The Student Room Group

Stress for a new year 10 student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mercuryman
is 8 an A or a B?

High A or A*, the definition varies from source to source, it seems.
Original post by happydimples
Ive had a look in manchester university and they want a minimum of 7 gcse's at grade 7, maths and english at grade 6 above, sorry i misunderstood thank you!:smile:

You cannot equate the new grades with the old ones lke this - unis have not decided the requirements yet!

Do the best you can ... worrying won't help.
Right I've posted a lot about the new GCSE and I'm still sosososo scared and for the degree i want to do in uni needs about 9 7's and I'm taking exactly 9!? So basically i have to get 7's in everything... oh my. My school has little options and i really can't move schools so thats a nono, i wouldn't consider myself being smart nor thick, I'm only in the top set for maths but the others middle set and I've just came out of year 9 and it was difficult and i cant imagine how year 10 will be, especially with this new GCSE I've always had a dream to be a dentist and i can't change it, I've always wanted to and i find it awkwardly and strangely interesting in my spare time i just read things about it, i sound like a proper sado... my friends want to do it and they are waaaay more clever than i am and when i see them i feel like I'm useless and will embarrass myself by getting low grades, its too confusing. Im not letting this dream come to waste ever since year 2 I've wanted to be one. I need to concentrate harder and i need to block social media from coming in my way but I can't figure out if I'm taking over myself by doing all this, my parents give all the support to me and they will let me do anything i want to do but i want to do something got to do with med. Its the new gcse thats scaring me i know it is, I'm scared right now what can i do!!?? I just want to sit there and revise all day long but i can't seem to do it, i instantly forget about what i learn and i don't have the energy to recap it! Please help I don't want to stress to much or i don't want to just chill too much, its hard to do both and currently i don't do anything because I'm just too stressed right now, your probably thinking that I'm stressing too much at this stage but honestly i can't stop it...

Looking from what i have been told i thought 8 was an A*, 7 was an A etc. So your looking at needing 7A grades at GCSE which is perfectly reachable if you want to work hard and reach your goal in life.

For dentistry you would need a dentistry degree which many unis offer.

I would reccomend getting some good extra curricular activities to stop you stressing out so much.
Then when it comes to starting school do your homework as soon as you get it, read around and make sure you go over things you dont understand, it will really help when it comes to revision.

The main thing is dont panic, yes GCSE grades are important for course like dentistry but you need to knuckle down and keep calm.

Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right I've posted a lot about the new GCSE and I'm still sosososo scared and for the degree i want to do in uni needs about 9 7's and I'm taking exactly 9!? So basically i have to get 7's in everything... oh my. My school has little options and i really can't move schools so thats a nono, i wouldn't consider myself being smart nor thick, I'm only in the top set for maths but the others middle set and I've just came out of year 9 and it was difficult and i cant imagine how year 10 will be, especially with this new GCSE I've always had a dream to be a dentist and i can't change it, I've always wanted to and i find it awkwardly and strangely interesting in my spare time i just read things about it, i sound like a proper sado... my friends want to do it and they are waaaay more clever than i am and when i see them i feel like I'm useless and will embarrass myself by getting low grades, its too confusing. Im not letting this dream come to waste ever since year 2 I've wanted to be one. I need to concentrate harder and i need to block social media from coming in my way but I can't figure out if I'm taking over myself by doing all this, my parents give all the support to me and they will let me do anything i want to do but i want to do something got to do with med. Its the new gcse thats scaring me i know it is, I'm scared right now what can i do!!?? I just want to sit there and revise all day long but i can't seem to do it, i instantly forget about what i learn and i don't have the energy to recap it! Please help I don't want to stress to much or i don't want to just chill too much, its hard to do both and currently i don't do anything because I'm just too stressed right now, your probably thinking that I'm stressing too much at this stage but honestly i can't stop it...

