Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Passionate or un healthy addiction? How do i stop procrastinating Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    My 19 year old son spends far too much of his spare time on his X Box. I think he should be starting to grow out of it now. I don't want him to end up like some sad lonely old git in his forties still playing the X Box. It's fine for kids and teenagers, but I always think grown men who play Playstation or X Box are weird.
    Oh for ffs, games are for adults now. This stigma that "adults who play video games are losers/weirdos" has to go. Have you ever played any modern games?
    I never intend to give it up, in fact I'm using my xbox one to type this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Oh for ffs, games are for adults now. This stigma that "adults who play video games are losers/weirdos" has to go. Have you ever played any modern games?
    No. I had a bit of a go for about 20 minutes years ago when my son had a Playstation 2. I don't know anyone my age who plays video games.

ReputationRep:
    No. I had a bit of a go for about 20 minutes years ago when my son had a Playstation 2. I don't know anyone my age who plays video games.
    There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people your age who game in the UK alone. You should search up a few games on YouTube, I'm thinking maybe something like The Walking Dead Video game, LA Noire, Mirror's Edge... something like that.
    The PS2 was 15 years or so ago. Games have come a long way since then, and multiplayer/co-op games dominate the industry.

ReputationRep:
    I never intend to give it up, in fact I'm using my xbox one to type this
    But your interests and priorities change when you get older. Especially when you "settle down" and have children. Your time is preoccupied with homework, making sure they eat properly, balancing family commitments and your work and your relationship. As I said I know no-one my age who plays anything like the X Box or similar. Maybe if I was living on my own it would be different. But with my son and his ups and downs, life in general, two cats, paying bills, keeping my health in check, it'snot that I don't have the time. It's that I absolutely have no inclination.

ReputationRep:
    But your interests and priorities change when you get older. Especially when you "settle down" and have children. Your time is preoccupied with homework, making sure they eat properly, balancing family commitments and your work and your relationship. As I said I know no-one my age who plays anything like the X Box or similar. Maybe if I was living on my own it would be different. But with my son and his ups and downs, life in general, two cats, paying bills, keeping my health in check, it'snot that I don't have the time. It's that I absolutely have no inclination.
    It's just another form of entertainment, your main one is probably TV, whereas a younger generation might prefer video games. It should come as no surprise to you that I have no intention of "settling down" myself, sounds awful if I'm honest. Call me weird if you want but I don't want to care to a whining kid's needs for 16 years or more

ReputationRep:
    It's just another form of entertainment, your main one is probably TV, whereas a younger generation might prefer video games. It should come as no surprise to you that I have no intention of "settling down" myself, sounds awful if I'm honest. Call me weird if you want but I don't want to care to a whining kid's needs for 16 years or more
    LOL. I don't think you're weird at all. He's hard work. He smokes too much weed. If I didn't wake him up at 7 every morning to go in to college he would turn over and go back to sleep. It's me who still does all the cooking,cleaning,washing,drying, ironing. He thinks nothing of spending £100 of his student loan on new clothes for himself and then expects me to sub him for the rest of the term as he's skint. Every year he become a year older my life becomes a little bit easier. But it's been a long hard slog.

ReputationRep:
    set big goals and smash them

ReputationRep:
    LOL. I don't think you're weird at all. He's hard work. He smokes too much weed. If I didn't wake him up at 7 every morning to go in to college he would turn over and go back to sleep. It's me who still does all the cooking,cleaning,washing,drying, ironing. He thinks nothing of spending £100 of his student loan on new clothes for himself and then expects me to sub him for the rest of the term as he's skint. Every year he become a year older my life becomes a little bit easier. But it's been a long hard slog.
    He probably just lacks all motivation and I'm kind of in the same boat other than the weed n what not. I'm afraid the real world can really suck sometimes. Went to college last year and absolutely hated it. It only gets worse when you're doing stuff during the day that you don't even enjoy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    However for me the problem is that atm games are the only thing that I am "passionate" about :/
    So aim that passion elsewhere. If games are all you're passionate about rather than playing games, start making them.

You mentioned that you wanted a job in the future related to the game industry. Start doing something related to that now. Turn your gaming motivation into motivation to do some kind of work. It doesn't have to be your A2 work yet but move your activities away from solely playing games.

At some point you'll realise that you've got motivation, because you're doing what you want to do (it's related to gaming and your overall industry goal). From there you need to realise that succeeding and going on to work in the gaming industry will probably need you to pass your A Levels.

