Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a male feminist more likely to date a more masculine woman? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Precisely and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Usually men have to learn the hard way before they go their own way. Men need concrete proof beyond all reasonable doubt - and even then the law is still heavily stacked against them. It's extremely rare for a female to get done for perverting the course of justice, wasting public time and resources etc.
    Not anything to do with the fact that false reports are rare then? (Less than 4% is fairly rare)

Are you suggesting that men (invariably so because men hold the majority of high powered positions) have devised a conspiracy to keep fellow men down and imprisoned via false reports of abuse?

What's the conviction rate? I mean with all this concrete proof men need to have to prevent them being falsely imprisoned, the conviction rate must be above 80%, right? Odd then that it's nowhere near 50 let alone 100. Similarly odd that this is also true for the number of cases which actually make it to court.

Also weird that a guy gets caught raping a woman, apprehended by 2 passers by and yet still given 6 months sentence because "he really is a good man, he's white and swims a bit"

Yep total conspiracy to keep men down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    Not anything to do with the fact that false reports are rare then? (Less than 4% is fairly rare)

Are you suggesting that men (invariably so because men hold the majority of high powered positions) have devised a conspiracy to keep fellow men down and imprisoned via false reports of abuse?

What's the conviction rate? I mean with all this concrete proof men need to have to prevent them being falsely imprisoned, the conviction rate must be above 80%, right? Odd then that it's nowhere near 50 let alone 100. Similarly odd that this is also true for the number of cases which actually make it to court.

Also weird that a guy gets caught raping a woman, apprehended by 2 passers by and yet still given 6 months sentence because "he really is a good man, he's white and swims a bit"

That 4% is from cases that they take to court and prove but some police forces openly say they won't prosecute false allegations, it should also be noted o]less than 6% are proven true so therefore there is 90% that should be discounted as it is unknown.

That person wasn't charged with rape so if you want to complain then it should be to the prosecutors not the courts who followed the rules based on the charges.

What about this case http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto...x-assault-case?

He was told to come over have sex then she complains about the sex takes him to court and the judge convicts him on the words of feminists not facts
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not gonna bother addressing this, you're free to search for the counter arguments elsewhere. It appears you don't seem to understand legal statistics, charges, convictions, rates etc.

I believe it's 'third-wave' feminists that hold the conspiracy theories with regards to 'the patriarchy'.

Again with these statistics, you aren't the first to repeat this BS without understanding the fallacies behind it, nor will you be the last.

Lol - utterly predictable. Good night.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Talking about things that are proven to be incorrect, lying about statistics and publishing articles about how men should be put in camps sounds like they want equality, 3rd wave feminism is about identity politics and by the logic they use the I am more privileged than the queen.

If you want equality then you want equality for all you don't just want things for one group, can you name me one right men have that women don't or can you explain how in a system that is meant to stop women progressing we have a female pm (A Tory pm so we know she got there on merit unlike the shortlists labour have that means someone can be a mp candidate based on genitals not merit)?
    The extremists don't make the ideology. And third wave feminism is about a host of modern issues. It doesn't matter that the phrase has been used by some to attack.

If you believe that one thing isn't equal to another then to want equality for all you must want things for the group you consider disadvantaged. The idea that feminists don't want equality because they don't campaign for men's right's issues is laughable. I presume you don't walk into cancer research centres handing out pamphlets about Alzheimer's disease.

Apparently, you think that laws on paper make up for sexual harassment, glass ceilings and pay gaps? Or the fact that a female PM (one of a grand total of 2) makes up for less than 10% of FTSE CEOs being women?

And by the way, there is solid reasoning and even scholarly research on how all-women shortlists work and benefit our politics.

http://mlkrook.org/pdf/pa_2016.pdf:
    "AWS women ask more parliamentary questions and speak more often in debates than other MPs"
    "the subgroup [of Labour MPs] that asks by far the most questions is women selected via AWS"
    "AWS women perform similarly to other MPs in terms of their rates of vote attendance, rebelliousness and replying to constituents"

ReputationRep:
    Actually the report i was referring to was a study conducted fairly recently which followed UK rape cases from report to whatever conclusion they had so that they actually had the stats to say the rate of false reporting versus the case being dropped for various other reasons. Someone withdrawing their statement doesn't mean they lied, the police having lack of evidence doesn't mean a rape didn't happen. Just in the same way that jury deciding that a rape didn't occur doesn't actually mean it didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Not gonna bother addressing this, you're free to search for the counter arguments elsewhere. It appears you don't seem to understand legal statistics, charges, convictions, rates etc.

I believe it's 'third-wave' feminists that hold the conspiracy theories with regards to 'the patriarchy'.

Again with these statistics, you aren't the first to repeat this BS without understanding the fallacies behind it, nor will you be the last.

Lol - utterly predictable. Good night.
    What exactly don't I understand about the stats? Please feel free to educate me.

