• PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    They already have. Haven't you seen the constant reports about firms being too elitist?

Read the chambersstudent report too - only proves the point.

That is not to say that students from what are considered average unis cannot succeed - it means it's harder for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry I'm still not convinced of what you're on about. Bar Oxbridge, most unis in the UK are 'average' unless you're somewhere terrible in which case you will struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Sorry I'm still not convinced of what you're on about. Bar Oxbridge, most unis in the UK are 'average' unless you're somewhere terrible in which case you will struggle.
    Whatever floats your boat I guess... not gonna bother any more.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Reputation means lots of different things depending on who you ask and what is being considered. An employer isn't going to look at your uni and go yes or no just based on that. Course content, grades and experience are what'll make or break your career.
    Come on, can you seriously look me in the eye and tell me a degree from Sheffield Hallam is the same as a degree from the University of Manchester?

I'm sorry, but rankings and prestige are there for a reason. Companies specifically hold job fairs and recruit exclusively from top universities for a reason. Stop trying to delude people, prestige does matter in life.

ReputationRep:
    Having found out a little more about this situation, university rankings are way down the list of things that will be factored in, especially when the university they did attend is well respected anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by prospective_grad)
    Come on, can you seriously look me in the eye and tell me a degree from Sheffield Hallam is the same as a degree from the University of Manchester?

I'm sorry, but rankings and prestige are there for a reason. Companies specifically hold job fairs and recruit exclusively from top universities for a reason. Stop trying to delude people, prestige does matter in life.
    If there were two people with the same grades, same work experience who had both studied the same number of relevant modules they would both get interviewed yes.

ReputationRep:
    If there were two people with the same grades, same work experience who had both studied the same number of relevant modules they would both get interviewed yes.
    I think it's important for me to be frank about this. Ideally, yes that would be the situation, and if they had two interview slots that would likely to be the outcome. However, if they were only interviewing one candidate and their applications were identical in every way possible, the person as the higher rated uni is likely to be selected.

The reality is though applications are not identical. Even candidates with identical work experience, academics etc will have different applications. How they are written, extra curriculars, motivation etc means it is highly unlikely a recruiter will ever have to make a decision based on where someone studied. Something else (or a mixture of other factors) is far more likely to influence the decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Agreed There are so many ifs and buts for that kind of situation to arise.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Scruffyjoe)
    Hi!
    Yes I am working as a lawyer in my country. Even though I have done my undergrad (LLb) from uk it's accepted here (I live in a commonwealth country)
    My main goal right now is to be able to find a job in the uk - preferably in a commercial firm or chamber set (I have done the bptc)

But my university ranking/repute might be a hindrance.
    Is it advisable to go for the masters program in conflict resolution?
    Why are you so insecure about your university?

You have experience as a lawyer and hopefully skills, leverage those instead of worrying about silly things like prestige. Networking is also a great way to break into the areas you're interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Maybe ten at most, then it ceases to matter. Its not a given that the person from SH would lose out automatically from UoM. The prestige factor is much further down the scale.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I think it's important for me to be frank about this. Ideally, yes that would be the situation, and if they had two interview slots that would likely to be the outcome. However, if they were only interviewing one candidate and their applications were identical in every way possible, the person as the higher rated uni is likely to be selected.

The reality is though applications are not identical. Even candidates with identical work experience, academics etc will have different applications. How they are written, extra curriculars, motivation etc means it is highly unlikely a recruiter will ever have to make a decision based on where someone studied. Something else (or a mixture of other factors) is far more likely to influence the decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Such a balanced accurate view. JSP did you find out whether the OP has a right to work in the UK? He was very economical with details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Such a balanced accurate view. JSP did you find out whether the OP has a right to work in the UK? He was very economical with details.
    Not whether they have the right to work in the UK, but they have a pretty niche set of circumstances which means giving generic advice (based on limited information given) is probably not helpful.

They need to try and find people with a similar background to themselves and see how they managed to transfer their career. That or find people with experience in recruiting those type of people to get their opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Maybe someone from Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Warwick/Bristol/Durham/kings or Nottingham wouldn't compare to someone from Sheffield Hallam but university of Manchester and Sheffield Hallam can easily be slotted against each other in terms of repute.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe someone from Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Warwick/Bristol/Durham/kings or Nottingham wouldn't compare to someone from Sheffield Hallam but university of Manchester and Sheffield Hallam can easily be slotted against each other in terms of repute.
    Not really... There's quite a big difference in reputation between those two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Why are you so insecure about your university?