And of course who's to say you can't link them together? You need to do History coursework research but you're spending too much time gaming. What if you were making your own game centered around whatever you're meant to be researching? Maybe you've got to research World War 1 in the UK. So you start designing some sort of game set in WWI.

Ultimately if you feel like you can do more than just play games then go out and prove it. Prove it to me if having someone else bearing down on you helps. But really prove it to yourself.

As I said I know no-one my age who plays anything like the X Box or similar
    Isn't the issue here more that you aren't in the gaming community to begin with? I don't know anyone that plays golf but I am also not a golfer. I am a gamer and know a lot of people that game.

It's expected that you won't know any people your age who game because it doesn't line up with your interests. But if you were a gamer you'd quickly start finding all sorts of people who game.

Gaming is also a broad term nowadays. You might not know anyone that plays console games but what about other types of games? Do you know anyone with a smartphone who has a game on it? Anyone that plays games on Facebook? Anyone with kids who plays games with their kids?

The other point that's worth bringing up, what exactly is the difference between computer games and physical games (e.g. board games like monopoly, or games like chess)? The ultimate aim of both is to have fun. You can take them more seriously and play in tournaments. You might think a 30 year old playing in a gaming tournament is childish. But how is that massively different from playing in a chess tournament? The basic premise is the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    So aim that passion elsewhere. If games are all you're passionate about rather than playing games, start making them.

You mentioned that you wanted a job in the future related to the game industry. Start doing something related to that now. Turn your gaming motivation into motivation to do some kind of work. It doesn't have to be your A2 work yet but move your activities away from solely playing games.

At some point you'll realise that you've got motivation, because you're doing what you want to do (it's related to gaming and your overall industry goal). From there you need to realise that succeeding and going on to work in the gaming industry will probably need you to pass your A Levels.

And of course who's to say you can't link them together? You need to do History coursework research but you're spending too much time gaming. What if you were making your own game centered around whatever you're meant to be researching? Maybe you've got to research World War 1 in the UK. So you start designing some sort of game set in WWI.

Ultimately if you feel like you can do more than just play games then go out and prove it. Prove it to me if having someone else bearing down on you helps. But really prove it to yourself.

Isn't the issue here more that you aren't in the gaming community to begin with? I don't know anyone that plays golf but I am also not a golfer. I am a gamer and know a lot of people that game.

It's expected that you won't know any people your age who game because it doesn't line up with your interests. But if you were a gamer you'd quickly start finding all sorts of people who game.

Gaming is also a broad term nowadays. You might not know anyone that plays console games but what about other types of games? Do you know anyone with a smartphone who has a game on it? Anyone that plays games on Facebook? Anyone with kids who plays games with their kids?

The other point that's worth bringing up, what exactly is the difference between computer games and physical games (e.g. board games like monopoly, or games like chess)? The ultimate aim of both is to have fun. You can take them more seriously and play in tournaments. You might think a 30 year old playing in a gaming tournament is childish. But how is that massively different from playing in a chess tournament? The basic premise is the same
    Some good points there.

ReputationRep:
    Use gaming as an incentive to work! After a day of revision/work sit down for a few hours, play some games and chill. As a fellow gamer, I know how tough it can be. But you really just have to slog through and work hard.

ReputationRep:
    Uninstall them, uninstall steam (If you don't use steam just.... get out).
    My 19 year old son spends far too much of his spare time on his X Box. I think he should be starting to grow out of it now. I don't want him to end up like some sad lonely old git in his forties still playing the X Box. It's fine for kids and teenagers, but I always think grown men who play Playstation or X Box are weird.
    Are you kidding? The 18+ rated games are some of the best ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Uninstall them, uninstall steam (If you don't use steam just.... get out).

Are you kidding? The 18+ rated games are some of the best ones.
    I guess, LOL. I remember him and his friends being mad about Grand Theft Auto and him begging me to buy it for him, and his mates begging their parents to buy it when they were only about 12 !! But do YOUR parents play video games? [I'm assuming your parents are a similar age to me. I'm 48].

ReputationRep:
    I guess, LOL. I remember him and his friends being mad about Grand Theft Auto and him begging me to buy it for him, and his mates begging their parents to buy it when they were only about 12 !! But do YOUR parents play video games? [I'm assuming your parents are a similar age to me. I'm 48].
    My parents don't, but I have a couple of uncles that do.

ReputationRep:
    If you lack self-discipline then give your console to someone who will only let you play when you're on track :yy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.