I know how you feel, I went through this too. I stopped watching television completely and tried to focus on my studies. I'm forgetful too and I procrastinate a lot. Don't be stressed, it can have a negative impact on you. You can do it, don't worry. Your friends aren't smarter than you, you're just as clever as they are. You aren't useless either, don't let such thoughts affect you. Be positive and most importantly, surround yourself with positive people
you haven't even started Year 10 yet calm downnn
Original post by _gcx
You shouldn't be stressed. Just don't slack and do your best, and you'll be absolutely fine. :smile: Just chilll for now, the beginning of Year 10 is way too early to get stressed. I'm suprised how unis can judge what they'll need grade-wise on the 9-1 scale, since there's so little information about it out there.

I understand what you mean by just getting to stressed but honestly its hard not to be stressed, but honest and truthfully i get what you mean:smile:
Original post by Muttley79
You cannot equate the new grades with the old ones lke this - unis have not decided the requirements yet!

Do the best you can ... worrying won't help.

Manchester University has mentioned the new GCSE grade 9-1 requirements.

Source: https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/dentistry/study/undergraduate/dentistry-bds/?year=2017&pg=3
Original post by Natalierm2707
Looking from what i have been told i thought 8 was an A*, 7 was an A etc. So your looking at needing 7A grades at GCSE which is perfectly reachable if you want to work hard and reach your goal in life.

For dentistry you would need a dentistry degree which many unis offer.

I would reccomend getting some good extra curricular activities to stop you stressing out so much.
Then when it comes to starting school do your homework as soon as you get it, read around and make sure you go over things you dont understand, it will really help when it comes to revision.

The main thing is dont panic, yes GCSE grades are important for course like dentistry but you need to knuckle down and keep calm.

Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much, this has helped me to calm down, and i double checked and it says that they want a minimum of 6 grade 7's :smile:
Manchester University has mentioned the new GCSE grade 9-1 requirements.

Source: https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/dentistry/study/undergraduate/dentistry-bds/?year=2017&pg=3

Since no-one has even taken a 'new' GCSE yet and only two will be sat next year, these requirements may well change. One university posting something tentative does not disprove my post ...
Original post by agentblank000
I know how you feel, I went through this too. I stopped watching television completely and tried to focus on my studies. I'm forgetful too and I procrastinate a lot. Don't be stressed, it can have a negative impact on you. You can do it, don't worry. Your friends aren't smarter than you, you're just as clever as they are. You aren't useless either, don't let such thoughts affect you. Be positive and most importantly, surround yourself with positive people

Thats exactly how i feel right now :frown: i try not to stress and i will have to ignore all the negativity getting to me, and thanks for the great advice! :smile:
you got stress?
bruh you need to cut it:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just work as hard as you can by paying attention in class and revising subjects often. Hard work pays off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you have still got a whole year ahead of you, a whole year you could use wisely and not waste your time on. Revise little and often throughout the year and don't wait until the very last minute to cram!
Also, I thought unis would concentrate more on a-level results/IB rather than GCSEs but correct me if I'm wrong!
Original post by mercuryman
is 8 an A or a B?

9 - A**
8 - A*
7 - A
6 - B
5 - C
4 - D(higher passing grade)
Original post by frankielogue
9 - A**
8 - A*
7 - A
6 - B
5 - C

4 is a C not a D btw:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frankielogue
9 - A**
8 - A*
7 - A
6 - B
5 - C

The grades don't equate anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait so if 7 is an A and 6 is a B does that mean 8 is an A* and 9 is something better than an A*?
I hate this system. Letters are so much better. So happy I was in the last year of letters ahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Wait so if 7 is an A and 6 is a B does that mean 8 is an A* and 9 is something better than an A*?
I hate this system. Letters are so much better. So happy I was in the last year of letters ahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471727420.999681.jpg
From the aqa website

Posted from TSR Mobile

7 = A right?

Unfortunately, you might need more than that. However, just chill - Really. Just put in the work and you will get the grades. There's no point worrying about anything. The fact that you're so concerned about your future is a precipice that you'll likely succeed. If you REALLY want to get ahead, just by some CGP revision guides and get to some light work. I'd prioritise GCSE Biology, Chemistry, physics, maths and English language. If you get 8s in these, the others don't particulary matter too much.

Good luck.
Original post by _gcx
High A or A*, the definition varies from source to source, it seems.

8 is A* 9 is A**

9 is suppose to be half of people achieving A* now. So it's like getting 95% UMS. Pretty steep.

Quick Reply

Latest