I really do love how some people can make random claims with no reference to any substantiated evidence but a mere female who claims to be a feminist has to lay out all her credentials and prove that she can even understand the statistics she read.

Rather than waiting for the mansplain would it help to know the source is male? And, at the time, the most prominent prosecutor in the country..oh and he was the one who commissioned the study? Or do you need to see my academic credentials too?

ReputationRep:
    Yep definitely no reason for feminism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    The extremists don't make the ideology. And third wave feminism is about a host of modern issues. It doesn't matter that the phrase has been used by some to attack.

If you believe that one thing isn't equal to another then to want equality for all you must want things for the group you consider disadvantaged. The idea that feminists don't want equality because they don't campaign for men's right's issues is laughable. I presume you don't walk into cancer research centres handing out pamphlets about Alzheimer's disease.

Apparently, you think that laws on paper make up for sexual harassment, glass ceilings and pay gaps? Or the fact that a female PM (one of a grand total of 2) makes up for less than 10% of FTSE CEOs being women?

And by the way, there is solid reasoning and even scholarly research on how all-women shortlists work and benefit our politics.

http://mlkrook.org/pdf/pa_2016.pdf:
    "AWS women ask more parliamentary questions and speak more often in debates than other MPs"
    "the subgroup [of Labour MPs] that asks by far the most questions is women selected via AWS"
    "AWS women perform similarly to other MPs in terms of their rates of vote attendance, rebelliousness and replying to constituents"
    How many hours do women work compared to men? You have to be prepared to work almost none stop to make it to the top and in general most women prefer to take time off for family but it is good to see you care about equality of results not opportunity.

Sexual harassment happens that is why we have laws against it what should happen in exchange a promotion and pay rise because of it?

The pay gap as it is presented isn't real it has been disproven multiple times, it is true on average women earn more but they also tend to work less hours, take more holidays and go into lower paid professions. Here is a non 3rd wave feminist on the issue https://youtu.be/58arQIr882w and the ons state the wage gap they talk about say 'These figures do not show differences in rates of pay for comparable jobs, and are affected by, for example, the proportion of men and women in different occupations.' http://visual.ons.gov.uk/what-is-the-gender-pay-gap/

How many female leaders has labour had? The Tory's have left the same barriers yet women seem to reach the top in the tories infinitely more than labour, we need women in politics yes but we shouldn't be giving them roles just because they are women.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes we do not live in the 1950's anymore but the problem now is we live in a time where we have gone to the other extreme and that is just as bad.

In the 50's dv wasn't talked about or solved but now dv is talked about openly as a way to secure the kids.
    You think men are currently oppressed in the way that women were in the 1950s? You seriously think that?

ReputationRep:
    You think men are currently oppressed in the way that women were in the 1950s? You seriously think that?
    That is not what I said, we have gone to the other extreme where it is common knowledge that lies are told about dv to ensure child custody and the perception put across is that only women can be victims but that is not true yet the police tend to treat men as the aggressors in all situations.

You normally debate your position fairly rather than insinuating I mean something I have not said.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    How many hours do women work compared to men? You have to be prepared to work almost none stop to make it to the top and in general most women prefer to take time off for family but it is good to see you care about equality of results not opportunity.

Sexual harassment happens that is why we have laws against it what should happen in exchange a promotion and pay rise because of it?

The pay gap as it is presented isn't real it has been disproven multiple times, it is true on average women earn more but they also tend to work less hours, take more holidays and go into lower paid professions. Here is a non 3rd wave feminist on the issue https://youtu.be/58arQIr882w and the ons state the wage gap they talk about say 'These figures do not show differences in rates of pay for comparable jobs, and are affected by, for example, the proportion of men and women in different occupations.' http://visual.ons.gov.uk/what-is-the-gender-pay-gap/

How many female leaders has labour had? The Tory's have left the same barriers yet women seem to reach the top in the tories infinitely more than labour, we need women in politics yes but we shouldn't be giving them roles just because they are women.
    The pay gap is real. There are still prevalent stereotypes that make young women feel that certain careers and environments aren't for them. If they end up earning less because of that then it's still a pay gap. I consider that to be a difference in opportunity because you don't just need the door to be open, you need to believe that you can go through it.

There are laws against sexual harassment and yet it's still pervasive and widespread. Feminism draws attention to it because you need a cultural change as well as a legal one.

You're asking me how many Labour leaders have been women? Is that supposed to be some kind of cheap dig? How many did the Liberals have? 43% of Labour MPs are women (not that this is in any way relevant). All-women shortlists have been conclusively proven to put worthy, deserving candidates into the House. The fact that these people might not have got in otherwise shows gender discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    Common knowledge doesn't equal fact. It means that whatever belief someone wanted others to have, has managed to disperse among the community. Do you want to know why it's "common knowledge"? Because it is a myth perpetuated over and over in society and the media. There are some vindictive women in existence but "common knowledge" presumes all claims are false if made under various circumstances. It doesn't take into account that disclosures of abuse are most likely prompted by the removal of the abuser from the house
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That is not what I said, we have gone to the other extreme where it is common knowledge that lies are told about dv to ensure child custody and the perception put across is that only women can be victims but that is not true yet the police tend to treat men as the aggressors in all situations.

