Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    If anything, this is the least Britain could to retaliate. You're making it sound like Britain declared war against Russia.
    And that would be a reaaally sensible common sense solution, wouldn't it. We're British, and we do things in moderation when it comes to foreign policy. This is extreme by British standards.

ReputationRep:
    If anything, this is the least Britain could to retaliate. You're making it sound like Britain declared war against Russia.
    Of course I’m not. I’m saying it will lead to an escalation of punitive measures, from both countries.

That’s why other members of the forum and the Six O’clock news are questioning it as the start of a new cold war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cage)
    And that would be a reaaally sensible common sense solution, wouldn't it. We're British, and we do things in moderation when it comes to foreign policy. This is extreme by British standards.
    And are then surprised when countries kidnap your soldiers and kill your legal residents at will.

(Original post by Micky666)
    Of course I’m not. I’m saying it will lead to an escalation of punitive measures, from both countries.

That’s why other members of the forum and the Six O’clock news are questioning it as the start of a new cold war.
    If something like this would spark off a Cold War, then the seeds were already ripe for it. If not this, it would be something else. And in reality, the only thing causing strains between Russo-British relations is Russia's increasing unwillingness to respect the interests of the countries it deals with as a result of its rising power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cage)
    We're British, and we do things in moderation when it comes to foreign policy. This is extreme by British standards.
    I agree. I'm unsure as to whether I support it particularly or not., but it's certainly unusual.

ReputationRep:
    And are then surprised when countries kidnap your soldiers and kill your legal residents at will.
    Indeed. If only British foreign policy was a bit more extreme. That way our soldiers and citizens could sleep easy in their beds - just like American soldiers and citizens.

ReputationRep:
    If not this, it would be something else.....And in reality, the only thing causing strains between Russo-British relations is Russia's increasing unwillingness to respect the interests of the countries it deals with as a result of its rising power.
    So what do you suggest we do?

Launch our nuclear missiles now, which will save us from the forthcoming headache.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Indeed. If only British foreign policy was a bit more extreme. That way our soldiers and citizens could sleep easy in their beds - just like American soldiers and citizens.
    Do you want to remind when a sovereign state dared to do either of the above to the US? Or what happened when a state tried to do that to Australia?

ReputationRep:

Launch our nuclear missiles now, which will save us from the forthcoming headache.
    Stop treating Russia as a friend, put more energy and resources into finding a way to become less dependent on Russian oil and gas (mainly the latter for now), persuade sympathetic countries to reduce their business interests in Russia, and put pressure on other countries to not buy Russian arms. This surge in Russian power is temporary. It can be waited out.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to remind when a sovereign state dared to do either of the above to the US? Or what happened when a state tried to do that to Australia?
    Oh yes. America finally woke up and belatedly joined WWII - three years late mind.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Oh yes. America finally woke up and belatedly joined WWII - three years late mind.:rolleyes:
    I thought we were actually talking about the present. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Stop treating Russia as a friend, put more energy and resources into finding a way to become less dependent on Russian oil and gas (mainly the latter for now), persuade sympathetic countries to reduce their business interests in Russia, and put pressure on other countries to not buy Russian arms. This surge in Russian power is temporary. It can be waited out.
    Or it could turn into a forty year stand-off.

ReputationRep:
    Or it could turn into a forty year stand-off.
    Why not just appoint Putin King of Britain and avoid that?

ReputationRep:
    Why not just appoint Putin King of Britain and avoid that?
    Tsar Vlad I would be better.

Seriously, though; the Russian state sponsored the murder of an innocent citizen under the Queen's Peace. Dismissing their ambassadors is the very least action we should do, and we should've done so a long time ago.

Libya kill two American servicemen, and the US bombs their capital; Russia kills a British citizen, and we can't even expel their ambassadors?

We seemed to survive for 45 years in the Cold War without resorting to that. You needn't be utterly servile or totally bellicose in your international relations; a stance of military strength combined with a resolution to resist violent pressure must prevail, over defeatism or ultra-belligerence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    I agree. I'm unsure as to whether I support it particularly or not., but it's certainly unusual.
    It's not unusual, expelling diplomats has long been a staple of diplomatic spats the world over. Russia itself expelled FIFTY US diplomats in 2001.

Back in the past we used to kick out Russian diplomats dozens at a time. 4 is nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cage)
    We're British, and we do things in moderation when it comes to foreign policy. This is extreme by British standards.
    It's really not, this is one of the most mundane gestures possible to make. We've kicked out diplomats from loads of countries in the past, often in far greater numbers.

ReputationRep:
    As Ezekiel rather eruditely (and hence to my shock) put it - it provides a great case for Nuclear. Whilst Russia have an increasing hold over energy to Western Europe, it's as good as having a lead around our necks, and hence does limit our ability to press what should be our advantage (that specifically being a much stronger relationship with the US).

Although, in contrast - Russia do have a similar point with Berezovsky, so chances are we will not get our way (even though, obviously, the point is different since there is no chance he would get a fair trial under putin).

ReputationRep:
    Well Russia are gonna do the same thing i hear, tit for tat.

ReputationRep:
    i think we should just forget it and let them have what they want. we have other things we should be paying attention to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich89)
    i think we should just forget it and let them have what they want. we have other things we should be paying attention to.
    Like countries killing people living in Britain?

ReputationRep:
    Like countries killing people living in Britain?
    Well - it's not like terrorism - if it's another country doing the killing it's got to be for a good reason

probably :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.