Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chihiro95)
    Fine. maybe I'm barking up the tree in terms of what I'd be suing for but I reckon it's still worth it, if I can't get student finance to accept a compelling reasons letter, to do something about it.

If it's for sexual harassment, failing to create a diverse and safe environement as per their promises, whatever it is... I will find one, and I will push to have something done as this is unacceptable.

Free advice will probably be better than asking on here.
    If you can get dispensation from student finance to fund another degree then it's worth a try. Your other option is to use the remaining 2 years funding to do a foundation degree. However you need to be realistic if applying for Computer Science or Engineering related courses, they simply don't attract many female applicants and it will be the same when you go on to work once qualified.

With regards to a diverse environment a uni can't make more women apply for a course.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly that's really sad that you went through that.

If you want to pay lots of money over many years just to sue them, go ahead. You probably won't win though because they'll say you should've done your research and so on. Be realistic about this, they have lots of money to spend on a legal defense and they've got lots of time to mess you around too.

I'd recommend that you simply switch courses if it's affected you this much. If your university won't let you change your course then just go to a different university. Lots of them will take you.

Student Finance will give you a maximum of 4 years funding for an undergraduate degree (you only get one shot at an undergraduate degree now unless you want to do a second degree from the NHS like nursing). So you've only used up one year and that basically means you can do another 3 year degree if you want to somewhere else or another course at that university with more girls there. DON'T apply through Student Finance for a second year for that course if you want to switch, because even if you only go to a little of that year at your current university and in that course Student Finance classes that as a full year, even if they only pay out some of the money.

Just research first and go visit the department of the university that you want to go to, preferably try to book a visit on a non-open day because you'll get to see what the people there are really like instead of them just showing you want they want to show you.

If the environment is affecting you that much it's probably not worth pursuing it there. It sounds like it's just going to be hard in the second and third years too if you feel that you need to take a year out.

Good luck and don't worry about this, you'll look back at some point when you're doing a new course somewhere and it'll just be like a bad dream

EDIT: I saw that you said that you might be starting year 2 next month, I'd recommend contacting Student Finance and stopping that before they pay out any money. Once they do you'll only have 2 years left for student loan funding, so if you're sure that you don't want to go back there either change it to a different course at another university or ask them to stop it now and make sure that you call them too to make them understand that no money was paid out and you didn't go there so you're still entitled to 3 more years of funding.

If you can't get the full 3 year funding then try applying for a degree from the NHS, you'll have a good career and pretty much be guaranteed a job at the end of it when you finish if you've done well and you've done well in the modules and in the in the placements too (they're part of the course).
    These degrees used to be funded by the NHS but they've now switched over to student loans but they exempt from the same rules that other degrees have (ELQ) so you'll have full funding.
    You could do Pharmacy, Nursing, Medicine, Radiography, Operating Department Practice, etc. There's lots of other good choices

ReputationRep:
    The more I read what the OP has to say, the less sympathy I have for her.

In the space of just 20 odd posts, it's gone from "do you think I have grounds to sue?" to "I definitely have grounds to sue, and I should be getting free legal advice"

Personally, I think that OP should take some time to ponder the absurdity of some of her assertions, and some of the things she avers. My fear is that this is unlikely as she has entrenched herself into a position of victimhood.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Chihiro95)
    Dude, have you heard of pro bono? Free legal advice?

Plenty floating around, I promise that.

I shall just have to clearly explain what happened, why I am unhappy (sexual harassment as well as being misinformed, not for want of trying) and see what they say.

Thanks for the advice, and the CPR tip. That might solve my worries as I only want to do another degree/be away from that horrid environment.
    Yes I have done a conderierable amount in the past. Unil someone interviews you and looks at the rules, then they cant say either way. I can appreciate you had a poor time, vut i'm not seeing wht the Uni are to blame for a course that was obviously going to have a high % of males.

You seem to know what you are doing, so will leave you to it.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I don't think you should sue the university, I don't think you would win and it would waste your money.

You could apply for compelling personal reasons, I'm not sure how likely this would be to succeed I think it would but I am not sure, you can ask if you have a case here 'http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910'

I really think you should of researched your course more, it seems you didn't do enough.

It seems that you are demanding that in the name of diversity your uni should accept more females despite the fact that they are already 35% more likely to go to uni anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Sexual harrassment is taken seriously by lawyers and universities alike. I think you have a reasonable stance and I would encourage you to get professionL legal advice. You can often get free consultations (in person or over the phone) from major law firms. Call up and email and maybe go see your local Citizen's Advice Bureau for help.
    The situation clearly affected you badly, and some clarification from your university at the start coulf have prevented that. You crrtainly have a leg to stand on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You're wasting your time in regards to the ratio thing. I've done various computing courses over the years. I knew I'd be one of a few girls there.

You do need to take up the sexual harrassment issues with the uni. You should have a handbook which explains the procedure for bullying, etc?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sexual harassment, okay, you need to speak to the university and report the people involved.

As for the other part, suing is too extreme and anything that you've said is a very weak argument. This is not the universities fault and more of you being rather unfortunate to have a terrible group of people in your classes. I say this because I was in your position once, after a terrible first year experience, I was faced with the decision to change universities. I'm glad I didn't because it would have been a bad decision and I probably would not have got a first.

I know what it's like because I did Computer Science and there's hardly any girls. But you need to understand that this kind of course is mainly taken by guys and if I remember correctly, there were only 1 or 2 girls out of 60 guys so what you said is completely normal.