You normally debate your position fairly rather than insinuating I mean something I have not said.
    I asked you a fair question. You said that we had gone from the opposite extreme to the 1950s discrimination women faced. The logical inference isn't "it is common knowledge that lies are told about dv to ensure child custody and the perception put across is that only women can be victims".
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What exactly don't I understand about the stats? Please feel free to educate me.

I really do love how some people can make random claims with no reference to any substantiated evidence but a mere female who claims to be a feminist has to lay out all her credentials and prove that she can even understand the statistics she read.

Rather than waiting for the mansplain would it help to know the source is male? And, at the time, the most prominent prosecutor in the country..oh and he was the one who commissioned the study? Or do you need to see my academic credentials too?
    I haven't demanded anything of you, you provided no sources - I asked for none, nor did I inquire further on anything else in your post. You said enough for me to decide not to take your post seriously and thus not waste any lengthy time on it.

Good luck waiting for the 'mansplain', you're expecting things that aren't there. Predictable again. :rolleyes:

As for the rest of your questions, feel free to do whatever you want. Perhaps consider relaxing and quit playing the victim.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't demanded anything of you, you provided no sources - I asked for none, nor did I inquire further on anything else in your post. You said enough for me to decide not to take your post seriously and thus not waste any lengthy time on it.

Good luck waiting for the 'mansplain', you're expecting things that aren't there. Predictable again. :rolleyes:

As for the rest of your questions, feel free to do whatever you want. Perhaps consider relaxing and quit playing the victim.
    No you presumed and stated that I didn't know what I was talking about. Based on what exactly?

I should just relax..yeah not heard that before. Groundbreaking and totally unpredictable

ReputationRep:

Yea, because that's your job, isn't it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Yea, because that's your job, isn't it?
    Whatever makes you happy.

ReputationRep:
    The pay gap is real. There are still prevalent stereotypes that make young women feel that certain careers and environments aren't for them. If they end up earning less because of that then it's still a pay gap. I consider that to be a difference in opportunity because you don't just need the door to be open, you need to believe that you can go through it.

There are laws against sexual harassment and yet it's still pervasive and widespread. Feminism draws attention to it because you need a cultural change as well as a legal one.

You're asking me how many Labour leaders have been women? Is that supposed to be some kind of cheap dig? How many did the Liberals have? 43% of Labour MPs are women (not that this is in any way relevant). All-women shortlists have been conclusively proven to put worthy, deserving candidates into the House. The fact that these people might not have got in otherwise shows gender discrimination.
    There are stereotypes about everyone, if the door is open and they don't go through it then they can only blame themselves, there are 2 threads recently on this forum where people have tried to talk males out of going into their chosen career paths but they took the path as they were committed. The opportunity is there for everyone if they do not have the mental strength to take it that is on them.

If you want to talk about the reason why people might be scared to go through the door I would say it is a self fulfilling prophecy when people tell you that if you go through a door you will be abused then that isn't really helping people go through the door is it?

It exists it isn't widespread unless you keep extending the definition like the bbc poll did. The rape case I linked earlier the victim had previously been sexually assaulted by the 'victim' but it was ignored for reasons if they were said to a woman would of caused uproar. It exists but it isn't a cultural thing people who sexually harass people are not exactly at the top of society's most liked people.

It is a fair point, labour do not hold female MPs to the same standards of men for nomination and they don't reach the top, I would suggest there could be a reason for that link, whereas nobody misses out due to sexual discrimination when you actively openly discriminate.

It does not show that there is gender discrimination it shows that there is problems with the way labour MPs are selected I'm sure there are plenty of male deserving candidates that miss out but that could possibly be because of the clear discrimination labour enjoy.

Also in rl I do not class my self as lib dem, labour, Tory or any other party I will vote for the party I feel is best at that time rather than being loyal to a brand.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever makes you happy.
    If it makes you happy to come on here and cry about how terrible society and in particular the justice system is treating men, saying men are victims, and then tell others not to to "play the victim". If that's your thing, go for it.

But it shows anyone with half a brain and not blinded by bias, that you are full of it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No you presumed and stated that I didn't know what I was talking about. Based on what exactly?

I should just relax..yeah not heard that before. Groundbreaking and totally unpredictable
    Is this a circle game now? Re-read my initial response again. I haven't presumed anything, looks like I said something along the lines of 'it appears... seems'. Though you might have gotten hurt about calling BS.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.