Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Quamquam123 were you high when you agreed to second this?
    I was not high, no. I am against this bill and simply seconded it to get it into the House.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I think hazzar will vote aye.
    And there has been somethings with 0 aye's before.
    Was that you vs RON for Green chair?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I was not high, no. I am against this bill and simply seconded it to get it into the House.
    You're trying to get me out of the Tories, aren't you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You're trying to get me out of the Tories, aren't you?
    Bother. You discovered my master plan.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As much as I am for a more American Style healthcare system over here and a Privatised NHS will be voting Nay on this bill
    Yes the NHS Is a magnificent institutions but it is being poorly manger and it needs serious re-investment ( Hundreds of billions at least ) so it is Inevitable that private funding will be required wherever that be through PFI Schemes , semi Privatisation or full blown privatisation
    The main issues from this bill is that this would rush the privatisation and that emergency care is not fully protected in this bill ... Also it is poorly written and formatting is need
    So Nay

ReputationRep:
    NAY. We want free healthcare for all at the point of use. Do I see BUPA ambulances and emergency helicopters? NO
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Galaxie501)
    Dont blame Quamquam123 or Nigel Farage MEP for the content. They're not really responsible.

Despite the negative feedback we were expecting similiar reactions because the idea is quite radical. This is also our very first bill.

-Galaxie
    When someone seconds a Bill, generally that means that they're ok with it. If they didn't see the latest version of this Bill, and agreed with it, then they're just losing their own credibility.

And get off this "The [currently unofficial] Libertarian Party" - last I checked Fez hadn't approved you. Therefore, unofficial or not, you're not a Party.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Nay. Fair enough for a first attempt at a bill but a healthcare system a la America is not going to do us any good. The NHS isn't perfect but this is arguably a worse alternative when considering the level of market failure in the American system. I don't think any overall reduction in taxation for households will be greater than the increased payment of insurance premiums (unless you have evidence that this isn't the case).

(Original post by hazzer1998)
    The main issues from this bill is that this would rush the privatisation and that emergency care is not fully protected in this bill
    No, the safety net does not cover treatment which should be covered, the privatisation is rushed, and the structure of how privatisation will work is not clear.
    Lmao, you've literally just reiterated Nigel's points.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    NAY. We want free healthcare for all at the point of use. Do I see BUPA ambulances and emergency helicopters? NO
    Well, um, there kinda are private ambulance services. Further the private medical services don't really deal with front line A&E on the whole which is where ambulances are needed. If you were to be rushed to A&E while having comprehensive medical insurance odds are you would then get in a private ambulance to go to the private hospital unless it's unsafe to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)
    . I don't think any overall reduction in taxation for households will be greater than the increased payment of insurance premiums (unless you have evidence that this isn't the case).

Not a necessary problem with private health care, just the US model

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, um, there kinda are private ambulance services. Further the private medical services don't really deal with front line A&E on the whole which is where ambulances are needed. If you were to be rushed to A&E while having comprehensive medical insurance odds are you would then get in a private ambulance to go to the private hospital unless it's unsafe to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Being ill doesn't have a time an place, if private medical care is being proposed here it needs to be able to deal with front line emergencies
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Being ill doesn't have a time an place, if private medical care is being proposed here it needs to be able to deal with front line emergencies
    Given that's what the market dictates they need to do they would? You're saying the equivalent of "BA is dreadful, they don't have a bus to take me to the airport that nobody wants, I have to use the tube or take my car like everybody wants"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Given that's what the market dictates they need to do they would? You're saying the equivalent of "BA is dreadful, they don't have a bus to take me to the airport that nobody wants, I have to use the tube or take my car like everybody wants"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Except what would happen to the person who doesn't have medical insurance or the means to afford private healthcare who has an accident and requires emergency life saving care?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Except what would happen to the person who doesn't have medical insurance or the means to afford private healthcare who has an accident and requires emergency life saving care?
    Depends on the implementation

Do you know how many of the world's best healthcare systems are funded (effectively) entirely via taxation? Because there are a couple I'm not 100% certain about I'll also add the clause "without masses having private cover to avoid it, and a growing figure."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    When someone seconds a Bill, generally that means that they're ok with it. If they didn't see the latest version of this Bill, and agreed with it, then they're just losing their own credibility.
    I seconded it only because it would stimulate debate, the same way some people second amendments even if they don't support them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I seconded it only because it would stimulate debate, the same way some people second amendments even if they don't support them.
    To be fair there hasn't been much debate. If you had seen this before hand you would have known that it had no hope of passing.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. While the NHS may not be perfect, this bill would certainly not improve it. Not only do I fundamentally disagree with NHS privatisation, the proposals in this bill are unclear and frankly dangerous.

However, for a first bill it certainly is not a bad effort and I appreciate the work which will have been put into it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    To be fair there hasn't been much debate. If you had seen this before hand you would have known that it had no hope of passing.
    No, but I didn't know that. I think it's only fair that the Libertarains are given a chance to produce their own legislation before the Speaker makes a decision on their future, hence why I seconded it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well that's a pretty... extreme first bill...

At least have the guts to put 'privatisation' in the title like the last time someone attempted this. 'Reform' my arse.

Obviously, no. The NHS isn't 'on the brink of collapse' and even if it was this would not be a solution.

Galaxie501 I thought you said you supported the healthcare status quo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Well that's a pretty... extreme first bill...

At least have the guts to put 'privatisation' in the title like the last time someone attempted this. 'Reform' my arse.

Obviously, no. The NHS isn't 'on the brink of collapse' and even if it was this would not be a solution.

Galaxie501 I thought you said you supported the healthcare status quo?
    We will try to learn from this bill.

(Original post by mobbsy91)
    And get off this "The [currently unofficial] Libertarian Party" - last I checked Fez hadn't approved you. Therefore, unofficial or not, you're not a Party.
    Everyone knows that, therefor no need to get hung up on that.

In conclusion: The bill was too broad and too radical.

Have a nice day.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.