Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do people think would be the best things for me to do to get a mortgage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    My wife is earning. I am the homemaker. Reverse role psychology, or so it would seem.
    The mortgage lending rules have changed quite recently. It is much more difficult to get a loan of the same amounts you would have received say 10 years ago. A sole earner and a child decrease your mortgage offer significantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    The mortgage lending rules have changed quite recently. It is much more difficult to get a loan of the same amounts you would have received say 10 years ago. A sole earner and a child decrease your mortgage offer significantly.
    What about our credit scores? Both very good to excellent. Don't they count??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    What about our credit scores? Both very good to excellent. Don't they count??
    Credit scores won't make a difference if you're not earning enough in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliemogs)
    Credit scores won't make a difference if you're not earning enough in the first place.
    Well I paid over £6000 rent for this property a couple of months ago, so that means we have until april to move out i think. We can have a meeting with a bank manager or two, and get some quotes in before deciding what to do next.

We may even chose to rent for another year, and without wheels we are limited again, as to where we can live, but this all needs to be looked at.

Thanks for your input.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.