Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling all straight guys Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)
    I have no idea what you're talking about. You're attracted to women but you have sex with men too - that doesn't make you straight, that's bisexual. I hear what you say about it being more convenient and obviously it must be a lot easier for you to have sex with a man because they're a dime a dozen. But it's got nothing to do with how attractive you find someone - if you have sex with men and women, that means you swing both ways. A straight man will only have sex with women (regardless of attractiveness) and do nothing sexual whatsoever with another man.
    I've only ever thought a woman is hot. I've only ever had feelings for women. I've only ever dated women. I've only ever had relationships with women. To me those are the more important things. Straight or bi is an identity and it doesn't make sense to me to form an identity informed by something that I do sometimes because it's better than jerking off. It makes more sense to me to have an identity based around the important stuff that much more shapes my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I've only ever thought a woman is hot. I've only ever had feelings for women. I've only ever dated women. I've only ever had relationships with women. To me those are the more important things. Straight or bi is an identity and it doesn't make sense to me to form an identity informed by something that I do sometimes because it's better than jerking off. It makes more sense to me to have an identity based around the important stuff that much more shapes my life.
    That's fair enough, but regardless people will still classify you as bi. It's fine if you don't identify with it, but it will be difficult for you to convince other people that you're straight if you still have sex with men. What you're doing falls under the definition of bisexual - a straight man wouldn't even be able to get it up if they had a man's arse in front of them.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not in a million years unless I was held at gun point. Would never even have a threesome including another guy. I don't fancy having a spit roast

ReputationRep:
    That's fair enough, but regardless people will still classify you as bi. It's fine if you don't identify with it, but it will be difficult for you to convince other people that you're straight if you still have sex with men. What you're doing falls under the definition of bisexual - a straight man wouldn't even be able to get it up if they had a man's arse in front of them.
    I'd argue the opposite. I'm bisexual, I develop both romantic and physical attraction to both sides. If a straight man was to sleep with another man whom he had no romantic or even physical attraction to just out of convenience then he's not bisexual simply because of the act. Sure he might swing both ways, but he made the choice so I wouldn't call him bisexual.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care what others think. I have had the debate with myself over what this is, what my attraction to men is and gone through that whole confusion. Because of thinking that through I have become very clear on how I understand myself and how I feel. That matters much more than what others think I am. I wouldn't be able to openly admit to it if I wasn't comfortable with and how it related to my sense of self.

I get that some straight guys wouldn't be able to get into it at all. Partly, I'm not really thinking about the guy in front of me, it's about the physical feeling of it. But I also do think sexual orientation is a spectrum and not a set of clearly defined boxes. I may well be a bit more towards the bi edge of straight but I still think in all the ways that really matter I am straight so that's what I am.

ReputationRep:

You're wrong here.Being gay or straight is about attraction.A gay guy could have sex with a women
    but if hes not attracted to her then hes still gay.In the same way a straight man can physically have sex with another man but if hes attracted to women only then hes still straight.Its about attraction.Its like when you walk past a hot girl on the street you just look without even thinking about it.Its the same thing for gay people.Its not a concious thing.

ReputationRep:
    No because I am a straight guy...?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.