Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you think Bristol can afford to pay for hundreds of people's mistakes, you really have NO idea just how poor universities in this country are!

ReputationRep:
    i sent mine in good time, but it got held up because of the postal strikes...so it arrived after the deadline..
    arghhh i want to cry...
    my 1st choice was goldney, and 2nd hiatt baker...
    i know i cant get into goldney now...but what about hiatt baker?
    or will i be forced to find private accom??...

ReputationRep:
    Luckily my mum now takes anything that isn't normal sized and wafer thin to the Post Office for them to work out. Sure enough, my form went off with a 1st class stamp with the word 'large' on it.
    As other people have said, if loads of people have made the mistake there'll still be places somewhere for most of you. Maybe they'll sort it out at the same time as the insurance offer people's accommodation but prioritise the people who had firm offers. Or maybe not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kvithani)
    i sent mine in good time, but it got held up because of the postal strikes...so it arrived after the deadline..
    arghhh i want to cry...
    You probably still stand a decent chance of getting into Hiatt Baker- the place is huge.

ReputationRep:
    I work for Oxford Uni, so I put mine through the franking machine and trusted to the University's postage system ... which now I think back could have been a massive mistake. Happily I have my confirmation email though. Really crap to hear about the whole stamp deficit ... the new system seems pretty confusing to me. Hope it all turns out all right for you guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elephant Woman)
    That was obviously their logic, but I disagree. It seems like such a huge blow to a large number of people, and there is obviously a problem if it is happening to so many.
    It's not Bristol's fault that you don't understand the postal system. Didn't the system change a good 6 months ago now? Anyway with things of this importance is it not standard to send it recorded/insured mail or am I just more untrusting of the postal service than I should be?

I'm with Rosie RE: the wealth of Universities. Bristol is supposed to be one of the more well off ones, but there was a recent article on the slew of Universities that are on the edge of bankruptcy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by db)
    It's not Bristol's fault that you don't understand the postal system
    Obviously it's not Bristol's fault, and I fully accept that I'm to blame here. All I was saying is, it is a little mean; although I know they are supposed to be a profit-making business and probably aren't full of sympathy for people who screw up, there are possible solutions for reimbursement. There's no point trying to convince you of my side, as even I know I'm not right, but doesn't everything whine when something they care about goes wrong? I didn't post just to get sympathy as I realize that's not a likely reaction on the internet (but thanks to those who have expressed some sympathy), I just want to know if anyone else is in the same situation. So I don't really need telling that I'm in the wrong - I KNOW.

ReputationRep:
    arghhh i want to cry...
    Oh lawd, you definitely have more cause for complaint than I do, I'm so sorry. I don't know anything about anything, but logic would say that Goldney isn't completely impossible, and Hiatt Baker certainly isn't, as some places must be left for non-guaranteed students. I hope you've let the office know about the circumstances and they take it into consideration, you poor unlucky person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elephant Woman)
    Oh lawd, you definitely have more cause for complaint than I do, I'm so sorry. I don't know anything about anything, but logic would say that Goldney isn't completely impossible, and Hiatt Baker certainly isn't, as some places must be left for non-guaranteed students. I hope you've let the office know about the circumstances and they take it into consideration, you poor unlucky person.
    aww soo sweet!
    well my mum spoke to someone at the accom office, and they basically said it was tough luck because we'd had 2 months to fill in the form and send it off...
    and do they really save places for non-quarenteed students??...im not so sure...
    they said that in september i will be invited for a house-hunting day, to find private accom...

seeing as goldney is sooo oversubscribed, i figured i wouldnt have a chance with that, but as hiatt baker was undersubscribed, there is a bit more of a chance...
    still, i think i'll end up in private accom...
    oh the joy...

ReputationRep:
    it's not bristol's job to go around chasing forms which you haven't sent with the right postage. anytime that happens the post office charges a handling fee of £1 so it's that PLUS the insufficient postage for the uni to pick it up, if as you say lots of students have done this then they can probably scarcely afford to collect them all. The system changed ages ago amid a HUGE advertising campaign....

ReputationRep:
    I did the same thing with the stamps etc. and am sadly in the same situation. Gutted. Won't be getting my first choice which was Goldney. Ah well, I'm worrying about getting in first, and then about accommodation... or so I keep telling myself. I just want to be in halls, and not one of the smaller houses. I don't know why, its just one of those ideas you have. Hopefully it'll all work out for us post-incompetent in the end :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so this means that those of us lucky, or wise enough to have got the forms in on time are now even more likely to get our first choices? that is good.

ReputationRep:
    Those of you who applied to goldney, all the students have been picked (something i gathered from the facebook status of the deputy warden)

but i really wouldn't worry about ending up in private accomodation- very few people will end up doing that. Hiatt baker is absolutely massive and usually undersubscribed, so even if it wasnt your first choice, you might end up there, and that really isn't a bad thing- from what i've heard, it's a fantastic place to live.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily I just folded mine into a small envelope.....
    Although I wish we could know sooner where we got in....

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea you couldn't use one stamp anymore!!! So does Bristol just not get the form then? Gutted, it took me ages to choose first and second choices!

ReputationRep:
    its nt fair i only had 10 days to fill it n send it. they sent me my accomodation stuff on the 1st of july. so i didnt have that long. its nt really gona make a difference to me anyway cos since bristol is a city uni there is no idea of living 'outside campus' every1 r gonna be scattered around anyway so living in private accomodation wont be any different so that alright

ReputationRep:
    aww soo sweet!
    well my mum spoke to someone at the accom office, and they basically said it was tough luck because we'd had 2 months to fill in the form and send it off...
    and do they really save places for non-quarenteed students??...im not so sure...
    they said that in september i will be invited for a house-hunting day, to find private accom...

seeing as goldney is sooo oversubscribed, i figured i wouldnt have a chance with that, but as hiatt baker was undersubscribed, there is a bit more of a chance...
    still, i think i'll end up in private accom...
    oh the joy...
    that's so harsh that they said tough luck!!
    I thought even the over-subscribed halls kept a FEW spaces for those who had bristol for their insurance?? Someone I know got into durdham, and she applied through clearing. Probably very very lucky for her, but still!! dont give up hope.
    Also, dont forget, you could get someones place who didnt manage to get the grades.
    dont worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stepheh)
    that's so harsh that they said tough luck!!
    I've heard from a lot of people that the bristol (admin?) people are mostly b*****ds.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it's coz they're *******s; i think it's because it would geneally be entirely impractical to be otherwise. If they started letting everyone off with it, it would come at huge expense, which they really can't afford (bear in mind, they send out leaflets to parents asking for donations to buy library books these days), and so obviously they can't make any exceptions without being accused of positive discrimination (an accusation bristol are all too familiar with for starters).

it's not a personal vendetta against anyone, although of course i have every sympathy with those of you it has affected, it would just be impractical to be any other way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BradyHR)
    I did the same thing with the stamps etc. and am sadly in the same situation. Gutted. Won't be getting my first choice which was Goldney. Ah well, I'm worrying about getting in first, and then about accommodation... or so I keep telling myself. I just want to be in halls, and not one of the smaller houses. I don't know why, its just one of those ideas you have. Hopefully it'll all work out for us post-incompetent in the end :rolleyes:
    i totally agree...ive always associated my 1st yr of uni with halls...
    it wont be the same in private accom
    i realllllllyyyyyyy hope we get uni accom...ill cryyyy if i dont!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.