Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

MEDICINE - *RESULTS DAY 2016* - GCSE Results Discussion & Advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's_me.)
    Hi, I just got my GCSE results today. I got 6 A*s, 2As but I got a D in music for a very legit reason- my teacher was off sick all throughout the course. I have work experience in an opticians and a pharmacy and I am currently volunteering in a hospital (which I have been doing for a month and plan to do so up until I start university.) I really want to study medicine in the future and was wondering if this D in music would stop me from getting into medical school. I'm so disheartened by this as it makes all the rest of my grades look bad too.

Thanks for your replies.
    Don't worry. Those are excellent results. The D will only be a problem for a couple of places (Oxford etc) but generally won't be a too much of an issue. Try and celebrate those amazing results and get yourself ready for starting a-levels.

Congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Russell group does not matter one bit in medicine, nor does the concept of prestige. You need to apply where you stand the best chance of getting in.

The way it stands now, those grades would be very risky at Oxford, but great at just about everywhere else.
    Thank you very much. I can't believe I was so worried. Does "Risky" mean if I tried and got good a-levels and work experience I might have a chance to get into oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Science core and additional A* A*
    Maths A*
    Art B (4 UMS OFF A)
    Drama B (2 UMS OFF A)
    English A (1 UMS OFF A*)
    English lit A
    Geography A*
    Spanish A*
    I am getting the ones close to the grade boundaries remarked.

ReputationRep:
    The whole AS Maths thing is kinda annoying as that's my only A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fakiha)
    Thank you very much. I can't believe I was so worried. Does "Risky" mean if I tried and got good a-levels and work experience I might have a chance to get into oxford.
    Oxford is extremely GCSE heavy, they look at both number and percentage of A*s. I don't have the link to it right now, but as far as I remember most successful candidates have 90% A*s or higher.

It depends though. If your other choices were fairly sensible, and you were pretty much guaranteed an interview (e.g. you got a high UKCAT) then Oxford could be your risky shot.

Don't forget you have to do well on the BMAT too for Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is extremely GCSE heavy, they look at both number and percentage of A*s. I don't have the link to it right now, but as far as I remember most successful candidates have 90% A*s or higher.

It depends though. If your other choices were fairly sensible, and you were pretty much guaranteed an interview (e.g. you got a high UKCAT) then Oxford could be your risky shot.

Don't forget you have to do well on the BMAT too for Oxford.
    Thank You, I really appreciate it.

(Original post by venom2k11)
    I got
    2 As (Geography and Further Add. science)
    5 b's (Core and Add. science, maths, citizenship and ICT)
    3 Cs (English lang. and Lit and French)

Do I have any chance at all to enter medicine?
    Yes, but you'd be limited to the medical schools that minimally require Cs in English language, maths and science. So you're looking at places like Exeter, Leicester, Plymouth and Sheffield (see here for a list of GCSE requirements by medical school). But you'll need to do exceptionally on the UKCAT for many of those places, so make sure to prepare well in advance for it (not at the expense of your A Levels though).

(Original post by Fakiha)
    Hi
    I got
    8 a*
    3 a (maths, physics and German)
    I will remark get maths and German as they were right on the grade boundaries.
    Lots have people have told me to not even bother with Birmingham Uni or Oxford and that majority of Russel brick unis only take people with all a*s in maths and English.
    This isn't true. Your grades are perfectly good for most medical schools. And it doesn't matter if a university is in the Russell Group or not, as far as medicine is concerned.

can I get into Birmingham or Oxford with these GCSE's?
    It depends on the outcome of those remarks. Birmingham requires A*s in English (language or literature; no preference for either), maths and science, and the A in maths would not meet this minimum requirement. Please note that it's the only university that does, though.

For Oxford, it might be a bit borderline but it doesn't hurt to apply. You should study hard for the BMAT if you decide to go for it, since who gets interviewed is largely decided on the basis of a score calculated from GCSE and BMAT results with equal weighting given to both, so a strong BMAT performance would more than likely make up for a narrowly missed A* or two.

All that said, your results are excellent. Congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Yes, but you'd be limited to the medical schools that minimally require only Cs in English language, maths and science. So you're look at places like Exeter, Leicester, Plymouth and Sheffield (see here for a list of GCSE requirements by medical school). You'll need to do exceptionally on the UKCAT for many of those places, so make sure to prepare well in advance for it (not at the expense of your A Levels though).

This isn't true. Your grades are perfectly good for most medical schools. And it doesn't matter if a university is in the Russell Group or not as far as medicine is concerned.

