Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsmann)
    One more question. Let's say I need to stop the car and I'm driving in 2nd gear or whatever.
    It really depends what gear your in but i'll cover the lower gears first.

1st, 2nd, 3rd gear
    • Check mirrors to assess how far the car is behind you/ other hazards
    • Release your right foot from the accelerator and break gently
    • The breaking should be increased (breaking harder), eventually the car will start to struggle (judder) and this is when you should put the clutch down
    • It is often ideal to place the car into 1st gear here rather than when you have stopped, but as a learner at the beginning you may be taught to stop then change into 1st gear

4th and 5th
    Generally if your in a higher gear then you'll be slowing down over a larger distance etc and it is not advised to travel with the clutch down for large periods of time as it limits engine braking.

You should slow your speed until you can change to a lower gear whilst continuing braking.

For example if im in 5th doing 60 i would
    - take foot off accelerator and begin braking
    - once slowed down to around 40 or so i would remain breaking with my right foot, place the clutch down with my left foot and shift into 3rd gear and bring the clutch back up. During all of this i would still be braking and so slowing down. Once the car begins to struggle you should be almost at a complete stop so i would put the clutch down and place the car into 1st and probably leave the clutch down.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! it was very useful during my lesson. Today I got to drive around my town and I did a lot of turns. Which were pretty hard. Luckily there was no traffic on My steering is getting better. The biggest problem is the gears, I have to look at the gearstick to see how to move to what gear and so I steer really badly into the kerb.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    practice will make perfect i'm sure - My first lesson is tomorrow,and the tips seem really handy!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My first lesson didn't go that badly - i press accelerator and brakes too hard occasionally, or aint that steady on accelerator - but i'm sure that will come. I only went into the kerb once - so overall pretty good going i think!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I break too hardly too. Don't worry about it you will improve greatly in your next lesson (I did). But I still keep going into kerbs!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i was amazed i only did it the once, and it was only a moment lapse of concentration - 90 degree turns and lots of them where i practice - would have preferred a disused carpark - but apparently theres nowhere else to go in my town.

I have a 2 hour session on monday - i'm really looking forward to it - been counting forward the weeks and looking to sit my test just after christmas - should have done 45-50 hours of learning by then, hopefully i'll have a handle oif this driving stuff by then! (but i'm already thinking i won't pass 1st time... I think too much!)

ReputationRep:
    ive got my first driving lesson tomorrow :afraid: i'll let you all know how it goes :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    don't worry about it - i had my second one today, and started doing hill starts/stops, and changing gears, plus lots of junctions. Next week i'm moving onto driving the busier roads...i'm quite amazed by how quick i'm picking it up.

ReputationRep:
    ive just got back from my first driving lesson and i loved it! i drove along a kinda quiet road near where i live, just getting used to the gears and everything. My steering is a bit iffy lol, i couldnt quite tell if i was in the middle of the road or veering towards the other side but my intructor didnt have to pull the steering wheel over much, also i kinda kept forgetting to take my foot off the accelerator when changing gears and to depress the clutch but overall it went quite well
    cant wait til next week for my next lesson, ive gotta practice using a dinner plate as a steering wheel as im doing left and right turns next
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    the steering gets better - i only had problems forgetting to turn it quickly back after turning.

I have a problem of forgetting to bring the clutch up after changing gear - oops....

ReputationRep:
    my instructor had to tell me to slow down as well never thought that would happen,lol
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i wasn't in a high enough gear on my 1st lesson to need to slow down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    i wasn't in a high enough gear on my 1st lesson to need to slow down.
    aww,lol im just glad i didnt stall the car or do that kangaroo jump thing when you try to move the car (i was terrified of doing that lol)

ReputationRep:
    What's the kangaroo jumping thing?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you get used to it. Yesterday I drove all the way to another mini-city. It was sooo much fun going at 50mph! I also did a lot of junction practise, unfortunately my right turning is still poor, I keep cutting the corner and almost crashed into another car but thankfully my instructor pulled the steering wheel. But driving at high speeds is surprisingly fun.

ReputationRep:
    My first lesson is saturday. I'm terrified!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <(+_+)>)
    My first lesson is saturday. I'm terrified!
    i was terrified before my first lesson too but when i was actually driving the car i loved it! it helped to read a few books for learner drivers beforehand, i found the BSM book to be really helpful
    good luck for saturday and hope your lesson goes well :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    i was doing national speed limit on my first lesson

ReputationRep:
    this thread has brought back so many memories, and has reminded me how much fun i used to find drivin, my advice is to take it at your own pace, some people will whizz through really quick and annoyingly remind you how much they could do after x number of lessons or weeks but ignore them! for me it took quite a good few lessons to do the basics and then after a slow start i finally started to get it, this thread has made me reminise about my learner days!

ReputationRep:
    oh and good luck in all your lessons and tests to those undertaking them!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.