So just deal with it, get your degree and move on. Sorry it's harsh but you won't win if you sue them and you should rather put your efforts in your studies. Computer Science is no walkover but you can definitely do it by yourself, you don't need those guys to give you a tough time.

ReputationRep:
    Arrange a session of free legal advice regarding your idea to sue the university. You will be informed by a legal professional that you do not have a valid case and then you will be able to set the idea aside and move forward.

You mention having reported to the university your depression and how it affected your ability to complete coursework. Have you reported any incidents of harassment? That needs doing with details of names, dates and particular circumstances.

Your next steps should include preparing strategies to maintain mental wellness. How can you prepare yourself for environments that are not as diverse as you would like? What alternative avenues are available for you to build a core group of likeminded friends?

University is very different from school. Independence can be a culture shock. Focus on rising to that challenge rather than remaining angry about your university not informing you of unequal gender ratios on this course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You're wasting your time in regards to the ratio thing. I've done various computing courses over the years. I knew I'd be one of a few girls there.

You do need to take up the sexual harrassment issues with the uni. You should have a handbook which explains the procedure for bullying, etc?
    This. The harassment is an issue the uni should deal with which they can only do if they know about it. The ratio, less so. Yes, the uni should be looking at equality as a whole, including if possible doing their part to help with the image of the subject and encouraging interested school age girls not to be put off by that, but that doesn't mean each course has to be balanced every year. Particularly since (and I could be wrong) it sounds like you are doing a less common dual degree which I'd imagine had a very small cohort anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hudamh)
    Sexual harrassment is taken seriously by lawyers and universities alike. I think you have a reasonable stance and I would encourage you to get professionL legal advice. You can often get free consultations (in person or over the phone) from major law firms. Call up and email and maybe go see your local Citizen's Advice Bureau for help.
    The situation clearly affected you badly, and some clarification from your university at the start coulf have prevented that. You crrtainly have a leg to stand on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just lol.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think you have a case. STEM subjects have notoriously bad uptake rates for women, and that's common knowledge.
    What would the ratio have been had you not applied? It would have been an entirely male course.
    Not wanting to stereotype, but the folks I know who went on to do computing sound exactly like the two guys you described, and if I'm honest, I'm surprised it was only two.

I think you need to realise that actually, you should have known what you were applying for rather than expecting the uni to go "oh, you know you'll likely be the only girl on that course". That's not their responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    Ask Chanty binx for help

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GVuK44kWgxk

It's not misrepresentation, males and females are treated equally and are simply assessed based on potential, that's how people get accepted into university. So really, you just happened to be the only girl who had what the admission tutors were looking for.

Picking an equal balance of genders over student potential would be misrepresentation and the exact opposite of gender equality

ReputationRep:
    Take them on Judge Rinder, it's probably as near to an actual case as you have.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you won no university would want you as you would end up in the news and have a reputation.

ReputationRep:
    What a ridiculous proposition. You can't just go suing the university because you feel bad, still less because there aren't any other girls on your course.

Once you realised it was a problem, incidents of sexual harassment should have been systematically reported to the proper authority at the university who could then investigate each incident and spot the pattern as part of their duty of care, if such is outlined in university guidelines/constitution. There is negligence there if they don't do it which even in theory would be the only route to successfully suing them. Such a paper trail could also be shown to Student Finance to get them to waive the funding issue.

If the university does not act then incidents of sexual harassment should of course be reported to the police.
    • Very Important Poster

Its still unclear what happened. Your post is very vague.

If there was actual sexual harassment, then you needed to have made a complaint to the Uni using the official procedures and with ebidence.
    You do not say if you have such evidence or whether sich events took place.

It would be the unis response as to how they treated your complaints to which they would be held accountable, either through their complaints procedure or the OA.

This idea about diversity and blaming the Uni because the course didnt have enough females, will go nowhere. Plenty of courses just attract more males. Its something you could have checked out yourself beforehand. You need specific instances of where the Uni broke policies procedures or obligations if you intend to sue them.

Your case, if you even have one and based on the very little you have said, sounds unclear and lacks any specific instances to which you can say the Uni should be held liable. Other than the methods previously stated, then you will be on a loser. Not even a pro bono lawyer is going to be interested. Universities do not roll over in paying back fees. Complain by all means, but otherwise move on.

If your course was that bad you should have complained against specific people at the time or followed the complaint procedures at the time with harassment claims or just left the course. You dont suggest you did any of that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why the class being mostly male is a case for sexual harassment? Those creepy guys may have spooked you and made you feel uncomfortable but I guarantee from the way they sound if you stood your ground and told them to stuff it, they would have backed off. Failing that tell a staff member.

Sure the professor could have said "you're the only female applicant so far" but you still would have no idea if there would be any other girls as I'm sure the professor did not know until it was closer to the starting date.

It's an industry/subject dominated by the male gender and you were foolish to not expect this going into it. Unis cannot just magic up more female applicants, females in subjects like engineering and computer science usually only have 1 or 2 female students. It sucks but it is how it is, I would expect to be one of the only (if not the only) male students on a child development course.

If you struggled to stay in a room full of males anyway then I do not understand why you'd knowingly subject yourself to being in a room full of men. Maybe try a home Uni course if you still like the subject but do not want to risk the same situation?

Not sure on the solution tbh as it's a tough situation but I do not think you have grounds to sue without a good chance it'll backfire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squiddroon)
    If you struggled to stay in a room full of males anyway then I do not understand why you'd knowingly subject yourself to being in a room full of men. Maybe try a home Uni course if you still like the subject but do not want to risk the same situation?
    This then happens again when you get to work. So what you're actually saying is consider a different career path.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.