You have experience as a lawyer and hopefully skills, leverage those instead of worrying about silly things like prestige. Networking is also a great way to break into the areas you're interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am unfortunately very insecure abou the reputation of my university. I almost went to kings college and then I decided to make this stupid decision (of attending UoM) and now I regret it. I wish I could undo it. I was so stupid in a levels that I didn't know which universities were the "good" ones and which weren't and I just applied on a whim without putting thought into my university list. I wish I had been more proactive and had done my research and gone to kings instead.

It's been a good 8 years since I applied and finished a levels but I still have not been able to get over this and I don't think I ever will.

ReputationRep:
    I am unfortunately very insecure abou the reputation of my university. I almost went to kings college and then I decided to make this stupid decision (of attending UoM) and now I regret it. I wish I could undo it. I was so stupid in a levels that I didn't know which universities were the "good" ones and which weren't and I just applied on a whim without putting thought into my university list. I wish I had been more proactive and had done my research and gone to kings instead.

It's been a good 8 years since I applied and finished a levels but I still have not been able to get over this and I don't think I ever will.
    That's being a bit over paranoid. There isn't a huge difference between KCL or Manchester in terms of reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

1. Stop being dumb, Kings wouldn't have made up for your attitude
    2. A uni on your CV will not make up for lack of preparation, initiative, positive attitude on your part
    3. Get over the university thing and find a way to achieve your goals without coming across as bitter and insecure
    4. Stop making posts about this issue everywhere and start working towards your goals
    5. Don't blame a perfectly strong university for your shortcomings

I'm sorry but you're not getting sympathy from me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    1. Stop being dumb, Kings wouldn't have made up for your attitude
    2. A uni on your CV will not make up for lack of preparation, initiative, positive attitude on your part
    3. Get over the university thing and find a way to achieve your goals without coming across as bitter and insecure
    4. Stop making posts about this issue everywhere and start working towards your goals
    5. Don't blame a perfectly strong university for your shortcomings

I'm sorry but you're not getting sympathy from me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're right. I agree with everything that you have said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    That's being a bit over paranoid. There isn't a huge difference between KCL or Manchester in terms of reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sorry but that is just how I feel and have been made to feel. But I guess now there isn't much that can be done and I need to move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did send you a private message but in case your don't have time to read it I'll repeat some of the relevant stuff here.

1) are you suggesting that me working in a country outside of uk will be a disadvantage now when I apply for a job in the uk?

2) the only reason I want to do a masters in conflict resolution is because it's from an Ivy League university, would that help in anyway at all being on my cv?

3) do firms/chambers take people who are not resident in the uk or don't have a righ to work in the uk?

Thanks for your help and time.

ReputationRep:
    I did send you a private message but in case your don't have time to read it I'll repeat some of the relevant stuff here.

1) are you suggesting that me working in a country outside of uk will be a disadvantage now when I apply for a job in the uk?

2) the only reason I want to do a masters in conflict resolution is because it's from an Ivy League university, would that help in anyway at all being on my cv?

3) do firms/chambers take people who are not resident in the uk or don't have a righ to work in the uk?

Thanks for your help and time.
    1) it isn't a disadvantage but it is not going to be an advantage either. Too many people who qualify abroad think it's easy to get a qualified role in the UK.

It isn't - a lot of firms discount 2-3 years experience from non-UK qualified lawyers, mainly because the UK system requires a 2 year training contract before someone qualifies.

Your experience then has to be comparable to that of the U.K. to be in a good position. By that I mean you have to have worked with the same type of clients and the same type of complexity of cases/deals. Unless you have worked in a major financial centre like New York/Hong Kong (or more in your case an arbitration centre like Paris), you are far less likely to have comparable experience.

The other major difference is that you are not a UK qualified lawyer - you technically can't work in the UK as a lawyer on English law matters without it being signed off by an English qualified lawyer. Being dual qualified via the QLTS would eliminate that issue but would still not give you practical English law experience.

2) it would look impressive on your CV. However it's unlikely to help you get work in the US (you usually need a JD). It's not going to help with the above issues if you wanted to work in the UK either.

3) I can only say it from a law firm perspective rather than from chambers, but yes they do take non-EU trainees or NQs. Given what you have said about your experience, a training contract seems the best route for you rather than a qualified role and there are enough firms who will sponsor a tier 2 visa for you for that. But your issue is those firms are about to recruit for their 2019/2020 trainee intakes, plus there is going to be a big question on your application about your motivation for 1) being in the UK and 2) commercial law firm over chambers given you choose the BPTC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.