Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Perhaps. But I wouldn't underestimate the difficult of treating patients who don't speak the same language. Plus it isn't all about the medical students. The younger generations might not mind, and probably speak very good English. But how many older patients will want to have to go through a translator because their medical student hasn't bothered to learn the language. Why would they want to go through that in their own country, why should they?
    that is true. Do u have any advice on my situation? anything would be much appreciated. I feel very stuck
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PND98)
    that is true. Do u have any advice on my situation? anything would be much appreciated. I feel very stuck
    You're taking a gap year and thats the advice I would normally give. Smash the UKCAT/BMAT and do everything you can to get in this year. Take a 2nd gap year if necessary. I don't think going abroad is the miracle option that everyone seems to think it is. Especially in the wake of Brexit. No one knows how easy it will be to get back in 6 years time.

ReputationRep:
    You're taking a gap year and thats the advice I would normally give. Smash the UKCAT/BMAT and do everything you can to get in this year. Take a 2nd gap year if necessary. I don't think going abroad is the miracle option that everyone seems to think it is. Especially in the wake of Brexit. No one knows how easy it will be to get back in 6 years time.
    okay thanks. What's your opinion on doing a degree such as neuroscience and then applying to medicine if i dont get in after my gap year.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PND98)
    okay thanks. What's your opinion on doing a degree such as neuroscience and then applying to medicine if i dont get in after my gap year.
    Whilst I don't normally advocate aiming for GEM, I think its preferable to going abroad. But you have to be happy with the degree you pick and be able to do well in it. But see how results day goes, see how the UKCAT goes and apply strategically this year and hopefully you'll get in.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I don't normally advocate aiming for GEM, I think its preferable to going abroad. But you have to be happy with the degree you pick and be able to do well in it. But see how results day goes, see how the UKCAT goes and apply strategically this year and hopefully you'll get in.
    okay thanks!

ReputationRep:
    hey! do u know people studying abroad?
    its best to ask them whats its like

every system has its pros and cons- in terms of jobs, what I know is that you wont have an issue coming back- I called the GMC to ask them, and that's what they said as of this august.

in terms of the language- its like everything else, it takes time but if you work at it its good because you learn another language. its true you do have to communicate with patients in that language, but I know of people who have done their clinicals in the uk- this helps them when it comes to getting jobs in the UK.

ive applied to Czech medical schools because they seem to have better hospitals in my opinion- larger, better equipped and most doctors and professionals speak English.

there no problem in going through the post grad course, but its a lot more competitive and you might not get in

I know people from Czech medical schools who have gone straight into F2 and know working fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavaman)
    hey! do u know people studying abroad?
    its best to ask them whats its like

every system has its pros and cons- in terms of jobs, what I know is that you wont have an issue coming back- I called the GMC to ask them, and that's what they said as of this august.

in terms of the language- its like everything else, it takes time but if you work at it its good because you learn another language. its true you do have to communicate with patients in that language, but I know of people who have done their clinicals in the uk- this helps them when it comes to getting jobs in the UK.

ive applied to Czech medical schools because they seem to have better hospitals in my opinion- larger, better equipped and most doctors and professionals speak English.

there no problem in going through the post grad course, but its a lot more competitive and you might not get in

I know people from Czech medical schools who have gone straight into F2 and know working fine
    okay thanks! Do u know the names of these czech medical schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PND98)
    Hello haha.
    Yeah I considered doing neuroscience but I'm thinking its even more difficult to get into medicine via being a graduate but its certainly an option. It says on a lot of the bulgarian and romanian medical schools that its degree being GMC approved will not be affected by brexit, so that shouldnt be a problem. Yeah the quality of the education might not be as good. im not sure which bulgarian uni is the best in terms of quality of education So i'm not sure haha
    Romanian med schools are much better than Bulgarian ones tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    how come?

ReputationRep:
    Well now from 2020, the UKMLA will be implemented. It's an exams UK student will also have to take as well as foreign students to practice in the UK. So brexit has no real effect on it to be frank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    Why is that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.