Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Southern England nicer than Northern England Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    In the few places I've visited south from me they're generally as **** as each other.

Oh is that the general consensus? As somebody who lives relatively near to the Scottish border "the south" starts a lot higher up for me.
    It should be the general consensus for people living in England. Scotland has its own north south divide. Edinburgh and Lothian are wealthier than the north. Aberdeen, the granite/oil capital of Europe, was recently an exception on the north east coast because it generated lots of wealth in the Brent crude oil industry, which over the past 2 years has declined significantly as Iran and USA oil exports have reduced the global price of oil from over 120 dollars barrel, to just 20, resulting in hundreds of thousands of jobs lost in Aberdeen.

ReputationRep:
    it depends as the 3 worst towns are all in the south (Crawley, slough and Luton)
    but then the south has the best connections nationally and internationally
    however, the north is cheaper than the south so it really personal opinion
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i'm from the south and would say south as my business is a asset fed business and assets are plentiful here where as cash is more avalible up north

ReputationRep:
    I've never been up north apart from to uni open day, have always been down south. In my head though I think of the North as being very dark and gloomy idk if it's actually like that though

ReputationRep:
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    NORTH
    Greggs everywhere
    Chip shops
    Max 3 Poundland store in the same area
    Every 1 is called love there
    Strangers talk to each other in buses and public places
    So many chavs

SOUTH

Posh people
    People are more reserved there
    Couldn't find Greggs
    Nice expensive Shops
    Was in Bath once and the only supermarket I could find was Waitrose

ReputationRep:
    In the north, the people are generally more polite and friendlier to strangers. People from the north will probably know what I mean. There's just a bit of a difference between how people interact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I was born and raised in the south,so I'll go with the south. I have been up north a few times but I didn't really like it
    Born and bred up north and I prefer the south 100%, so much of the north is a s**t hole (I'm from Preston so I'm allowed to say this)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfcFob)
    Born and bred up north and I prefer the south 100%, so much of the north is a s**t hole (I'm from Preston so I'm allowed to say this)
    Yeah, Preston is a bit ****. The problem with the north is that it's hard to get a job if you are a minority like me lol. The south has a lot of jobs but its expensive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I was born and raised in the south,so I'll go with the south. I have been up north a few times but I didn't really like it
    I was born and raised in the north, so I'll go with north. I've been down south a few times but I didn't really like it.

More seriously though,

Everything is cheaper here, the scenery is better, the people are more friendly, the beer is vastly better and crime is almost non existent where I live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    Yeah, Preston is a bit ****. The problem with the north is that it's hard to get a job if you are a minority like me lol. The south has a lot of jobs but its expensive.
    God I know! It's taken me nearly a year to find a part time job and the pay is rubbish 😐

The perks of living up north, eh?

ReputationRep:
    West Sussex=best Sussex

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.