Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Mr Speaker,

Why did the Secretary of State for Education not improve the education of the United Kingdom and fix many societal issues by supporting my National Education Bill and what are his thoughts on re-instating Section 28 of the Local Government Act 1988?
    In terms of Section 28, I personally would re-instate it.

With regards to your bill, I probably actually support more of it now, than I did at the time. And as I said then, there are bits of it that I do agree with! However, I think implementing something like that, in particular about trying to promote the UK positively isn't as easy to do unbiasedly, and is imo, on par with brainwashing them to think we only do the right thing.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I will continue to answer the other questions a bit later!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    This is obviously a sector which we do need to see progression in, and whilst I think the bursaries for studying these degrees were a great incentive, I see why there is a need for funding to be sustainable, hence the removal of the bursaries. Asking about them progressing is quite a broad subject, so if there's something in particular you want to know my thoughts on, then ask away! Otherwise, I think that we possibly need to see about giving more information about this kind of education when people are choosing their A levels, so that they have a better idea of what it really entails (though maybe that'd put them off! )
    Should AHPs be required to attend university to achieve their full L5 qualification and subsequent recognition as a healthcare professional or would reverting back to training colleges be a more suitable process, considering academic achievement and the ability to learn practically, understand care policies/procedures and more importantly actually provide care are not intertwined?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    In terms of Section 28, I personally would re-instate it.
    mfw

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Mr Speaker,

Could the Secretary of State outline his plans for improving our poor knowledge of modern foreign languages?*
    I agree that MFLs should have a greater emphasis on, and unfortunately, this is something I totally overlooked in my SoI - I would indeed make it compulsory to learn at KS4 (in a similar way as it is for some public schools). Having it compulsory at this stage, I reckon would mean more actually take it up for GCSE, which leaves the door open for A level, when the decision comes to that.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    I'd like to ask the SoS for Education if he agrees with me on lifting the ban on the creation of grammar schools, while also focusing on improving standards of education in our comprehensive schools across the country?
    Absolutely! And I do believe that by introducing more grammar schools, that will help relieve pressure on other schools, both in terms of class size, as well as being able to teach more directly to a more similar standard rather than trying to stretch the brighter, but also ensure the less bright understand!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Yes.
    Excellent - I would have to say...

...Music!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Should AHPs be required to attend university to achieve their full L5 qualification and subsequent recognition as a healthcare professional or would reverting back to training colleges be a more suitable process, considering academic achievement and the ability to learn practically, understand care policies/procedures and more importantly actually provide care are not intertwined?
    To be totally honest, it's not something that I've given masses of thought. However, I think it's certainly an interesting concept to have training colleges which are specifically designated for this purpose. I suppose I wouldn't oppose universities still offering the training for this qualification as an extention to how they provide it already, so whilst it still be provided by a university, have it so it's more like a training college.?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    mfw

I should say there are probably some bits I agree with more in it, than others!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the question. I think it's important to continue to advertise about other opportunities, in particular apprenticeships. I think a lot of this comes down from stigma around not going to university, which is something we need to tackle. The situation has improved from years ago, and I think as time progresses, and more and more people take alternative routes for further education, the situation will help itself. A key factor will be ensuring that teachers are more aware of alternatives, so that they can give more of an unbiased overview on options like uni, apprenticeships, and others, and it's something we should monitor in schools to ensure teachers are not being biased.
    The doesn't really answer the question, especially given those advising the next steps are well aware of the alternatives, yet over 60% of college students believe that the careers service has a clear bias in favour of university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The doesn't really answer the question, especially given those advising the next steps are well aware of the alternatives, yet over 60% of college students believe that the careers service has a clear bias in favour of university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think if over 60% of students believe their careers service has a bias, then they are not fully aware of the alternatives, and the opportunities they bring, or they wouldn't be so biased, if they really knew the benefits of each.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think if over 60% of students believe their careers service has a bias, then they are not fully aware of the alternatives, and the opportunities they bring, or they wouldn't be so biased, if they really knew the benefits of each.
    But the interest of the governments isn't to do what's best for people, it's to do what's best for their statistics, I.e. to funnel ad many people as possible towards university; the second Blair opened up university to more people the system was going down hill, and the "conservative" governments saying "let's try to push towards making uni compulsory" simply made it worse, all in the name of statistics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

Would the secretary of State for Education agree with me in saying that the daily mile project, as outlined in the government's statement of intent has many proven benefits not only physically, but mentally including improved concentration within lessons.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Mr Speaker,

Would the secretary of State for Education agree with me in saying that the daily mile project, as outlined in the government's statement of intent has many proven benefits not only physically, but mentally including improved concentration within lessons.
    I most definitely would! Perhaps I should also thank the Rt Hon Gentleman for the initial suggestion of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm away at the moment sadly but Ill try to get all my questions as shadow SoS for public sector.

Firstly would the SoS answer if he will reply to my questions and quires made about his SoI, as far as I am aware they remain unanswered in the SoI thread.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker :banghead::banghead:

I know i am not a member but I want to take this moment to ask the SOS for education......if

He will support me in a motion of no confidence against yourself?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I'm away at the moment sadly but Ill try to get all my questions as shadow SoS for public sector.

Firstly would the SoS answer if he will reply to my questions and quires made about his SoI, as far as I am aware they remain unanswered in the SoI thread.
    Sorry, just in your post as SSoS, I only actually saw one question mark looking back, the question being:

"I am very cautious of demanding exam boards have to have questions on anything, especially if the exam boards then don't have a question on it, what happens to the grades of all the students?"
    My answer to this is that the boards would be monitored to ensure they do have a question on it. If they don't, then the exam would simply be graded like any other exam... If they didn't include a question on it, they'd still have the exam out of 100 marks or however many, and so that would still give a grade.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This question session has ended.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.