Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Adarshster)
    Channels like this show how English journalism is relatively much more balanced and objective. Mainly the broadsheets and tv channels.
    If you knew anything about the US media, you'd know that the show in question is political commentary. It's meant to be biased. Only it's biased from sides to the extent that one commentator is right wing and the other is left wing. Regardless, this isn't journalism; it's commentary. I can't seriously believe that you think that British papers like the Guardian, the Telegraph, or the Independent are anywhere near as non-partisan as the NY Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, or the actual news programs of CNN and Fox News.

(Original post by UniOfLife)
    If they think that Fox News is breaking the law by pretending to be neutral when it is actually biased why not sue them for misrepresentation. If the problem is the effectiveness of Fox's message then why doesn't someone start a left-wing news channel.
    If we're talking about a left wing slant on the commentary programs, then we already have PBS, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, and CBS. There's a reason Fox News gets such high ratings: it's because it's the only news channel whose commentary programs are predominantly right wing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    If you knew anything about the US media, you'd know that the show in question is political commentary.
    Bull. It's not just Hannity & Colmes. The entire channel is right-wing propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    True. It's not just lil Bill. Many of their news reports are inherently biased too. Channel 4, Sky News, and BBC are much more balanced. They may at times, very rarely, subtly, show some bias but usually it's quite neutral. BBC reports many stories about their own organisation, even if it is strong criticism.

I don't find Fox ever doing that.

ReputationRep:
    If we're talking about a left wing slant on the commentary programs, then we already have PBS, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, and CBS. There's a reason Fox News gets such high ratings: it's because it's the only news channel whose commentary programs are predominantly right wing.
    Exactly right. Fox News is powerful because people watch it. And people choose to watch it. Therefore, the implication must be that people like watching it either because they agree with its political PoV or because they don't care.

As I said before, the complaints sound like tantrums from kids whining that they aren't getting it their way. I highly doubt these people would complain if it had a left-wing bias. Although, in all likelihood those who defend Fox would.

ReputationRep:
    What is the actual point of this thread? Just to expose smoe bias or is there actually a reason behind it? Like Fox's bias is enough to justify it being shut down, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invocation)
    It's not as simple as that. Fox News is the most watched news channel in the US- it has an incredible effect on the American public psyche; which in turn has a noteworthy effect on American, and ultimately worldwide, politics.
    Not really. I agree it's biased, but it's not as influential as you think:

1. Only the people who already agree with it tend to watch it

2. Of the above group, only those who actually watch the news on TV watch it

3. CNN and MSNBC are both center/left 24 hour news stations, effectively splitting the liberals/moderates. I suspect their combined viewership at least matches Fox News.

4. The most watched news programs are still on the broadcast stations (US terrestrial television), which are pretty center/left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)

3. CNN and MSNBC are both center/left 24 hour news stations
    CNN International is centralist, but the US CNN is very right-wing. e.g. Glen Beck is just a CNN version of O' Reilly

ReputationRep:
    Can’t we stop comparing Fox News to all these other media outlets and just judge the station on its own merits. You are always going to have your left wing/right wing magazines because different sections of society lean different ways politically, but all of them (As far as I’m aware) keep their journalistic integrity.

My point is that Fox News starts out with a given agenda, with the daily memos issued, then searches for facts to present that view or simply make up total hearsay.

ReputationRep:
    CNN International is centralist, but the US CNN is very right-wing. e.g. Glen Beck is just a CNN version of O' Reilly
    CNN's most watched shows are Paula Zahn and Anderson Cooper 360. They do have some right wing perspectives but as a channel, it's certainly not right-wing by any stretch of the imagination. My parents watch it every day, and they're hardcore liberals.

ReputationRep:
    CNN's most watched shows are Paula Zahn and Anderson Cooper 360. They do have some right wing perspectives but as a channel, it's certainly not right-wing by any stretch of the imagination. My parents watch it every day, and they're hardcore liberals.
    So it's most watched programs have right-wing perspectives, but not right-wing "by any stretch of the imagination" ? How did you work that out ?

ReputationRep:
    Paula Zahn and Anderson Cooper are NOT right wing. I meant that the channel has some right wing perspectives, but they are not the most watched shows.

Have you ever watched American CNN?

ReputationRep:
    Also, don't forget that Rupert Murdoch owns Sky, and Fox News is carried by the service in the UK. I saw it in my channel listings last week and couldn't believe it.

ReputationRep:
    Paula Zahn and Anderson Cooper are NOT right wing. I meant that the channel has some right wing perspectives, but they are not the most watched shows.

Have you ever watched American CNN?
    Yes, and the impression I got off it was that it as a channel had centre-right to right wing views.

ReputationRep:
    Well perhaps that's because you're not American. It's certainly a moderate/liberal news channel, no question.

ReputationRep:
    Are you joking? Glenn Beck isn't even on the main version of CNN. On the main CNN (which people actually watch), you have left wing Dobbs from 5-6 PM, centrist Blitzer from 6-8, left wing Zahn from 8-9, centrist King from 9-10, and left wing Cooper from 10-12. How that's right wing is beyond me. And all this is besides the point anyway. The actual news shows are completely non-partisan.

ReputationRep:
    But yet no one has addressed the main point which is that Fox News can do whatever it wants. It is a private company. Do those complaining against Fox want the government to shut it down? Do they want Fox to change to suit their political opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    But yet no one has addressed the main point which is that Fox News can do whatever it wants. It is a private company. Do those complaining against Fox want the government to shut it down? Do they want Fox to change to suit their political opinions?
    And do those same people want the Guardian, the Independent, and the Telegraph shut down for far more blatant (and constant) displays of bias.

ReputationRep:
    And do those same people want the Guardian, the Independent, and the Telegraph shut down for far more blatant (and constant) displays of bias.
    People aren't pissed that they're bias. They're annoyed at Fox's claim of being "Fair and Balanced", and the large numbers who actually believe them.

ReputationRep:
    Every source of news implicitly claims that it is fair and balanced, so what? If you don't like the news on Fox, don't watch it. That's the beauty of free speech!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkHamster)
    Every source of news implicitly claims that it is fair and balanced
    No they don't.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.