Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    my excuse for having a beautiful month old car *it still smells new* is that it is technically my mums and i did drive her saxo before that and lost my confidence when some ******** drove into me (while i was still learning)- so actaully the insurance paid for most of the c3

lou xxx
    I know - and that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    Make: Honda
    Model: Civic Type R
    Colour: Black
    Engine Size: 2.0 ltr
    and why: 0-60 : 6.6 seconds and looks sick!
    I think the insurance will be too much on that 2.0 ltr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    well personally after my holiday i'v got 1-1.5k to spend on the car and the insurance is going to be paid by my dad
    he said he will spend 1-1.5k on his car.

ReputationRep:
    I think the insurance will be too much on that 2.0 ltr
    apologies - i only read the first post.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I got my first car a year ago now, and I still love it to bits It is...
    Make: Ford
    Model: Ka
    A few of my friends have got Ka's and they are very roomy considering the size. One friend managed to roll the car down the side of the road in the snow earlier this yr and came away with just a broken finger.

Id suggest putting aside around £300 towards MOTs each year if you're buying fairly old cars (my cheapest MOT has been £175 but most have been between £250 and £350 so it's worth having the money for it). Plus £100 car tax.

What sort of driving are you going to use it for?

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    A hit and run rampage, perchance?

ReputationRep:
    A few of my friends have got Ka's and they are very roomy considering the size. One friend managed to roll the car down the side of the road in the snow earlier this yr and came away with just a broken finger.

Id suggest putting aside around £300 towards MOTs each year if you're buying fairly old cars (my cheapest MOT has been £175 but most have been between £250 and £350 so it's worth having the money for it). Plus £100 car tax.

basically to get to uni and back and just as a way of getting around and using the train or bus service becasue that will takes ages every morning

ReputationRep:
    I've got a 1l Nissan Micra, it keeps me in touch with my feminine side and is cheap to run

I would recommend that or a Yaris.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    basically to get to uni and back and just as a way of getting around and using the train or bus service becasue that will takes ages every morning
    Are you going to be living nearish to uni (I used to drive 30 miles each way in my final year which didn't have any effect on my old metro, but when I got a job about 10 miles drive away (in town traffic) it died)?

Also are you moving into hall and have you looked into the parking situation (some uni's don't allow 1st yrs to bring cars - it's against your registration agreement) both at hall and on campus, a parking permit here costs £10 a month?

ReputationRep:
    my advise... get a saxo.

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to be living nearish to uni (I used to drive 30 miles each way in my final year which didn't have any effect on my old metro, but when I got a job about 10 miles drive away (in town traffic) it died)?

Also are you moving into hall and have you looked into the parking situation (some uni's don't allow 1st yrs to bring cars - it's against your registration agreement) both at hall and on campus, a parking permit here costs £10 a month?

ReputationRep:

its about 12 miles aways I would estimate, and traffic is **** when you get into the centre of Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    my advise... get a saxo.
    any reasons why?

ReputationRep:
    any reasons why?
    nice lookin, wont loose your manhood (ka style), quite efficient and i think they are within your price range no problem. insurance will be alright aswell. my mate has a saxo VTR and its a good car.

ReputationRep:
    nice lookin, wont loose your manhood (ka style), quite efficient and i think they are within your price range no problem. insurance will be alright aswell. my mate has a saxo VTR and its a good car.
    cheers thats actually quite good, I'll look into that

ReputationRep:
    If your going for something more economical, I would look at the Diesel engines, as they do a ridiculous amount of mileage per gallon. The outside appearence, shouldn't really be a point, I mean your only ever going to be using it to get around town/uni. Aesthetics aren't important. (Though having said that I bought some low profile alloys for my Peugoet 106, because I hated those darn 13" things. lol.) Power steering? It's something that you can manage without, all it does is make parking a lot easier, when your buying your car, it's better looking privately than going to your local dealership, just take a look at the enginge, make sure that there isn't any leaks, no rust on the enginge, etc. Make sure that there is some tread on the tyres.

Down to personal preference really, just get somebosy who is in the know about cars, to help you out and inspect the cars.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, btw congrats on passing your test (I'm assuming this, as you are car hunting).

ReputationRep:
    Dude I recommend a "small" car. Perhaps a Volkswagen Golf or a Citroen. Remember you will be driving alot cuase of the "newcar-fever" so you might want to look after gas/performance... Good luck.. I would go for any VW...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unK)
    Dude I recommend a "small" car. Perhaps a Volkswagen Golf or a Citroen. Remember you will be driving alot cuase of the "newcar-fever" so you might want to look after gas/performance... Good luck.. I would go for any VW...

I'd go for the POLO instead cause it's smaller than the Golf, and has less performance, this helps to serve for a lower insurance premium.

ReputationRep:
    Take somebody with you that knows about cars- otherwise be prepared to get ripped off- they'll see you a mile away!!!

Take someone like ur dad- who knows cars and will have ur interests at heart- not want you to by the car just because they like the colour of it!

I'd say either a citroen or a vw- vw are safer and lupos are great for city traffic...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.