Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of long distance relationships? Would you date someone online? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I would, I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleT192)
    Good, I'm glad. That sorta thing can f*** up someone's mind. Doing it to 3 people isn't nice and isn't good for your mentality either.*
    Oh gosh not a catfish

ReputationRep:
    Probably but it really does depend on other factors

ReputationRep:
    I have dated a few people I met online.

ReputationRep:
    First relationship we met online, I traveled to see her a month later, and we were together for almost four years.

Long-distance/online relationships can work, but it depends on the individuals. I've heard some fascinating stories of people who have dated for years but had never met until much later on, but also a lot of stories of them failing quite easily.

As with any relationship, commitment, communication and passion are key.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never recommend them, but I've been in one for over a year now, which started online. Due to the difference in geography, it was a long while before we could meet, and only then was I sure that it was real. I could never have gone on if there wasn't the hope of living together, and in a month we will be ❤ But it's incredibly, incredibly hard, and not something that I would have chosen for myself.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I wouldn't date somebody purely from online but long distance is a possibility - say I were to link up in Y13, and we go to separate universities; no doubt, that will be long-distance.

ReputationRep:
    Hm.. I think yes. My friend from Year 12 has been going out with this girl from the USA for years now, and their relationship is still so strong - they Skype frequently etc. but about 2 weeks ago he flew out to the USA to go see her their sense of humours match so uncannily and you can tell that they're in love - they're perfect together. So yes, I think the question of distance can be worked around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707;66924256[b)
    ]I personally would never date someone unless I had physically met them in person, physical attraction and getting to know someones true personality is very hard online, and so I would never go there.[/b]

As for long distance relationships, I am in one during term time and it is very difficult for us, we skype every few days and text often but we went from being together almost every day at school and college to now being a 4.5 hour train journey away from eachother. I wouldnt change it though because we are both so happy together and thankfully we have managed to make it work!
    I agree.
    As for long distance relationships, it depends on how long the distance was, how often you get to meet up etc etc. I wouldnt say no to one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I agree.
    As for long distance relationships, it depends on how long the distance was, how often you get to meet up etc etc. I wouldnt say no to one.
    I think it did help that for us we had been together 3.5 years before we went long distance and both were very willing to work at it. Its all about circumstance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LDRs are doomed to fail in 95% of cases :unsure:

Dating someone online? Do not fall into the trap of forming attachments prior to meeting up with anyone! :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggygeorgieee)
    Hm.. I think yes. My friend from Year 12 has been going out with this girl from the USA for years now, and their relationship is still so strong - they Skype frequently etc. but about 2 weeks ago he flew out to the USA to go see her their sense of humours match so uncannily and you can tell that they're in love - they're perfect together. So yes, I think the question of distance can be worked around.
    How do they work around the distance? Is skype enough to keep them together? How long have they been together? I'm in a similar situation, and at best I could see my guy about once a year or so, and he can't come here. Is one of them going to move? I've thought about that, but I need to get through school first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I think it did help that for us we had been together 3.5 years before we went long distance and both were very willing to work at it. Its all about circumstance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This gives me hope! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've had 3 or 4 long distance/online relationships w girls when I catfished them.
    We couldn't meet for obvious reasons and so I'd tell them where I live based on where they are so that I was at least 4 hours away. That way they understood that it was difficult to meet.

They were fun while they lasted.
    Were you ever seeing someone online and in the real world at the same time? What did you tell them?

ReputationRep:
    No

I crave intimacy and touch too much

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.