"Disagreeing with homosexuality is not homophobic"

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What ever did homosexuals do to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    So, being gay is fine, but in doing so you must deny yourself of sex and romance, otherwise you're a disagreeable person. Logic...
    i dont think his point is: you can be gay but not not do any gay acts

whats he trying to say overall is he doesn't agree/like homesexuals because they do gay acts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnr_23)
    i dont think practising homosexuals are disagreeable people, i just dont advocate it
    So what they are doing is, in your view, disagreeable, yes? Then I go back to my previous point, you think it's okay for them to be gay but must not be involved in relationships or sex. Doesn't make sense.

(Original post by Hashtosh302)

whats he trying to say overall is he doesn't agree/like homesexuals because they do gay acts
    He said above that being homosexual is fine, but the acts that homosexuals commit are disagreeable. That's literally what he said.

ReputationRep:

lol i never said i dont like homosexuals?????
    also im a she

ReputationRep:
    So what they are doing is, in your view, disagreeable, yes? Then I go back to my previous point, you think it's okay for them to be gay but must not be involved in relationships or sex. Doesn't make sense.

He said above that being homosexual is fine, but the acts that homosexuals commit are disagreeable. That's literally what he said.
    yeah I know but he only said its fine so that people dont call him homophobic etc but really he doesn't agree with it

ReputationRep:
    yeah I know but he only said its fine so that people dont call him homophobic etc but really he doesn't agree with it
    In either case, you said that they said they don't like homosexuals because of this and that. They said no such thing, you're just implying.

ReputationRep:
    I dont agree with this nonsense that people say, they like gay people just not the act.Thats stupid.Its like saying im fine with straight people but they mustnt have sex ever.Its unrealistic.And peoples actions influence how you perceive them. If someone does something you dont like you're much more likely to dislike them as a person.Really its just a subtle way of passing judgment on someone without seeming to.

ReputationRep:
    In either case, you said that they said they don't like homosexuals because of this and that. They said no such thing, you're just implying.
    logic....

ReputationRep:
    logic....
    Logic needn't be applied when there is no debate, I'm merely highlighting the inaccuracy and pointlessness of your post.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's absurd to disgaree with something that someone has no choice over. Like disagreeing with someone's skin tone or hair texture.

Then yet again people let religion control their lives and people are allowed their own opinions I guess... discriminating people because you think is wrong is most definitely not allowed though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    I dont agree with this nonsense that people say, they like gay people just not the act.Thats stupid.Its like saying im fine with straight people but they mustnt have sex ever.Its unrealistic.And peoples actions influence how you perceive them. If someone does something you dont like you're much more likely to dislike them as a person.Really its just a subtle way of passing judgment on someone without seeming to.
    This. 100%.

In my mind, anyone who "disagrees" with homosexuality (or, you know, hates it) is just a plain bigot, especially if they are saying so because of something they read in their book.

ReputationRep:
    You might as well "disagree" with people for being Japanese or female or 60 years old, then say that you have no prejudice against them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I think it's absurd to disgaree with something that someone has no choice over. Like disagreeing with someone's skin tone or hair texture.

Then yet again people let religion control their lives and people are allowed their own opinions I guess... discriminating people because you think is wrong is most definitely not allowed though.
    Can you disagree with paedophila?(attraction to pre-pubescent children)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Peadophilia isnt a sexual orientation.And peadophiles could have sex with people their own age they just choose not to.

ReputationRep:
    What does it mean to disagree with it? To think it would be preferable if it didn't occur?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and if you are here to compare homosexuality and paedophile then you shouldn't be here rn x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Peadophilia isnt a sexual orientation.And peadophiles could have sex with people their own age they just choose not to.
    I think she meant people who have the attraction, not necessarily those who have molested children. From what I understand they don't choose to be that way, and it's viewed treated as a mental disorder.

A gay person has the choice to have sex with the opposite sex, a straight person has the choice of having sex with the same sex. Most choose not to because they are not attracted so I am guessing that's why paedophiles choose not to have a relationship with adults.

Though if they act on their attraction to children you cannot compare the two, as they would be harming the children whereas LGBT people aren't harming anyone. I do have feel sorry for those who have not acted on it though, I would be full of self-loathing if I was in their place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Yes, and if you are here to compare homosexuality and paedophile then you shouldn't be here rn x
    I'm not comparing the two. I'm highlighting that you can disagree with homosexuality despite it not being a choice just like you can disagree with paedophila(as people don't choose to be attracted to children)

(Original post by a_bc)
    What are your thoughts, TSR?

homophobiaˌhɒməˈfəʊbɪə, həʊmə-/noun
    Dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people

So it depends how your disagrrement manifests itself. If you are prejudice or have a dislike then yes that would amount to being homophobic.

In reality nobody is going to care as long as you keep your opinions to yourself and dont act prejudicially.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Some people whether through nature or nurture end up with a sexual attraction to children. Nobody would choose to have that but people have it nonetheless.

The principle that people are using that you can't be blamed for who you are 'like having green eyes' must extend to the case of paedophiles. Otherwise, your argument is essentially: people can't be blamed for who they are unless it is something I disagree with.

Since we all know paedophilic acts are wrong that can only mean that there is moral distinction between feelings and actions.

And if you accept that and understand that people have different beliefs about what is and isn't immoral, you will see that from the point of view of someone who believes homosexuality is immoral it does not imply that they are homophobic.

I don't think homosexual acts are immoral but we should be tolerant of people and respect their right to have whatever beliefs they do.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.