help - strange/conflicting advice Watch

silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i'm aware of these senior status law programmes which only take two years, but i don't think i should be trying to compromise. it just doesn't seem necessary. and will it really make me stand out?
SHAC attack!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by silence)
i'm aware of these senior status law programmes which only take two years, but i don't think i should be trying to compromise. it just doesn't seem necessary. and will it really make me stand out?
Of course it will, you are showing employers that you were willing to do an extra year of study which means you should have consolidated your knowledge much more than rushing it all into one year.

Obviously its up to you, I'm sure you will get a job whatever you do
Simon Myerson QC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by silence)
No. Check the qualifications of recent pupils/partners on websites. It's an irrelevance.
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
to update this thread - i've spoken with all sorts of people from HR people at top 10 firms in the city to a partner at a magic circle firm. they've all echoed the general consensus that doing the GDL is no hindrance whatsoever.

on the other hand, my dad is still persisting that not doing a law degree will be the biggest mistake of my life and that he himself would rather hire someone with a 2:1 in law than a 1st in english (my course). he believes that the non-law grads receive inadequate training on the GDL and only end up doing boring work on processing deals once at a firm rather than dealing with intricate legal issues.

my conclusion is that the man is clearly deluded and no logic or research of my own (or others) can persuade him otherwise. thanks to everyone for the advice and thoughts on this one.
DenningsWig
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
I find this all quite odd for a man of obvious intellect.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (483)
46.67%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (320)
30.92%
I don't have an opinion (232)
22.42%

Watched Threads