

In pretty much anything you can boil the key ideas down to 20:80

Another name for it is the Pareto law if you wanted to look into it further.

As for the future self sabotaging the present self, it means a focus on the future or something about the future will sabotage who you are now. I tried to find the exact book where I read this but to no avail.

Basically (and I'm going off memory here) you have good intentions now but in the future something can upset that. Let's say your on a diet. Right now you've got the motivation not to eat a packet of crisps. But in the future that motivation might be more difficult to muster. Your fine now but your future self (who may lack motivation and willpower to continue) can ruin it for you.

The general idea is about fixing how the future self will sabotage you. So keeping with the diet idea, your future self can sabotage you by eating crisps, or cake. The way around that is to remove the crisps and cake from your house now. Your future self can't eat it if it isn't there.

One of my favourite examples (and one I actually tried this morning) is waking up early. It's easy to go to bed and say "I'll set my alarm for 6am and get up early tomorrow". But then the morning rolls around, you hit snooze and doze back off. Your future self sabotaged the present (you hit snooze instead of getting up). So to get around this maybe you move the clock somewhere that forces you to get out of bed.

Maybe you need to revise but you'll get distracted by your phone. So you turn your phone off now and put it out of sight so that later it won't distract you.

Whenever you're trying to make a major change, develop a habit, or whatever you need to identify ways your future self might stop you. You then do something about that which stops you from sabotaging yourself.

Hope I've explained that in a way you can understand.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RosieGirl)
    "Everything is hard before it is easy" - so simple but I really needed to hear that today, thank you
    It's really straightforward but holds so much power. We look at people who are doing well, see how easy they're doing something and end up comparing ourselves. Or we lose the motivation because something just isn't that easy.

But the whole idea is that practice is what makes these things easy. As kids we'd learn to walk, talk, etc. It might not have been easy then but we persevere and it becomes easy. So easy we don't even think about it.

Another one that sort of goes hand in hand:

"No action means no result"

If we aren't willing to work for something we won't achieve and it'll never become easy or second nature.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    For me it's living life while you can whilst remembering that preparedness is key.

ReputationRep:
    Fear is simply false evidence appearing real

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screenshot_20160813-114830.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  419.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screenshot_20160813-114744.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  152.4 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    "Since I myself never wish to suffer and always want to be happy, I must abandon and purify my non-virtuous actions and sincerely perform virtuous actions."

"If you see someone without a smile, give 'em yours"

ReputationRep:
    Simply, don't let other people dictate your actions and opinions so strongly. Only your parents should, because they're the only one you can almost be certain that they're trying to do good for you. Everyone else in the world has agendas, so stick to your own.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.