It depends on the outcome of those remarks. Birmingham requires A*s in English (language or literature; no preference for either), maths and science, and the A in maths would not meet this minimum requirement. Please note that it's the only university that does, though.

For Oxford, it might be a bit borderline but it doesn't hurt to apply. You should study hard for the BMAT if you decide to go for it, since who gets interviewed is largely decided on the basis of a score calculated from GCSE and BMAT results with equal weighting given to both, so a strong BMAT performance would more than likely make up for a narrowly missed A* or two.

All that said, your results are excellent. Congratulations.
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I made a thread about this earlier but I just thought I'd ask here too about whether I should get a remark or not. I got R.E. and Psychology back today and I got 100 UMS in R.E. which was in A* but in Psychology I got an A. I got A*s in my mocks and got full marks throughout the year. I think I'm two marks off A* from what I've understood. Do you think I should get a remark? Btw I got 172 UMS and needed 180 for an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepewds_)
    Hi everyone. I made a thread about this earlier but I just thought I'd ask here too about whether I should get a remark or not. I got R.E. and Psychology back today and I got 100 UMS in R.E. which was in A* but in Psychology I got an A. I got A*s in my mocks and got full marks throughout the year. I think I'm two marks off A* from what I've understood. Do you think I should get a remark? Btw I got 172 UMS and needed 180 for an A*.
    Hi I am in the same position as you I am getting a lot of my results remarked because I was predicted to get 6a*'s and 3A's and ended up with only 5A*'s 2a's and 2B's. If you can definitely get them remarked!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. Those are excellent results. The D will only be a problem for a couple of places (Oxford etc) but generally won't be a too much of an issue. Try and celebrate those amazing results and get yourself ready for starting a-levels.

Congrats

Thank you so much for your reply, you have no idea how much you have relieved my stress.

Thank youuu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mizz.Unicorn)
    Hi I am in the same position as you I am getting a lot of my results remarked because I was predicted to get 6a*'s and 3A's and ended up with only 5A*'s 2a's and 2B's. If you can definitely get them remarked!!
    Okay I REALLY hope that I get that A*. I am only in year 10 so... I was terrified. I need it to go up so much because I want to go to Cambridge for medicine. How do I even get a remark and by when must I request one? When will I get its grade back?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

would 10 A's and 1 A* be a competitive set of grades for medical school. I know that oxbridge would be highly unlikely but would other universities be happy with those grades along with strong A-levels (hopefully) ?

ReputationRep:
    How many UMS off were you and in what subjects if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Today I got 2A* 7A 1B
    English Lit-A*
    English Lang-A*
    Maths-A
    Biology-A
    Chemistry-A
    Physics-A
    Spanish-A
    History-A*
    RE-A*
    I planned to study medicine at university but I'm not too sure of my GCSEs are strong enough to stand a chance of actually getting into a medical school.
    I want to study Biology Chemistry History Philosophy at A Level. Do I stand a chance of getting into medical school with my GCSEs??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NI---)
    Hi,
    Today I got 2A* 7A 1B
    English Lit-A*
    English Lang-A*
    Maths-A
    Biology-A
    Chemistry-A
    Physics-A
    Spanish-A
    History-A*
    RE-A*
    I planned to study medicine at university but I'm not too sure of my GCSEs are strong enough to stand a chance of actually getting into a medical school.
    I want to study Biology Chemistry History Philosophy at A Level. Do I stand a chance of getting into medical school with my GCSEs??
    Hi

Well done on your results. Don't worry too much - you can still study medicine. You just need to be clever when applying - some medical schools look closer at GCSE results than others. These results don't completely preclude you from studying medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I should give up on medicine, i feel stupid for even considering this career as a choice, people are worried about 7A* and i'm here stuck with 1A*, 1A and 8B's

ReputationRep:
    Biology - A (2 marks of an A* so I will get this remarked)
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - A*
    Computing - A*
    Maths - A (3 marks of an A*, I don't know if I should get this remarked?)
    German - A (2 marks of an A* but I might get it remarked)
    Latin Lang - A*
    Lang Lit - A
    Eng Lang - B
    Eng Lit - A
    Psychology - B
    RS - B
    Economics - B

Overall - 3A*, 6A's, 4B's

I'm thinking of trying to do Medicine in Imperial but I'm not so sure with my grades...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepewds_)
    How many UMS off were you and in what subjects if you don't mind me asking?
    I was 2 off in drama 4 off in art and 1 in english

ReputationRep:
    I was 2 off in drama 4 off in art and 1 in english
    You are so much closer to the next boundaries though are you sure I should even try ?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.